November 25, 2017, 06:22:44 AM

Author Topic: Is the squad better than last season?  (Read 8221 times)

July 29, 2017, 06:06:12 AM
Reply #60

bacon sarnie

I think the squad is definitely stronger, but the first 11 isn't.

Yes. Still in need of a few players - goalscorer top of the list like.

deCoubertin

July 29, 2017, 06:25:52 AM
Reply #61

Zoolander

With the exception of being minus lukaku the team is far stronger.
That's the problem though. We've done great work this summer in the transfer market but the loss of a truly great goal scorer casts a cloud over the whole summer. He needs replacing - and sure we won't get a like for like but it needs to be a borderline marquee signing.
If we do that then we've come on leaps and bounds.
Problem is I don't see where we get a replacement without CL.

August 02, 2017, 04:52:08 PM
Reply #62

blue1948

I think the thing is that Ronald sees a different side this season ,we may not like for like replace Lukaku ,he looks as if he is intent on spreading the load and for me that is the way to go .Last season if they (and a lot did) stopped Lukaku we were bereft of ideas , this season it won't be the same .If he does bring a number 9 in he will be more mobile for sure .

August 02, 2017, 04:56:17 PM
Reply #63

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
We were lucky that Lukaku went almost the entire season injury free, it would only have taken a 6-8 week injury lay off and we would have been looking at finishing 12th or below. I can't see us being reliant on any one single player next season, ideal situation.

August 02, 2017, 05:01:55 PM
Reply #64

Lxxx

As things stand we have but it's not streets ahead. We've lost 30 goals out of last season's side so we're hoping Rooney, Sandro and Klaassan can deliver double figures each. Which isn't a foregone conclusion and although it's likely it probably won't be by much.

Granted we've improved the goalkeeper, centre back partnership and central midfield area but still lack width across the whole pitch and depth across the back four.

As things stand we've improved but not enough to challenge the top 6 you wouldn't have thought.

August 02, 2017, 05:47:33 PM
Reply #65

Makis

Yes it is. Joel -> Pickford and Jagielka -> Keane alone see to that. Barkley is already replaced (Rooney and Klaassen can both do that) so only Lukaku -> Sandro is weakening the team and as it's virtually certain that a centre forward will be signed this month the squad in particular is much better (when we talk about the ~20 players who will see lots of action). Nevermind Sigurdsson and the CB that are also likely.

August 02, 2017, 07:26:55 PM
Reply #66

van der Meyde

Defensively, yes.

We've probably gone from having just one credible forward option to having two, but I'm not sure I'd say we were stronger up front just yet.

My biggest reservation though is about who'll create chances for them. I think that was one of our biggest problems last season and, if anything, my initial instinct is it's more likely to get worse.

So, while we've definitely improved the squad, I don't think we've improved it in (all) the right areas just yet. We've still got a very imbalanced squad/potential first 11 as it stands.

August 02, 2017, 10:13:03 PM
Reply #67

blue1948

Defensively, yes.

We've probably gone from having just one credible forward option to having two, but I'm not sure I'd say we were stronger up front just yet.

My biggest reservation though is about who'll create chances for them. I think that was one of our biggest problems last season and, if anything, my initial instinct is it's more likely to get worse.

So, while we've definitely improved the squad, I don't think we've improved it in (all) the right areas just yet. We've still got a very imbalanced squad/potential first 11 as it stands.
Funny really as I would think we have more players who can play that certain pass compared with last year .If Sandro hits the ground running then we take a lot of people by surprise.

August 02, 2017, 10:51:02 PM
Reply #68

van der Meyde

Funny really as I would think we have more players who can play that certain pass compared with last year .If Sandro hits the ground running then we take a lot of people by surprise.
Hopefully you're right. :)

August 02, 2017, 10:53:53 PM
Reply #69

Lincs Toffee

I do think our attacking formation/s are going to be more difficult for other teams to defend against than just Rom, which has to be better for us.
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

August 02, 2017, 11:06:38 PM
Reply #70

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Until we've filled the striker position, I can't say yes at this point. We also look pretty imbalanced. Lots of central options, yet lacking truth width and pace...and I'm worried we're not looking to address that as all of Koeman's comments suggest we aren't (as in his words we may get in a couple more players, and we know that means Sigurdsson and a striker...plus maybe a backup CB as that was also specifically mentioned). Mirallas and DCL should be nowhere near our starting XI, yet they still are. No way are those players ok for us if we're intent on making top 6, they'd be nowhere near the sides ahead of us.

And as much as I like Jagielka and Baines we need another CB and I think we're rapidly getting to a point we need strong competition for Baines.

August 02, 2017, 11:21:38 PM
Reply #71

SANA_DR0

It's going to be Giroud isn't it ?

i hope to fuck not,

unless that means playing DCL in the middle, where he's supposed to play, on not on the right wing....

DCL looks shit on the right, he's pretty good in the middle what ive seen of him for england under 20's.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

August 02, 2017, 11:26:12 PM
Reply #72

Lincs Toffee

i hope to fuck not,

unless that means playing DCL in the middle, where he's supposed to play, on not on the right wing....

DCL looks shit on the right, he's pretty good in the middle what ive seen of him for england under 20's.

You don't think the suave Frenchman will be any good here then?
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

August 02, 2017, 11:29:54 PM
Reply #73

SANA_DR0

You don't think the suave Frenchman will be any good here then?

It's not that, i think he will be adequate for what we need, but i dont want adequate, i want see someone like Dolberg, young, skillful. (like Lukaku when we bought him) someone who is going to be a star, someone i/you can see develop... and hopefully by that time, we will be champs league team, and he wont need to leave.. iamgine have a top class striker for more than 5+ years, having his best times with Everton :D

thats what i want to see.. lol
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

August 02, 2017, 11:33:26 PM
Reply #74

Lincs Toffee

It's not that, i think he will be adequate for what we need, but i dont want adequate, i want see someone like Dolberg, young, skillful. (like Lukaku when we bought him) someone who is going to be a star, someone i/you can see develop... and hopefully by that time, we will be champs league team, and he wont need to leave.. iamgine have a top class striker for more than 5+ years, having his best times with Everton :D

thats what i want to see.. lol

Dolberg is a great shout if he does develop into a great striker, although he is still a risk , however we need someone for the here and now this season and hope that we do get someone like Dolberg to develop too maybe in the next window when we know where the team is.