- Martinez: We will take Goodison effect to Walton Hall Park
- Jags: New stadium is a must
- Everton v Wolfsburg
- Howard: We want to win a cup this year
- Walton Hall Park plans a step in the right direction
- Kenwright confirms Walton Hall Park plans
- Martinez gives injury update on quintet
- Mirallas hails Blues support
- Walton Hall Park Stadium announcement soon
- Jags: Lukaku never scores with his right foot!
Baines: Experience from 2009 cup run vital
The left back was rested for Monday’s 4-0 victory over Sunderland ahead of the all-Merseyside tie and having already played for the Toffees in the 2009 cup run, that ended in defeat in the final to Chelsea at Wembley, Baines insists that those with experience and with local ties will help the other players understand what the occasion is all about.
“The experience of being there before should help us,” continued the man who struck one of the successful semi-final spot-kicks. “All the lads are a little bit more experienced as well. Most of the lads are internationals and used to playing on big stages, so I don’t think that will be a problem.
“It’s important to have experienced those types of games before. Obviously the disappointment of not winning the final in 2009 will help spur us on.
“I suppose it does make a difference being from Liverpool. You try not to get too caught up in it but obviously you hear first hand what it means to people around you. I think it’s important for the local lads to make the other lads understand how much it means.
“I don’t think it’s difficult to grasp really. It’s a big week of preparation, so it won’t be too difficult. But we are there to make sure everyone understands.”