January 15, 2021, 08:37:29 PM

Author Topic: Movie Thread IV  (Read 126632 times)

December 13, 2012, 04:11:44 AM
Reply #90

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Actually you're right. My first wife was even worse.
“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

December 15, 2012, 05:32:46 PM
Reply #91

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I want to see The Hobbit. I expect they'll do a better job of it compared to Lord of the Rings, purely because they have the experience, and the book is a lot shorter, so three films from it should be more detailed.
“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

December 17, 2012, 05:34:12 PM
Reply #92

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I thought Cloverfield was one of the better ones of that genre. The first half hour was boring and unnecessary, but it was entertaining.

Going with my brother in law to see L'Obbit on Friday.

December 18, 2012, 05:41:22 PM
Reply #93

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Hehe, L'Obbit.  Not sure if that's the French, or Yorkshire version.

Without any spoilers, let me know if there are -

* numerous camera shots swinging round a high and wide landscape while various people walk.

* Lots of shots of Gandalf looking very worried, and saying stuff about storms / horizons / darkness / things being fortold and or being beset.

* Bilbo doing a The Office style Martin Freeman open eyed gaze at camera.

* Elves talking the talk but not doing much walking, while the cinematographer tries to blind you to fuck with white and blinding white lighting and sets.

* Much foreboding, followed by more foreboding.

* A moment of stark quietness, followed by swift action and much noise.

And please tell me there is no Legolas in this one.

It'll be done twice as much too, seeing as it's got twice as many shots in.

December 19, 2012, 06:47:56 AM
Reply #94

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'd never heard of Cloverfield until I saw it. I was in France at the time, so saw minimal marketing.

Blair Witch marketing was superb though. It took me a while to work out it was all fake (which was before I saw the movie which I thought was boring).

December 22, 2012, 06:39:12 PM
Reply #95

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Saw L'Obbit last night. Very meh. Could have cut at least an hour out by not showing everyone running around New Zealand.

Followed a very similar pattern to the first Lord of the Rings. And the cgi was very suspect in certain areas.

Glad I saw it at the movies though. Didn't really see the difference with the 48 fps.

December 23, 2012, 04:40:50 AM
Reply #96

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I saw it last night, and I honestly couldn't even tell you what happened. I remember some trolls taking some horses and the tea at the beginning, but for everything else, I forget. I was like this with LOTR too.

Martin Freeman was very good, and I was surprised to see Dr Who in it too.

December 31, 2012, 06:54:42 PM
Reply #97

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Jack Reacher - Not great but worth a watch, a little tame for my taste

Tom Cruise must be one of the most overated actors ever.

As for The Hobbit, all that I can remember from that movie now is the riddle scene. Derek is right, it is very bloated, but so were the LOTR trilogy too.

December 31, 2012, 07:39:11 PM
Reply #98

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Perhaps, I think him being a total crackpot doesn't help his case. Very hard to take someone seriously with those kinds of beliefs.

January 01, 2013, 08:27:19 PM
Reply #99

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Amazed at the Cruise love in on here. He is so annoying.

Sent from my cell.