- Blues linked to Parisian star. Again.
- Intelligent Atsu will be important for Everton
- This. Is. Saturday.
- Atsu: Chelsea players told me how great Everton is
- Opinion: Toiling Toffees will improve despite opening day repeat scoreline
- Martinez: Barkley won’t be out for five months
- Rumour: Blues to sign Song on loan?
- Barkley will play again this season
- Toffees eye Marseille ace
- Naismith disappointed with draw
Moyes hopeful over duo extending contracts
The Everton pair are in the last year of their contracts and, with both players being in their mid-thirties, Moyes understands that they may want to see how they are feeling towards the end of the season to see if they are fit enough to continue playing.
“What I’ve said is that in time we’ll look at them,” said Moyes on Friday. “They’re both at a later stage in their careers but I would certainly be recommending that both of them sign for at least another 12 months if possible.
“You have to make sure that they’re both able to contribute. No matter who they are, I’m not here to be the guy who just says we should keep them here because I like them – I would never do that. But as long as the two of them can continue to contribute, then I think they’re worthy.
“They will both have six months to go on their contracts come January, so I would think that, because of the contribution they’re both making, it would be worth keeping them for another year.
“But that’s a [conversation] for the board and myself to have.
“I think it’s also something we need to make sure that Phil and Sylvain [are happy with], that they feel they are good enough and able enough to continue playing at this level for another 18 months.
“Both of them are really good professionals and I would expect them to answer me straight if they think they’re capable of doing that.”