October 26, 2020, 01:48:13 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 199801 times)

October 01, 2019, 11:26:30 PM
Reply #2505

van der Meyde

At what point is a corner or free kick a chance? Would we have to get the first touch on the cross
A chance is literally any kind of shot, so it's kind of useless without context, yes.

October 02, 2019, 01:26:42 AM
Reply #2506

kramer0

How do we end up talking about strikers in every thread?

Our midfield hasn't been able to string more than a few passes together in years.

October 02, 2019, 03:04:08 AM
Reply #2507

Waltzer

Our midfield hasn't been able to string more than a few passes together in years.
That's true, but I don't think its as big an issue moving forward. When everyone is fit we have Gomes, Bernard, Gbamin, Delph, Davies, Walcott, Sig, Schneiderlin, Iwobi and Richarlison. Arguably on their day the best from that midfield can compete with most and hold there own, yes theres an issue of getting a tune out of them consistently, which is where you have to question Silva and potentially the attitude of some of the players? But when you look at our strike force of DCL, Kean and Tosun even on their best of best of days its way off what the others have, at this moment.
Anyway that's my thoughts as to why it inevitably comes back to strikers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

October 02, 2019, 03:25:03 AM
Reply #2508

Toddacelli

I would be tempted to move Richy across to the left for a couple of games and see if it makes a difference, and move Iwobi across to the right. We have to get Richy scoring goals, otherwise it will be a long season!

Me too. Richarlison has always looked more dangerous cutting in from the left and running at defenders. Crossing isn't really his thing so on the right he tends to approach a crossing position, bottle it and come inside for a short pass.

I'd like to try:

Kean/DCL

Richarlison               Iwobi                 Bernard/DCL

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 02, 2019, 05:11:42 AM
Reply #2509

Bluedylan

That's definitely the key problem with our team, and has been for a long time. It's too important an area to just muddle through.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

October 02, 2019, 01:42:54 PM
Reply #2510

Toddacelli

That's definitely the key problem with our team, and has been for a long time. It's too important an area to just muddle through.

Yeah it feels like we need the game-changer signing in midfield that Gomes never was. A young Yaya Toure type player from some unknown league that we can hold onto for the next 5 years would be great.

Dominant, dynamic, progressive, and a real bastard to play against.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 02, 2019, 02:57:15 PM
Reply #2511

Tinga

The worst thing for me is I just don't care now, didn't even watch the City game to be honest. Seems we just can't get it right no matter who we appoint lately.

October 02, 2019, 03:07:20 PM
Reply #2512

Macca77

The worst thing for me is I just don't care now, didn't even watch the City game to be honest. Seems we just can't get it right no matter who we appoint lately.

I'm pretty much the same, losing games doesn't bother me as much as it should

October 02, 2019, 03:52:02 PM
Reply #2513

Gary1878

And the secondary impact of those misses, aside from the scoreline, is we’re not influencing the game by scoring. Goals change games.
You score against a team implementing the low block, they have to come out of their shell and then you expose the space. The top teams do it all the time: score from a decent chance, it changes the complexion of the game and they go to get an easy win.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

This is a great point and the first goal really does change the game and open it up. We have failed to do that enough, and once you don't make a quick breakthrough, the players become frustrated and start deviating from tactics.

We need to stick with Silva, even though this period has been mediocre at best. We cannot expect success if we keep putting undue pressure on managers and chopping and changing. Imagine if your boss at work kept changing every 12-18 months, and the effect that this would have on you in terms of uncertainty. The players are the same, and they don't know if that particular manager will want to include them in his plans, causing stress.

Let Silva and Brands build something here - we shouldn't dismantle something that is so early in it's construction.

October 02, 2019, 04:24:52 PM
Reply #2514

Mayor Farnum

I'm still up for it on game day, but through the week I don't look forward to it like I used to.
Also once the game settles down and starts to drift I find myself just accepting what's happening on the pitch without any real belief things will improve during the 90 minutes.
Ask yourself. "What would Lewis Hamilton say?"

October 02, 2019, 04:51:59 PM
Reply #2515

Juanito

I thought we were all set to sign a left footed right winger as we had Richarlison and Bernard on the left.

I would like to see players who can keep hold of the ball a bit more and I think we will improve after the break with Gomes back and possibly Gbamin, too. Perhaps our board will give him time until then too.

I would like to see;

Pickford
Sidibe  Keane Mina  Digne
    Gomes Gbmain Delph
  Richarlison Kean  Iwobi

Or

Kean  DCL Richarlison

As the front three at home against sides we should be beating who sit back.

October 02, 2019, 04:55:42 PM
Reply #2516

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Id like to see

Pickford
       Gomes Gbamin
 Richarlison  Iwobi  Bernard
               Kean
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

October 02, 2019, 05:06:50 PM
Reply #2517

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Id like to see

Pickford
       Gomes Gbamin
               Kean

I like the look of this but I think DCL will be playing. Hit a bit of form and we will need his height in the box.

Edit also aren't Gomes and Gbamin out still?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:03:07 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 02, 2019, 06:44:33 PM
Reply #2518

sam of the south

Id like to see

Pickford
       Gomes Gbamin
               Kean

Spot on, although something makes me want to try Holgate with Mina in the league; he’s got a better leap than I gave him credit for, he passes better than Keane, and he’s faster than him as well, obviously.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

October 02, 2019, 07:33:37 PM
Reply #2519

dazfrancis

Id like to see

Pickford
       Gomes Gbamin
               Kean

I would be excited to see what this team can do to a team who come and park the bus

Would also settle for

Pickford
            Gbamin
       Gomes     Delph/Davies
 Richarlison           Iwobi 
               Kean