And despite the 33-year-old defender completing the 90 minutes, he is now rated doubtful to figure in any of the Toffees’ remaining four fixtures of the campaign.
But he hinted that some of Everton‘s youth stars would be handed an opportunity to impress – including 19-year-old Dowell, who scored a superb hat-trick for the Under-21 side earlier in the week.
“As you can imagine, we’ve picked up a few injuries and suspensions,” Martinez said in is pre-match press conference on Thursday morning.
“Phil Jagielka got through the (Manchester United) game when he had no right to be fully fit – obviously he’s going to be missing now but it’s too early to know if he’ll miss the rest of the season.
“Gareth Barry and Seamus Coleman will be missing, and Ramiro Funes Mori is in the second game of his (three match) suspension.
“So we may the opportunity for some good, young players to come along.
“He is, clearly,” Martinez said when asked if Dowell was in his thoughts to play against Bournemouth.
“We saw Tom Davies and Callum Connolly making their debuts and I thought they were very impressive in the manner they did that.
“Kieran has been outstanding with his performances and I feel he is ready to be given a first team opportunity.”