January 18, 2021, 10:04:36 PM

Author Topic: Movie Thread IV  (Read 126778 times)

December 11, 2012, 10:06:13 PM
Reply #165

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
20 minutes into Terminator Salvation for the first time.

Not sure if I'll get much further.

EDIT: 25 minutes in and certain "McG" and the pair of hack writers should never, ever, work again.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:12:10 PM by craigeverton1878 »

December 12, 2012, 06:24:03 PM
Reply #166

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4&feature=player_embedded

Looks excellent. I love this drama > action tone they've got going on. Michael Shannon and Amy Adams are also two of the best actors working right now. I honestly can't think of a better actress than Amy Adams.

December 14, 2012, 12:29:43 AM
Reply #167

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

December 16, 2012, 02:58:19 PM
Reply #168

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
The LotR trilogy has put me off ever watching a Peter Jackson film again.

December 17, 2012, 01:48:14 AM
Reply #169

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
We almost went an entire year without someone mentioning Cloverfield.

Leave and don't come back.

December 17, 2012, 01:57:17 AM
Reply #170

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Dont say that! Craigevertons got an excellent taste in flicks from what I can gather, he cant hate Cloverfield!

IAmLegend is another one I enjoyed, which many people seemed to dislike. IRobot was another. Maybe Im a sucker for scifi, it would have to be REALLY bad for me not to get some enjoyment out of it, so long as it has a good "vision" of its environment (future / space etc).

Hell, I quite enjoyed Total Recall remake, but don't tell anyone about that.

I too enjoyed I Am Legend. Dunno why, just did.

No excuse for the Cloverfield love though

December 17, 2012, 01:59:40 AM
Reply #171

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Ah, did that have 3 mins of Russian dialogue? Saw a good quality version, but that put me off.

Am intrigued Craig, what didnt you like about it?

I've seen it just the once, and on my way out the door. So Instead of fobbing you off with the "it's just ded shit" answer, I'll come back on later and post a genuine reason.

Lates.

December 18, 2012, 03:23:17 PM
Reply #172

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Ah, did that have 3 mins of Russian dialogue? Saw a good quality version, but that put me off.

Am intrigued Craig, what didnt you like about it?

I don't like found footage. I can't think of one film I liked of that format, I'm not too keen on REC and Spanish horror is one of my favourite genres, which suggests I'm not singling out Cloverfield.

The marketing of Cloverfield blew me away, it was the first piece of viral marketing I got involved in and I got totally sucked in and I looked forward to it as much as, say, The Matrix. The film failed to live up to the hype.

Poor script, Caplan is an awesome and was totally suffocated by the piss poor script.

I've taken baths deeper than the characters, maybe that was the point, but I need a little character development to buy into them, and I saw none.

An entirely unmemorable film for something that was billed as an epic monster movie (again, great marketing), I realise now while writing this I'd have to go back and watch again to find more stuff I dislike about it. But then I'd have to get my hands on a time machine and travel back 5 years and buy into the hype again, and to be honest, it's not worth the trouble.

December 18, 2012, 03:25:07 PM
Reply #173

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Hehe, L'Obbit.  Not sure if that's the French, or Yorkshire version.

Without any spoilers, let me know if there are -

* numerous camera shots swinging round a high and wide landscape while various people walk.

* Lots of shots of Gandalf looking very worried, and saying stuff about storms / horizons / darkness / things being fortold and or being beset.

* Bilbo doing a The Office style Martin Freeman open eyed gaze at camera.

* Elves talking the talk but not doing much walking, while the cinematographer tries to blind you to fuck with white and blinding white lighting and sets.

* Much foreboding, followed by more foreboding.

* A moment of stark quietness, followed by swift action and much noise.

And please tell me there is no Legolas in this one.

My theory on a Peter Jackson film isn't as in depth as yours;

If the entire film consists of extreme long shots and close ups, you're watching a Peter Jackson movie.

December 24, 2012, 12:24:27 AM
Reply #174

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Cooper is in everything awesome right now. He's this years Fassbender.

The Place Beyond the Pines Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Ryan Gosling Movie HD

December 24, 2012, 12:55:48 AM
Reply #175

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Anything more beautiful than a Malick film?

TO THE WONDER - OFFICIAL TRAILER (HD)

January 01, 2013, 05:22:14 PM
Reply #176

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Almost every film of 2012 in under six minutes

2012: The Cinescape