October 24, 2020, 01:21:06 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 199425 times)

November 26, 2019, 04:11:36 AM
Reply #3150

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

It’s a manager who went into a squad of players, realised they were struggling in the attacking third so changed the system to create overloads.

How we long for something similar instead of 4231 every week.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

November 26, 2019, 04:19:47 AM
Reply #3151

bluenuck

would love to see that sort of 4-2-2-2 we played against West Ham.

Although we had Gomes and Bernard for that...

November 26, 2019, 04:21:32 AM
Reply #3152

sam of the south

would love to see that sort of 4-2-2-2 we played against West Ham.

Although we had Gomes and Bernard for that...

That was the nuts.

Wobes and Bernard.

Walcott was a man transformed.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 26, 2019, 04:22:14 AM
Reply #3153

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
That was the nuts.

Wobes and Bernard.

Now imagine Kean instead of DCL.
Playing FM20 24/7.

November 26, 2019, 04:22:30 AM
Reply #3154

kramer0

It’s a manager who went into a squad of players, realised they were struggling in the attacking third so changed the system to create overloads.

How we long for something similar instead of 4231 every week.

We long for anyone who thinks hard enough about the game to realize how important controlling space is, both in and out of possession.

Formations give us a common language to talk about how we'd set the team up but are ultimately overrated, i.e. there isn't a "best" formation we should aspire to play. The shape of the team should be different depending on the phase of the game (opponent in possession, just gave the ball away, building from the back, possessing ball in final third, etc.).

Well-coached teams find ways to create numerical advantages in most or every phase, with or without the ball. Silva mostly has us doing okay without the ball (minus some horrible team shapes when we give the ball away in the final third but that's a feature of most high-pressing teams) but if you look at our build-up patterns, you can pinpoint exactly why we're struggling. Our midfielders are poorly spaced and can't create numerical advantages, which is why every attack we try to build feels so labored and eventually ends in the ball being sprayed out to a fullback or winger.

And that's not even mentioning free kicks and corners, where we have a massive weakness at the back post that's been analyzed in a few places.

November 26, 2019, 04:39:42 AM
Reply #3155

sam of the south

Now imagine Kean instead of DCL.

I like them both, and I hope they both truly thrive here under our next permanent manager.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 26, 2019, 04:48:28 AM
Reply #3156

arteta4spain

We long for anyone who thinks hard enough about the game to realize how important controlling space is, both in and out of possession.

Formations give us a common language to talk about how we'd set the team up but are ultimately overrated, i.e. there isn't a "best" formation we should aspire to play. The shape of the team should be different depending on the phase of the game (opponent in possession, just gave the ball away, building from the back, possessing ball in final third, etc.).

Well-coached teams find ways to create numerical advantages in most or every phase, with or without the ball. Silva mostly has us doing okay without the ball (minus some horrible team shapes when we give the ball away in the final third but that's a feature of most high-pressing teams) but if you look at our build-up patterns, you can pinpoint exactly why we're struggling. Our midfielders are poorly spaced and can't create numerical advantages, which is why every attack we try to build feels so labored and eventually ends in the ball being sprayed out to a fullback or winger.

And that's not even mentioning free kicks and corners, where we have a massive weakness at the back post that's been analyzed in a few places.
Thing is it doesn’t help when your midfield pass like crabs or are powderpuff. I honestly believe the problem lies in the middle. We’ve been decimated with the Gbamin and Gomez injuries AND losing Gana. We’ve no spine it’s just a mess and as it’s been said before were just going round in circles with this. I fear for any manager coming in. It’s going to be a major rebuild in the summer. Can see Richarlison going and we need to shift a few off the wage bill. And we’ll get less prize money too if we’re languishing in the bottom half come May.
Moshiris pockets aren’t as deep as City’s. We need to be careful with our spending especially as we’ll have to pay Silva off too! And if we get another manager in from another club there’s the pay for that. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ just squandering money left right and centre. Wonder how long Moshiri will think fuck this! But it’ll be his own doing for hiring shit managers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

November 26, 2019, 04:54:13 AM
Reply #3157

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Thing is it doesn’t help when your midfield pass like crabs or are powderpuff. I honestly believe the problem lies in the middle. We’ve been decimated with the Gbamin and Gomez injuries AND losing Gana. We’ve no spine it’s just a mess and as it’s been said before were just going round in circles with this. I fear for any manager coming in. It’s going to be a major rebuild in the summer. Can see Richarlison going and we need to shift a few off the wage bill. And we’ll get less prize money too if we’re languishing in the bottom half come May.
Moshiris pockets aren’t as deep as City’s. We need to be careful with our spending especially as we’ll have to pay Silva off too! And if we get another manager in from another club there’s the pay for that. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ just squandering money left right and centre. Wonder how long Moshiri will think fuck this! But it’ll be his own doing for hiring shit managers!!!!

All of the above are why I keep banging the 4-3-3 drum. At least then the midfielders are basically playing between the attacking/defensive thirds. Without the Gana/Gbamin rover, we constantly have enormous gaps in the middle of the park, further exacerbated by the god-fucking-awful Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson. It's no wonder even teams like Norwich can bully us around and put a lot of pressure on our backs. How can we see this and not our manager?  :headbang:
Playing FM20 24/7.

November 26, 2019, 06:11:36 AM
Reply #3158

Shogun

Administrator
The fact Mina has just one goal for us is a sackable offence tbh
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

November 26, 2019, 06:20:30 AM
Reply #3159

bluenuck

That was the nuts.

Wobes and Bernard.

I know West Ham were sort of poor on the day, but we had tons of movement and interchangeable parts in that front 4 with Digne and Sidibe down the flanks. We had a mid field presence, and had no real gaps as we built our play from the back. Probably wouldn't work as well switching Sig for Bernard, and Schniederlin for Gomes.

November 26, 2019, 06:28:08 AM
Reply #3160

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Plenty of talent in the side, plenty of balance in the side.

A better coach and we'll be absolutely fine, a good coach and we'll be good, a great coach and we'll be superb.

Midfield is still an issue as it is every year since Barry left, but we have Gbamin to come back and January in a few weeks.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 26, 2019, 07:36:20 AM
Reply #3161

Ramjam

Problem is that Gbamin is an unknown quantity

WE ARE THE PEOPLE

November 26, 2019, 02:08:17 PM
Reply #3162

Hawkandro

I think his playbook is just two pages with 4-2-3-1 written in massive red writing, then a picture of Glyfi.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 27, 2019, 12:56:47 AM
Reply #3163

Martip

Problem is that Gbamin is an unknown quantity

I worry about the Gbamin signing....looked devilishly slow/immobile from what little I ve seen.
" All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

November 27, 2019, 01:04:08 AM
Reply #3164

GrantyBoy78

I worry about the Gbamin signing....looked devilishly slow/immobile from what little I ve seen.
He’s very quick. He wasn’t fit when he played as he’d been to the AFCON and hadn’t had a pre-season, but you could see he was quick.