January 17, 2021, 10:22:49 PM

Author Topic: Moshiri buys the Liver Building  (Read 22860 times)

September 17, 2017, 04:38:21 PM
Read 22860 times

Duncs_a_legend

It would be interesting to see what these numbers are so far in 2017. The club have tweeted a load about how many downloads etc. But I think the brand is probably on the decline. Not many people download the game anymore and the Angry Bird merchandise is nothing compared to what it was a couple of years ago.

I'm not complaining though, 2m per annum is a decent income stream, and I have actually heard of this company, unlike Sportspesa.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 17, 2017, 05:16:18 PM
Reply #1

Duncs_a_legend

Mate

I know I get all that, but It would be interesting to see what the figures look like so far for 2017 as the Angry Bird brand looks to be on the decline, it's nowhere near how huge it was a few years ago.
Every shop you went in had angry birds kids clothes or merchandise etc.
They had adverts on the TV every 10 minutes, it's nowhere near that big now, which is why those figures are slightly misleading, you can guarantee the vast majority of the downloads, YouTube views and Facebook followers were in the early days, it wouldn't surprise me if just 5% of them total numbers are from the last 18 months.

It's a good move for the club, but to think we're now going to get some massive influx of young fans and be on the lips of billions of people worldwide is overdoing it. They are coming to us for advertisement, not the other way round.
It kind of wreeks of old men thinking they know what the youth want.

Maybe we should take some inspiration from the Vikings. :)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2017/09/14/vikings-hire-18-year-old-generation-z-consultant/666848001/

September 17, 2017, 09:17:38 PM
Reply #2

Duncs_a_legend

It looks awful

Does it have Rovio on the other sleeve?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:29:28 PM by Duncs_a_legend »

September 21, 2017, 03:10:17 PM
Reply #3

Duncs_a_legend

Other than the 2m a year we get from them then I'm still not convinced this is going to help Evertons brand much, I don't think any shirt sponsorship really does, it helps the sponsor.

We are not sponsoring them, as far as I know they aren't going to advertise anything Everton related.
I've just had a browse on their websites and can't find 1 thing Everton related. They are a much bigger brand than us but are obviously using us to get some advertisement in the PL, I don't think the size of the brand makes much difference to the football club, it's about how much money you get. 1 look at the top teams sponsors will answer that. Hopefully Rovio paid more than anyone else.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:11:55 PM by Duncs_a_legend »

September 21, 2017, 03:59:25 PM
Reply #4

Duncs_a_legend

Sponsorship is about us getting money and them getting advertisement space. don't look at it as being the other way around.
They are not there to increase our "brand", they are there to pay us to increase theirs.

There has been a continual stream of cartoon series about angry birds. McDonalds toys. Normal toys, the lot.
Brand recognition is so high it is almost strange that they are advertising on our sleeves.

This is essentially what I've been saying. As long as they paid us the most then I'm happy, as @Ell Capitan said it makes very little difference to us how big the sponsors brand is. We are just essentially selling them a canvas to advertise on that will be viewed by millions worldwide (the PL).

There is an article somewhere that goes in to shirt sponsorship in more detail (I just can't find it), basically saying that the club's don't really increase their brand rep, and a lot of the time the sponsors don't actually get much back in revenue.
Stadium sponsorship (for brand new stadiums) on the other hand is very lucrative for both clubs and sponsors.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:03:16 PM by Duncs_a_legend »

September 22, 2017, 01:57:50 PM
Reply #5

Duncs_a_legend

I'm glad that they have given us a few quid and I hope it leads to larger deals in the future, but as a brand in my opinion it is almost certainly not going in the right direction.

Search interest is the lowest worldwide in 5 years. Not a perfect metric as it doesn't take into account say social mentions or app searches (which you could imagine being the meat and drink) but I mean come on, it is clearly not the powerhouse it was a few years ago, misguided film franchise or no.

Finally someone gets it.

September 27, 2017, 01:35:25 AM
Reply #6

Duncs_a_legend

OK, i can sort of see that point of view.
I disagree with it as i think the point of selling advertising space is to get money. If it was about anything else then EiTC would be on our shirts and nothing else. (akin to what Barca did)
Considering we have just replaced a beer company with an online betting company as our main sponsor - a child friendly gaming/cartoon company doesn't seem that bad to me.

By the way, Rovio as a game maker may have seen a decline - but the IP of angrybirds far, far surpasses that now. It was only last week they were looking at a billion dollar IPO. The only downtick for them was when they failed to get on board with the IAP model and everybody overtook them. That's all small beans to them now though.
They would have had meetings with most of the clubs in the premier league. Found out what each one was after as a sponsorship package and then decided what we were asking for compared to our exposure/TV appearances suited their budget. Nothing more, nothing less.
If they had a 10m budget for a sponsorship deal they would be on the arms of United. Simple as that.

That is what I said?? I hope they gave us the most money for it.

It was everyone else going on about how big the brand was and how many millions of new fans we were getting. I'm saying they're not that big of a brand anymore, they want to pay us to advertise their brand, not the other way round.