2 (3.8%)
Gibson (Sub)
25 (47.2%)
Atsu (Sub)
1 (1.9%)
Mirallas (Sub)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Everton v Leicester  (Read 57539 times)

February 22, 2015, 11:21:36 PM
Reply #615

fubarruk

You would actually put money on "your" team getting relegated ? Never thought an Evertonian would do that to be honest.
To be honest, it was an off the cuff remark and no, couldn't bring myself to bet on us being relegated, I never include them in any accys or multiple bets purely as they tend to let me down, but betting against them...no

That being said, I was genuinely concerned a few weeks ago, slightly less now, but still concerned all the same, there are fundamental issues that continue not to be addressed.

If we can't beat Leicester at home, 6 wins all season, where is the next one coming from?

February 22, 2015, 11:23:23 PM
Reply #616

Yobo2008

To be honest, it was an off the cuff remark and no, couldn't bring myself to bet on us being relegated, I never include them in any accys or multiple bets purely as they tend to let me down, but betting against them...no

That being said, I was genuinely concerned a few weeks ago, slightly less now, but still concerned all the same, there are fundamental issues that continue not to be addressed.

If we can't beat Leicester at home, 6 wins all season, where is the next one coming from?
That is my concern.

February 22, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
Reply #617

toffee_scot

As people have said, we have a pretty big squad with loads of different options in players or formations, and we're still seeing 4-2-3-1 at snail's pace. Why not go 4-4-2 with Kone? Why not play two proper wingers? Why not play Barkley deeper if there's no space in the No. 10 part of the pitch? Why not go 3-5-2 at times?

Yeah it seems to be a bit of a mystery why Kone hasn't featured more recently especially has he's had a couple of decent games or at least cameo appearances plus I can't imagine there being any bad blood between him and Martinez as he was pretty much the first signing Roberto made when he first joined. But something tells me he might not quite be 100%, he played in a U21 fixture the last time and didn't travel to Bern. There were suggestions that he would have struggled to play and recover from the artificial surface.

I think Martinez has made a few changes but seems to struggle getting the balance between defence and attack right.  To be fair the last month he'd sorted out the defence although it meant we were poor going forward, but  we've actually scored 6 goals in the last 2 games whilst creating many other golden opportunities so I wonder if Martinez is slowly getting the general balance right.

I have also wondered, Martinez seems a very intelligent guy who knows his football and I'm sure if you asked him the pros and cons of a counterattacking style of play in a 3-5-2 formation he would deliver a 20,000 word dissertation that would get high praise within the world of sports academia. But is he perhaps a little too intelligent? Is he able to communicate effectively a particular complex tactic to a group of players or is he perhaps overloading the team with tactical theories that don't often translate to reality on the field? Maybe he does have the answer and is trying to implement it, but the players are just not on the same wavelength yet.

February 22, 2015, 11:25:14 PM
Reply #618

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Its horrible to watch at times as he just doesnt look like hes enjoying his football and has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

The weight of expectation on him is a contributing factor I think. Young lad being built up and when it doesn't go well he doubts himself.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

February 22, 2015, 11:27:16 PM
Reply #619

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

As people have said, we have a pretty big squad with loads of different options in players or formations, and we're still seeing 4-2-3-1 at snail's pace. Why not go 4-4-2 with Kone? Why not play two proper wingers? Why not play Barkley deeper if there's no space in the No. 10 part of the pitch? Why not go 3-5-2 at times?

Its pretty much the complete opposite to last season as well when we had formation changes mid game, or before hand that seemed crazy but were perfect. We had half time subs, genius changes that made Roberto seem like the messiah.

This season we have boring predictable tactics and boring predictable subs. Its as if someone has been in his ear.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

February 22, 2015, 11:28:29 PM
Reply #620

Shogun

Administrator
To be fair Lizz, today's subs were spot on.
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

February 22, 2015, 11:29:18 PM
Reply #621

Cuttyblue

This is arguably the most pissed off, angry, frustrated and deflated I've ever been as an Everton fan. I'm running out of patience with this shit. I've been positive throughout this poor run, but I've snapped today. I completely lost it in the second half.

Even the win on Thursday was annoying, Stones getting sent off and despite scoring a hat trick he missed a lot of other chances. That carried on today, he was terrible in front of goal, it's depressing.

I'm going to the Arsenal game as well, my mate got me a ticket in the Arsenal end. That will be fun...

Hang in there.

In 2004, we finished 17th, lost like 5-1 at the end of the season, and I thought "no chance, our good players will run for the hills, it's all over".  Then we went on to qualifiers for the Champions Lge next year...

February 22, 2015, 11:30:03 PM
Reply #622

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair Lizz, today's subs were spot on.

Yeah true, but normally we know who is it, what time, its a DM for a DM when we need a goal, or none at all (Southampton)

Point still stands though, the difference in tactics from this season to last are absolutely mind blowing.

Vamos lá Everton!

February 22, 2015, 11:38:02 PM
Reply #623

KoemansNumberTens

Yeah true, but normally we know who is it, what time, its a DM for a DM when we need a goal, or none at all (Southampton)

Point still stands though, the difference in tactics from this season to last are absolutely mind blowing.

Think the problem is most of the times certain players have to come off. Besic gets booked, Barkleys poor and suddenly we cant get Miralles and Kone on and dont want to make all 3 too early.

February 22, 2015, 11:39:50 PM
Reply #624

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Think the problem is most of the times certain players have to come off. Besic gets booked, Barkleys poor and suddenly we cant get Miralles and Kone on and dont want to make all 3 too early.

One of the main problems is that Barkley or Naismith should be an option of the bench to begin with and we should have two wingers on.

February 22, 2015, 11:41:44 PM
Reply #625

KoemansNumberTens

One of the main problems is that Barkley or Naismith should be an option of the bench to begin with and we should have two wingers on.

It would have to be Naismith. Hes been much more productive this season

February 22, 2015, 11:43:42 PM
Reply #626

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

Its the team selections as well, Naismith and Barkley can not play together. He needs to fucking realise this quickly, because its costing us.

Vamos lá Everton!

February 22, 2015, 11:45:02 PM
Reply #627

bacon sarnie

February 22, 2015, 11:48:10 PM
Reply #628

cantoffee

In that match it has to be Barkley playing a deeper role and driving us on, no reason it shouldn't be. Martinez needs to sort that out playing against these teams that sit back and play on the counter at home.

February 22, 2015, 11:59:42 PM
Reply #629

Rodenplav64

Hopefully the ' Tim Howard needs to be dropped ' thread wasn't locked !