November 25, 2017, 06:25:00 AM

Author Topic: Is the squad better than last season?  (Read 8223 times)

July 27, 2017, 09:29:39 PM
Reply #30

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Despite scoring so many, Lukaku's goals didn't contribute as many points as you might think. Without everything pivoting around him, others might score more 'useful' goals instead of just adding to their own stats. Three against Sunderland is hardly impressive, two against Watford that got us nothing. Plus the new players are far more likely to keep going once Spring arrives..

I don't think we need to diminish what Lukaku brought to the team because he left, he was involved with a ridiculous % of the goals we scored last year be it scoring or assisting directly or in the build up.

We likely can't bring in someone who'll get the same amount of goals but I hope we'd find someone who could contribute as much if not more in terms of build up play.

deCoubertin

July 27, 2017, 09:30:07 PM
Reply #31

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
That's correct Mick hence why the thread is titled "Is the squad better than last year"

Most of the responses to you are about:

Right now I'm saying no, until we replace Lukaku's goals
People have shown you that we have.
Even if it's on par, we've got more risks with unproven players
You've seemingly assumed the risks will not work
Barkley gone without a replacement
Demonstrably not true
I'm not massively optimistic about next season, everybody around us is also spending money too & making good signings
So our "risks" are probably going to fail, but everyone elses will be great?
Now to top it off we're on the hunt for James Collins!
Fair enough (If we are after him that is)
Same old Everton?
Yeah, i hated spending near 100m in June and July all them years under Moyes

July 27, 2017, 09:33:24 PM
Reply #32

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think we need to diminish what Lukaku brought to the team because he left, he was involved with a ridiculous % of the goals we scored last year be it scoring or assisting directly or in the build up.

We likely can't bring in someone who'll get the same amount of goals but I hope we'd find someone who could contribute as much if not more in terms of build up play.

I think we only need to replace a dozen of his goals in terms of overall numbers (I'd prefer two 1-0 wins than a 4-0 win and a 1-1 draw. Lukaku didn't score in the latter type of game).

But, where you are right, is his assists. He really did have a good eye and created lot's of important goals for us. You have to think that Klaassen and Rooney have been brought in for that already (and Sigurdsson, hopefully, to create even more from a different type of scenario).

So if we get a dozen goals from someone like Giroud and the front 3 can all get half a dozen with a similar amount of assists. As long as they dont all come in gluts then it's fair to say we *have* replaced Lukaku.
Albeit with a bit of a roll of a dice.

July 27, 2017, 09:36:30 PM
Reply #33

mikey_blue

At the moment I'd say no. It's totally dependant on these three signings that koeman talked about though. Could ne a bit worrying with the season right around the corner.

July 27, 2017, 09:39:04 PM
Reply #34

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
At the moment I'd say no. It's totally dependant on these three signings that koeman talked about though. Could ne a bit worrying with the season right around the corner.

I'm taking it for granted we will get Giroud, Sigurddson and a defender nobody will be happy with.
I think we have a stronger squad & team in that situation (especially if Coleman & Bolasie get back before Christmas).

Without them? I still think we should finish comfortably 7th and anything less would be a bad season.

July 27, 2017, 09:51:53 PM
Reply #35

Evertonian in NC

I'm taking it for granted we will get Giroud, Sigurddson and a defender nobody will be happy with.
I think we have a stronger squad & team in that situation (especially if Coleman & Bolasie get back before Christmas).

Without them? I still think we should finish comfortably 7th and anything less would be a bad season.

We need those two badly to make the Top 6, and perhaps Top 4, really sweat.  We would be closer to the rest of the pack below (and perhaps slip into it) without them.  An injury to Rooney would then be very, very devastating and we would be quite stretched in Europa and pretty much have to play U-23s in the Cups.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 27, 2017, 10:26:12 PM
Reply #36

SANA_DR0

cant believe the negativity.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

July 27, 2017, 10:46:25 PM
Reply #37

everton1952

Answer to the thread question - Yes. Nothing more to be said really.

July 27, 2017, 10:48:12 PM
Reply #38

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
So this lunatic OP probs has the least accurate username of all time.

July 27, 2017, 10:54:33 PM
Reply #39

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
I agree but think Sigurdsson is better than Barkley, Giroud is a terrible replacement for one of the best strikers in the Prem
Giroud a terrible replacement  I'm so happy I'm not a realist...

July 28, 2017, 12:10:44 AM
Reply #40

SANA_DR0

id rather have no one than Giroud, id rather DCL play and improve, rather than buy Giroud. now if we was to get Dolberg... :D :D :D

but overall, this everton team,. is a much much better squad than last years. thats what we needed to improve. the SQUAD.
i didnt want to lose lukaku, but with sandro and klassen, plus rooney, i think we will score more goals than we did last season (also including. bolasie,miralles and LOOKMAN)
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

July 28, 2017, 12:42:20 AM
Reply #41

bacon sarnie

Answer to the thread question - Yes. Nothing more to be said really.

Yep, hoping they have more balls & show up for both halves. I'll have half!

July 28, 2017, 12:44:15 AM
Reply #42

Topper

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me I think Giroud would be a fantastic signing. Yes he didnt score as many goals as Lukaku but he was on the bench a lot of the times and his minutes per goal strike rate is right up there with the top strikers.

His touch and hold up play is excellent and I think it would mean players like Rooney, Klaasen, Sandro and  Sigurdsson would score numerous goals from his link up play.  If our top 4 attacking players scored about 40 goals between them that is a lot better than one man scoring 24 goals with usually our right back as the 2nd top goalscorer.

To say replacing Lukaku with Giroud is a terrible replacement is in my opinion is daft as he would be the missing piece to the jigsaw this season and knows the league very well.  I know if Arsene phoned to say here's 10 million plus Giroud for Barkley I would carry Ross on my back down to the London ASAP.

Every year we get moaners about spending too little, going for shit players unlike others and all that guff.  Yet this season where we are spending big, bringing in big names who are better players than the deadwood we have shifted out in the past 6 months.  We are beating teams to promising players signatures, we are investing in the future and we have a brand new shiny stadium just around the corner and at the minute it has been (in my opinion) such an exciting window and it's not finished yet.

3 - 4 years ago we are all talking about signing Alcaraz, McGeady, Kone, Robles, McCarthy etc and look at the calibre of players we are linked with now, surely we have to look forward with excitement.

I can be a realist and say one day Im gonna die like everyone but fuck it lets get excited because Everton Fc is going to be a major force again within the next few years because if we don't think positive whats the fucking point!

July 28, 2017, 02:00:33 AM
Reply #43

fubarruk

We need another striker that much is clear. But once he's in, we'll be far stronger.

We won't get a direct replacement for Lukaku in terms of goals, but we've added quality across the park. A 'decent' replacement and we're good

July 28, 2017, 02:07:54 AM
Reply #44

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber

I didn't mean to suggest what Rom did should be diminished, only to respond to the cry of 'we've lost 25 goals!!' and demonstrate there's more to it than a headline figure.