September 20, 2017, 04:25:47 PM

Author Topic: [News]Have Everton made a mistake not signing a prolific striker?  (Read 1893 times)

September 07, 2017, 07:16:06 AM
Reply #15

oztoffee

Let's face it, the answer to thread title is a no-brainer. However, we don't know who we were chasing during the window and you have to believe that a number of options were persued that didn't come off. There are lots of strikers out there, many of whom are simply not good enough so there was little point in making offers.There was little point in paying huge money for 2nd rate or over-the-hill strikers (ie Carroll, Deeny). The ones we wanted weren't available or didn't want to come here for whatever reason so we'll just have to wait.

Nobody's fault....do people honestly think that those responsible for signing players all decided to have their summer holidays and did fuck-all about the biggest potential problem of the year? If players don't want to come here, we can't force them. We can pay huge money, but many of these top players are on over 5mill a year anyway...a 10% wage rise isn't going to tempt them, even though their agents may want the money.
This is a cross we'll have to bear, at least until the January window. COYB!
What would you do if you came home and found Alex Young in bed with your wife?
Cover him up so he won't get cold!

deCoubertin

September 07, 2017, 08:24:17 AM
Reply #16

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
At least we have one of the paciest strikers in the league in DCL. Just needs to learn how to score.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

September 07, 2017, 03:11:28 PM
Reply #17

Realist

September 07, 2017, 04:12:17 PM
Reply #18

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

I'm of the mind - we haven't bought one, so what the fuck good does it do moaning about it, over and over and over again. Its not like one will magically appear if we moan a million times about it. What ifs eh - what if this and what if that - it doesnt matter, the window is shut. How about, let it sink in... we didn't buy one, but we will PROBABLY buy one in January, so please make it stop and worry about what we HAVE got and who we ARE playing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:13:20 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

September 07, 2017, 04:52:06 PM
Reply #19

WeimaranerBlues

with it being a WC year and the way transfer prices have sky rocketed --even higher now after the Neymar deal , imagine if we had kept Lukaku for one more year----------

September 07, 2017, 05:22:19 PM
Reply #20

Morta75

Agree with most answer here, yes is the quick answer. Face it if we where to bring in a profilic striker with 20 + goals it would cost us same as we sold Lukaku for or even more. The mistake is to let Lukaku go (but again I guess that was not happening).
I would say we are pretty much on the same level as last year. Keep in mind we have got other good players, so maybe we wont have to score as many goals to achive same leauge position this time around...
It is what it is so we just have to keep on fighting... Looking forward to see Gylfi crushing spurs this weekend :-)
COYB

September 07, 2017, 05:25:06 PM
Reply #21

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Everyone on here who couldn't wait to get shot of Lukaku looks like a bit of an idiot now eh?

September 07, 2017, 05:51:15 PM
Reply #22

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think OP is missing the point a bit with that 'prolific'.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 07, 2017, 07:52:38 PM
Reply #23

gizzblue

Everyone on here who couldn't wait to get shot of Lukaku looks like a bit of an idiot now eh?
Not really he was going like it or not .....fuck all anybody could do.

September 07, 2017, 08:07:12 PM
Reply #24

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Koeman, in his second language, has managed to sum up my feelings and get across what i was trying to say in multiple other threads:

Quote from: Koeman
Overall I'm happy[with the window]. We did not get 100% of business..striker was our priority. I thought we'd get option 1 or 2 in. It's difficult when you go down to option 5 or option 6, and there were not the players available that could improve the team.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:08:36 PM by Mick 1995 »

September 07, 2017, 08:20:51 PM
Reply #25

Macca77

Option one was clearly Giroud, no idea who option 2 was

But agree with him 100%, no point in bringing in an average striker is there.

September 07, 2017, 08:21:36 PM
Reply #26

SANA_DR0

At least we have one of the paciest strikers in the league in DCL. Just needs to learn how to score.

he knows how to score, just need to play him as the main striker.

September 07, 2017, 08:28:23 PM
Reply #27

Realist

Shoulda bought Chicharito but ah well it is what it is

September 07, 2017, 08:32:33 PM
Reply #28

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Shoulda bought Chicharito but ah well it is what it is

He's not a target man type striker.

September 07, 2017, 09:09:13 PM
Reply #29

van der Meyde

Koeman, in his second language, has managed to sum up my feelings and get across what i was trying to say in multiple other threads:

It's difficult to argue with this logic. 

I think the question is ill-posed though. It's fairly clear that we wanted to sign a target man who's proven over a number of years. It's not really in doubt that Everton would be better off with Olivier Giroud in the side.

The problem is that he didn't want to come. Those proven players didn't exactly beat our door down the summer before though either.

Given the parameters of our search, we've definitely made the right choice not to sign 6th down the list. I'd much rather question how we've drawn up that list though.

Are we going to be better off long-term by targeting these proven strikers? Or at this stage would we better off signing somebody like Mounie who fits the style profile, but doesn't have that track record? Should we have tried to sign somebody like Mounie and targeted someone like Giroud anyway, or would that have stopped him even getting through the door? Should we have abandoned our pursuit of a target man and broadened our search when it became clear that we couldn't get one in?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, like. I think they're better do ponder than a leading question about prolific strikers though.