November 21, 2017, 07:03:55 AM

Author Topic: The sad thing about the premier league is...  (Read 1169 times)

July 13, 2017, 03:50:02 PM
Reply #15

Toddacelli

Aye, return of the Merseyside Millionaires?

Only if we change the name of the river to 'The Bersey'

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 19, 2017, 05:29:14 AM
Reply #16

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
It's remarkable that, despite persistent objections from Liverpool and United, the TV money is still shared equitably.
I believe changing that requires a unanimous vote of all 20 clubs.

Let them moan

August 07, 2017, 09:00:38 AM
Reply #17

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
I was just beginning my love affair with Everton then and, yes, we were the Chelsea or Man City of the day through John Moores.  Money was no object and we set the 'highest price paid for' record a few times.
What I would say though, is that as the leagues then were mostly British or Irish players the money gave clubs like Everton a big advantage but not the dominance you see today where money buys the best in the world. In addition football was still moving on from the maximum wage era and there was much more loyalty to home town clubs as people just didn't move around the country, let alone the world, as they do now.
It meant there was always 'a Leicester' in the shadows whereas now I don't expect it to happen again in my lifetime unless the TV market stalls. Viewing figures are noticeably down in the UK but balanced out by markets abroad but if the mega bucks in China and the growing popularity in the US continues, plus other emerging  countries then the PL could lose its place. Bad in some ways but could open up the way for clubs excluded now.
Viewing figures have been impacted by relegation for Villa and Newcastle, plus a load of people sacking off paying Rupert and using Kodi instead. It won't hit the money because it's no longer about viewing figures, it's now about Sky and BT striving to control the entire telecom market. With five teams in CL and us and the arse both in Europa, BT sport will see a rise in total viewership of Euro games over last season. That won't change their bidding strategy for the next set of rights, it's all about complete packages to get the customers from the main rivals.

August 07, 2017, 06:28:08 PM
Reply #18

gizzblue

Who did Chelsea spend big on to win it last year ???....just curious...as its allegedly bought.

August 08, 2017, 03:35:44 AM
Reply #19

bacon sarnie

Only if we change the name of the river to 'The Bersey'

Still the same if you fall in it mate.

August 08, 2017, 08:15:44 AM
Reply #20

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Who did Chelsea spend big on to win it last year ???....just curious...as its allegedly bought.
Well they did buy Luis and Kante for 30m each but in Chelsea terms that's hardly buying the league. Leicester bought it at a car boot sale with Mahrez, Kante and Vardy.

Technically every winner buys the league, since there have been no winners whose team was made up of volunteers. Well not in any of our lifetimes anyway, I can't be arsed checking what happened way back when. It's just a bit The Price Is Right I guess!

August 23, 2017, 07:22:12 AM
Reply #21

bacon sarnie

Kopites....

"It's a shame that Phil is now ill
If you listen to the rumour mill
The Spanish will have one last go
To purchase the boy in this window
Really, it's time to set him free
It's a fair deal, a good fee
He needs to play in the Camp Nou
Something big, something new