- Legends signing Dave Hickson autobiography this weekend
- Evertonian Bill on his hero Dave Hickson
- EXCLUSIVE: Walton Hall Park stadium designs “done”
- Walton Hall Park plans could be submitted at start of next season
- Robles praises coach Bergara
- Blues quartet to be assessed
- The five most successful Everton loan deals
- Ross will be England’s greatest
- Baines suffers injury with England
- No heart of Stone for our John
Neville: Don’t blame Kenwright
Phil Neville has urged Evertonians not to blame Bill Kenwright for the poor start to the season.
Everton are yet to win a league game this season and sit at the foot of the Premier League table. With fans firing barbs at Kenwright for his lack of investment in the playing squad this summer, Neville told the Daily Mail that the fans should be blaming the players for the lack of results.
“There’s no bigger blue than Bill Kenwright,” said Neville. “He is a fan, and to see him there made us aware we are all in this together. Nobody gets criticised when we lose more than the chairman. If we lose, it always tends to be his fault.
“As players, we take responsibility. It’s our fault and we are where we are because of the players and nobody else.”
Everton’s club captain also stated that relegation should not be on the cards for the Toffees, and reflected on the 2005-06 season to make his point.
“I remember saying to Leon Osman after 10 games ‘You don’t think we’ll get relegated do you?’ and he said ‘Don”t worry, Everton are traditionally slow starters and our spirit will show through.’ And that little comment has stayed with me throughout my Everton career.
“Now our spirit needs to shine through again. He still remembers saying that too. We were flying back from Arsenal and near the bottom and couldn’t buy a win, and couldn’t see where the next win was coming from.”