January 18, 2021, 10:21:54 PM

Author Topic: Movie Thread IV  (Read 126781 times)

December 18, 2012, 03:25:07 PM
Reply #1065

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Hehe, L'Obbit.  Not sure if that's the French, or Yorkshire version.

Without any spoilers, let me know if there are -

* numerous camera shots swinging round a high and wide landscape while various people walk.

* Lots of shots of Gandalf looking very worried, and saying stuff about storms / horizons / darkness / things being fortold and or being beset.

* Bilbo doing a The Office style Martin Freeman open eyed gaze at camera.

* Elves talking the talk but not doing much walking, while the cinematographer tries to blind you to fuck with white and blinding white lighting and sets.

* Much foreboding, followed by more foreboding.

* A moment of stark quietness, followed by swift action and much noise.

And please tell me there is no Legolas in this one.

My theory on a Peter Jackson film isn't as in depth as yours;

If the entire film consists of extreme long shots and close ups, you're watching a Peter Jackson movie.

December 18, 2012, 05:41:22 PM
Reply #1066

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Hehe, L'Obbit.  Not sure if that's the French, or Yorkshire version.

Without any spoilers, let me know if there are -

* numerous camera shots swinging round a high and wide landscape while various people walk.

* Lots of shots of Gandalf looking very worried, and saying stuff about storms / horizons / darkness / things being fortold and or being beset.

* Bilbo doing a The Office style Martin Freeman open eyed gaze at camera.

* Elves talking the talk but not doing much walking, while the cinematographer tries to blind you to fuck with white and blinding white lighting and sets.

* Much foreboding, followed by more foreboding.

* A moment of stark quietness, followed by swift action and much noise.

And please tell me there is no Legolas in this one.

It'll be done twice as much too, seeing as it's got twice as many shots in.
“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

December 19, 2012, 06:44:09 AM
Reply #1067

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
I don't like found footage. I can't think of one film I liked of that format, I'm not too keen on REC and Spanish horror is one of my favourite genres, which suggests I'm not singling out Cloverfield.

The marketing of Cloverfield blew me away, it was the first piece of viral marketing I got involved in and I got totally sucked in and I looked forward to it as much as, say, The Matrix. The film failed to live up to the hype.

Poor script, Caplan is an awesome and was totally suffocated by the piss poor script.

I've taken baths deeper than the characters, maybe that was the point, but I need a little character development to buy into them, and I saw none.

An entirely unmemorable film for something that was billed as an epic monster movie (again, great marketing), I realise now while writing this I'd have to go back and watch again to find more stuff I dislike about it. But then I'd have to get my hands on a time machine and travel back 5 years and buy into the hype again, and to be honest, it's not worth the trouble.

Hype is always a bad bed brother when it comes to any kind of art.  To fully appreciate something it is always best to be as close to a clean white canvas going in as it is possible to be.  Very hard with something marketed like mad, or involving well known artists or tied down by genre.

Maybe it was because I expected exactly nothing from the movie why I enjoyed it so much, I also saw it on TV which, unusually for a film, is exactly where I think this kind of movie works best on, as opposed to a large big screen which sits uncomfortably with a "filmed on HD Cam" format (how many home movies of yours have you watched on an IMAX? [Insert joke here]).

The characters are shallow, hipster type annoying folk, and that is to the detriment of the first 25 minutes or so, there would have been better ways of showing a "normal" situation before the shit hits fan, without having such a big bunch of knobjockeys to put up with for so long, but for me that just made the death scenes all the more enjoyable! Probably not an intended facet, but there you go.

What I really like, and what it did great IMO was telling a microscopic story on a B Movie scale while somewhere another AAA monster movie was going off all around them.  We, sitting here watching, were only privvy to whatever had been filmed on the handhelds. Glimpses of the bigger picture were there, but they were snapshots, teasing us.

Its consistency on this, from start to finish, its use of NOT showing you things another film would swing its cameras round to reveal, its use of the camera as the least annoying character in the film, along with the idea that your watching a film within another more expensive but never released film, is what I found really fun.

This macro / micro storytelling has been done a bit to death since of course which waters down that particular effect, but at the time I watched it, it drew me in.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:46:14 AM by NomadskiEFC »
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 19, 2012, 06:47:56 AM
Reply #1068

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'd never heard of Cloverfield until I saw it. I was in France at the time, so saw minimal marketing.

Blair Witch marketing was superb though. It took me a while to work out it was all fake (which was before I saw the movie which I thought was boring).
“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

December 22, 2012, 06:39:12 PM
Reply #1069

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Saw L'Obbit last night. Very meh. Could have cut at least an hour out by not showing everyone running around New Zealand.

Followed a very similar pattern to the first Lord of the Rings. And the cgi was very suspect in certain areas.

Glad I saw it at the movies though. Didn't really see the difference with the 48 fps.

December 22, 2012, 08:56:32 PM
Reply #1070

Bluenose 91

I thought Cloverfield was shite as well.

Making another one aren't they?

December 23, 2012, 01:09:55 AM
Reply #1071

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
I thought Cloverfield was shite as well.

Making another one aren't they?

That would be a mistake, from someone who enjoyed the first. No need.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 23, 2012, 04:02:30 AM
Reply #1072

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
The Hobbit was amazing, more accessible than LOTR (as it should be) and I got hooked on the main characters early on.  For me it was much better paced too.  Loved every minute and can't wait for the next one.

December 23, 2012, 04:40:50 AM
Reply #1073

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I saw it last night, and I honestly couldn't even tell you what happened. I remember some trolls taking some horses and the tea at the beginning, but for everything else, I forget. I was like this with LOTR too.

Martin Freeman was very good, and I was surprised to see Dr Who in it too.

December 24, 2012, 12:24:27 AM
Reply #1074

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Cooper is in everything awesome right now. He's this years Fassbender.

The Place Beyond the Pines Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Ryan Gosling Movie HD

December 24, 2012, 12:55:48 AM
Reply #1075

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Anything more beautiful than a Malick film?

TO THE WONDER - OFFICIAL TRAILER (HD)

December 31, 2012, 05:37:06 AM
Reply #1076

pjk

NSNO Subscriber
Woohooo!!! Bladerunners on"now" BBC HD. what a classic.
As Tacitus said: "To plunder, butcher, steal, these things they misname empire: they make a desolation and they call it peace."

December 31, 2012, 07:40:52 AM
Reply #1077

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Woohooo!!! Bladerunners on"now" BBC HD. what a classic.

got me all excited then :( I'm reading a book by Philip k dick at the moment so I'd be well up for some bladerunner.

I'm watching loved ones at the moment. sounds Australian I think. gory torture and other shit that I generally don't go in for (see hostel etc) but I'm actually enjoying this.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 31, 2012, 08:06:13 AM
Reply #1078

The Analog Kid

Just finished watching Training Day on ITV4. Still boss.

December 31, 2012, 04:18:55 PM
Reply #1079

marky v

Jack Reacher - Not great but worth a watch, a little tame for my taste