0 (0%)
Osman (sub)
0 (0%)
Naismith (sub)
0 (0%)
EVERY ONE OF THE BEAUTIFUL BASTARDS
38 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Manchester United v Everton  (Read 94770 times)

December 04, 2013, 04:55:20 AM
Reply #135

Bluedylan

This keeps getting thrown around here and I still don't buy it.

I know you're fairly new to the site mate, so maybe don't have a handle on who had what opinion on him, so that's fair enough.There is the odd minority that were supporters of Moyes and are now critical of him, in fairness mainly due to what happened in the run up to and after he left. Other than that, the people who tended to support him still do and the people who were always critical still are, and I respect both sides for sticking to their opinion.

Cheers for the info. I've got an idea with a few people because the arguments still seem to crop up in different threads, but you're right, I don't know who thinks/thought what re: Moyes on the whole.

I was always a massive Moyes supporter, and I've had to really adjust my long held opinions since he left, because of his actions and his comments. It's not been easy, because I genuinely thought more of him as a man. So I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm surprised that both sides of the pro-Moyes/anti-Moyes debate 'are sticking to their argument' as you say.

I do think the people who have always been anti-Moyes are perhaps still going a bit too far with some of their comments.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:59:55 AM by Bluedylan »
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

December 04, 2013, 05:00:58 AM
Reply #136

bacon sarnie

December 04, 2013, 05:11:32 AM
Reply #137

Gash

Global Moderator
I do think the people who have always been anti-Moyes are perhaps still going a bit too far with some of their comments.

That's part of the point, their comments have generally been pretty consistent. I don't think there's much that's gone to far, it's not like anyone's wishing harm to him, at worst they want him to fail. Between you and me, they wanted that for him here as well so that they can say "I told you so" but don't tell anyone I said that.  ;)

I remember someone having a go at Les Trebilcock for his opinion, in reality it was pretty much the same thing Les had said for the last few years. People just seem to have become a bit more aware/sensitive to it since Moyes left.

December 04, 2013, 05:13:04 AM
Reply #138

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Simply simply lovely

December 04, 2013, 05:24:48 AM
Reply #139

sam of the south

I was always torn on Moyes.

Loved the spirit he crafted and the effort and belief he demanded from his players; The Moyes toothy smile and maniacal fist pump was impossible not to love.

The respectful rhetoric and demeanor that he displayed, gave us back that veneer of class that we had been lacking since Joe Royle.

The playing style was often not to my taste though.

I rarely felt comfortable in a game when he was manager, we often seemed to invite pressure.

Too many high balls to Cahill and then Fellaini turned possession into a hit and miss lottery.

However, the overriding feeling is one of pride that we had him.

Two poignant, yet fairly base banners that were held up at the match after Rooney left read: ' We hate you so much, because we loved you so much' and 'You could have been a God but you chose to be a devil'

Similar could be written of Moyes.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 04, 2013, 08:07:08 AM
Reply #140

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Moyes would never have been a God here. I don't think he has the mentality for it. He doesn't seem to be a winner like Rooney is. Too cautious maybe?

Found this and think if I was a manager I would reenact it for my team :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DBmZ61e_nVA
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

December 04, 2013, 08:09:03 AM
Reply #141

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
It won't embed sorry
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:17:15 AM by Lizz88 »
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

December 04, 2013, 08:22:29 AM
Reply #142

blueski

That's part of the point, their comments have generally been pretty consistent. I don't think there's much that's gone to far, it's not like anyone's wishing harm to him, at worst they want him to fail. Between you and me, they wanted that for him here as well so that they can say "I told you so" but don't tell anyone I said that.  ;)

I remember someone having a go at Les Trebilcock for his opinion, in reality it was pretty much the same thing Les had said for the last few years. People just seem to have become a bit more aware/sensitive to it since Moyes left.
I think moyes could have been considerably more gracious and classy in the press regarding everton than he's been which is probably going to influence some opinions
Nil Satis

December 04, 2013, 12:40:50 PM
Reply #143

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I've called him a bottler for years to be honest, because he is one

he is along the same lines as Gordon Lee, but without the charisma ;)

won nothing, had some good results, signed some excellent players, but in 20 years will be remembered as the man who managed us before Martinez took over

Or without the ability to spend (or inherit) British record transfer fees.

We were also terrible in the last year(s) of Gordon Lee so less of a platform for Howie to build on...

;)

December 04, 2013, 12:50:52 PM
Reply #144

Simon Paul

Administrator

Or without the ability to spend (or inherit) British record transfer fees.

We were also terrible in the last year(s) of Gordon Lee so less of a platform for Howie to build on...

;)

End product was the same though. And that's all most people reading history books will have to go on

December 04, 2013, 01:15:13 PM
Reply #145

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
End product was the same though. And that's all most people reading history books will have to go on

If they only read statistical books with no narrative, yes :)

Plus we're still some way off finding out what's happened after his period.

December 04, 2013, 04:01:35 PM
Reply #146

EFCtillidie

Anyone know if you can buy ale in the away end tonight??

I'm presuming you can?!

December 04, 2013, 04:15:31 PM
Reply #147

Dr. Sponge

I don't know what people expected from Moyes when he left. He's in a new job so has complete loyalty to Man Utd. Fellaini was always going to leave as well, and he owes a lot of his development to Moyes.

Whatever has happened since Moyes left hasn't damaged the respect I have for what he did at our club, he was a good servant.

I'm just glad we seem to be on the up under Martinez.

Although I do feel that the grudges held by some fans will make for a fantastic atmosphere tonight... So I fully endorse it 😏

December 04, 2013, 04:34:43 PM
Reply #148

wilbur

Anyone know if you can buy ale in the away end tonight??

I'm presuming you can?!

You have always been able to in the past but I read something the other day about the area surrounding the ground now being an alcohol free zone. Maybe best to have a couple beforehand just to be on the safe side.   :cheers:
“It was the best 10 years of my career, in fact they are the only team I ever actually played for. That’s what happens when you play for Everton, you forget the rest, the rest means nothing.” - Duncan Ferguson

December 04, 2013, 04:41:39 PM
Reply #149

cantoffee

I think the animosity will make for a great atmosphere so I am all for it.