0 (0%)
Barkley (Sub)
6 (12.2%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
2 (4.1%)
Jelavic (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Everton v Tottenham  (Read 51594 times)

November 04, 2013, 12:21:23 AM
Reply #735

The Good Citizen

To avoid contact. If someone slides on the floor in front of a player, the player is expected not to stand or stamp on the player on the floor. It wasn't malicious, but just as you're expected to not leave a foot in, he should be avoiding contact if possible.

Theres a ball to win, keeper went in head first, as he should do, very hard to avoid contact in that situation. He didn't extend his leg, you can avoid contact, but you can't avoid the fact you have a left leg. The only way he could have avoided a keeper diving head first would have been to shit out of any sort of challenge for the ball and just let the keeper have it. He got a yellow because a knee isn't as delicate as a face.
I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

November 04, 2013, 12:24:51 AM
Reply #736

Major Clanger

The reason most players who get knocked out is through head collisions, 50/50 collisions do you only book the one left standing?

Accidents happen, not everything that occurs on a football pitch is intentional.

The point of dangerous play is exactly that it isn't intentional. It's just something that in general is dangerous, likely to cause serious injuries and therefore shouldn't be done at all. Like raising your boot to head height or running at full pelt towards a goalkeeper with no chance to challenge for the ball.

I'm 100% certain Romelu didn't want to barge into him and as a striker he had to do what he did, but from a neutral point of view that doesn't make his actions any less dangerous. So much so that he himself got injured as a result. Again, what is dangerous play if something that injures both players isn't?

It was an unfortunate incident, that's all.

And of course Friend was bad but not outrageously bad, certainly not worth-a-disciplinary-hearing-and-a-fine bad. It wasn't even his worst game for us.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:27:40 AM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

November 04, 2013, 12:29:32 AM
Reply #737

Rodenplav64

We were really poor in the first half and I think we expected Spurs to give us room to play . Closing us down put us on the back foot and we didn't assert ourselves until they started to tire in the second half . How Pienaar stayed on I will never know , he was piss poor all game . Mirallas was ineffective and we missed Barkleys size and strength in the middle . He may be tired according to Roberto but Osman , Pienaar , Mirallas and McCarthy is just too lightweight . Lukaku was completely isolated and for a time I could have sworn Moyes was back in charge minus Jags' hoofs .

November 04, 2013, 12:32:11 AM
Reply #738

Major Clanger

maybe this will temper those who believe we will be challenging for Europe, think this team is far to inconsistent, and despite what some believe, lightweight, in depth and quality.
we need more striking options, more defensive and wide players. we have improved, just not enough

Europe is 4th-7th, depending on cup results and that is fully achievable. And as far as I'm concerned, if we get 7th but don't make it into Europa League, it would be a disgrace for anyone to slag Martinez off just because the top 4 teams happened to fuck up in the cups. (I know you wouldn't do anything like that, but I'm sure there would be some who did.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:40:41 AM by Major Clanger »

November 04, 2013, 12:37:08 AM
Reply #739

The Good Citizen

maybe this will temper those who believe we will be challenging for Europe, think this team is far to inconsistent, and despite what some believe, lightweight, in depth and quality.
we need more striking options, more defensive and wide players. we have improved, just not enough

We've been in that situation and challenged for Europe for the last 5 years. 7th at least this year = challenging for Europe.

November 04, 2013, 12:43:49 AM
Reply #740

sirblue57

Europe is 4th-7th, depending on cup results and that is fully achievable. And as far as I'm concerned, if we get 7th, it would be a disgrace for anyone to slag Martinez off just because the top 4 teams happened to fuck up in the cups. (I know you wouldn't do anything like that, but I'm sure there would be some who did.)

i think RM will need another season before we can judge how good he is, although he was not my first choice for the post. but again, its not just his actions we have to judge, is it?

for me, we MAY get Europe, but it then depends on what backing RM gets, and how good he is with the resources given to him, its wait and see time.
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

November 04, 2013, 12:46:22 AM
Reply #741

sirblue57

We've been in that situation and challenged for Europe for the last 5 years. 7th at least this year = challenging for Europe.

yes, but failing to much , lets se what happens between now and the end of the season.

November 04, 2013, 12:50:22 AM
Reply #742

Ridge

Lukaku neither stood or stamped on him though, or left his foot in. He was looking to get to the ball before the keeper, nothing else. Where talking about split seconds thinking time.

You understand I was referencing other instances, in which you are expected to adjust and deviate from your current path to save an injury, as opposed to suggesting Lukaku had stamped on Lloris with his knee?

Split seconds are how most fouls occur, when you slide in late, its not like that player had a month to decide.

Romulu was facing the ball and keeper and while Lloris may have slid further than expected, it was still reasonable to expect Romulu to try to avoid contact.

November 04, 2013, 12:51:39 AM
Reply #743

The Good Citizen

yes, but failing to much , lets se what happens between now and the end of the season.
To be pedantic, the argument was whether would challenge for Europe, which we always do. We've been very unlucky with finishing 6th and not getting a spot. That is rare. *hope stats back that comment up.*

November 04, 2013, 12:52:24 AM
Reply #744

Major Clanger

i think RM will need another season before we can judge how good he is, although he was not my first choice for the post. but again, its not just his actions we have to judge, is it?

for me, we MAY get Europe, but it then depends on what backing RM gets, and how good he is with the resources given to him, its wait and see time.

It's like a series of exams. First he had to get the players to play for him, then get the fans onside and so on. So far he's passed all his exams with flying colours.

There'll be more tough tests to come but he's done brilliantly so far and he needs to be applauded for that.

November 04, 2013, 12:54:24 AM
Reply #745

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
If Lukaku hadnt chased the ball down all the way, i think you would be moaning about that even more.
He chased the ball down and with his RUNNING leg, LLoris's head made contact. How the fuck can that be avoided, seriously??
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

November 04, 2013, 01:01:10 AM
Reply #746

sirblue57

It's like a series of exams. First he had to get the players to play for him, then get the fans onside and so on. So far he's passed all his exams with flying colours.

There'll be more tough tests to come but he's done brilliantly so far and he needs to be applauded for that.

i am not criticising RM, just saying there may be to much anticipation. he has done well, but its a long season, and plenty of challenges , and as i said, its NEXT season before we should judge him.

November 04, 2013, 01:04:38 AM
Reply #747

Major Clanger

If Lukaku hadnt chased the ball down all the way, i think you would be moaning about that even more.

I wouldn't. It was an overhit pass, simple as that.

November 04, 2013, 01:19:46 AM
Reply #748

Alanvideo

Apologies if mentioned before but why were the Spurs fans singing  ' if you know your history ' ? 
Also anyone see that kid on County Road in full redshite kit ,handing out flyers ?
Also why don't Greggs open on a sunday ?
We are special ,we are Everton.

November 04, 2013, 01:24:26 AM
Reply #749

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Clanger certainly has the new award all sewn up. For someone who knows so much about angles he fails to see how Lukaku wasn't wven running toward Lloris but away from him and he was slowing down when he realized he wouldn't get to the ball as well as not making any intention to get the ball by leaving a foot in or anything.

It was an accident. It happens. It was never a booking, not even a foul. The world agrees, Evertonians and non-Evertonians alike. MC on the other hand...
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...