Everton have scrapped plans to built a 50,000 seater stadium on Walton Hall Park after it proved too difficult to attract the right kind of retail investment into the scheme.
The scheme had been concocted with Liverpool City Council and would have effectively built a new village on the site, but Mayor Joe Anderson said that investment in that type of plan was not forthcoming.
Instead, it has been revealed that two other sites in North Liverpool have been identified as potential stadium sites, with Anderson claiming a new ground could be built within three years.
“Most people will be aware that I did give a commitment to Everton to support a potential scheme at Walton Hall Park with the aim of regenerating the area and creating new jobs,” he said.
“However, through the work that the club and the council have done, we have concluded that effectively building a new village in north Liverpool with lots of retail space is a step too far in this current economic climate.”
Latest posts by NSNO Staff (see all)
- Koeman: The Everton family will help Seamus recover - March 25, 2017
- Coleman and McCarthy injured on international duty - March 24, 2017
- Lukaku: Decision made on Everton contract - March 24, 2017
- Plans for 50,000 capacity Bramley Moore Dock stadium expected by end of 2017 - March 23, 2017