September 19, 2017, 08:34:34 PM

Author Topic: Neymar  (Read 808 times)

August 25, 2017, 05:26:24 AM
Reply #15

Shogun

Administrator
Since when did the Ballon D'or actually mean something?

Fucking hell, even Michael Owen won it once.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

August 25, 2017, 05:49:31 AM
Reply #16

Ridge

I think it's a matter of pride and insecurity generally. The first player to do any new skill is taking the piss or offending, until it becomes more accepted. Nutmegging a player is no longer that much of a code thing, but that's quite a primal one that feels embarrassing or offensive.

Neymar isn't doing things outside of the rules or even against the nature of football. He is the beautiful game in action and he frustrates, he taunts, he showboats, but he's the most flamboyant player. He puts the fear into people by threatening to embarrass them, so they don't want to engage or do so cautiously.

If you watch some of the clips from his time in Brazil, he is well used to get absolutely twatted all over the place.

August 25, 2017, 08:58:24 AM
Reply #17

Jamokachi

Might mean more in different countries, cultures maybe?

August 25, 2017, 04:49:27 PM
Reply #18

BlueNoseMike

The Ballon D'or and Fifa World player of the year awards merged didn't they? It is the ultimate individual award in football. Also, I think more and more the top players are becoming stars and the individual aspect of the game has outshone the team. I don't agree with it but it's the way it's gone

It's not Argentina v Brazil, it's Messi v Neymar.

The city derby is all about pep and mourinho (I know managers but same thing applies)

I think a lot more of the 'star' players are aiming for individual awards over team trophies (although the 2 link a lot obviously). Ronaldo's priority isn't the champions league success, that's just a means to an end goal of the Ballon D'or. Since he's been at Madrid he's won more Ballon D'or's than league titles. Would he swap them? Fucking no chance. I don't think footballers had this mentality 10 or 15 years ago. And I'm not saying all of them do now, just some of the top stars (maybe not Messi?)

This sums it up, Tammy Abraham was asked last week what his ambitions are for his career. He didn't mention trophies, being involved in successful teams, he simply said the Ballon D'or

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4804878/Chelsea-youngster-Tammy-Abraham-wants-Ballon-d-Or.html

August 25, 2017, 04:53:33 PM
Reply #19

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
The Ballon D'or and Fifa World player of the year awards merged didn't they? It is the ultimate individual award in football. Also, I think more and more the top players are becoming stars and the individual aspect of the game has outshone the team. I don't agree with it but it's the way it's gone

It's not Argentina v Brazil, it's Messi v Neymar.

The city derby is all about pep and mourinho (I know managers but same thing applies)

I think a lot more of the 'star' players are aiming for individual awards over team trophies (although the 2 link a lot obviously). Ronaldo's priority isn't the champions league success, that's just a means to an end goal of the Ballon D'or. Since he's been at Madrid he's won more Ballon D'or's than league titles. Would he swap them? Fucking no chance. I don't think footballers had this mentality 10 or 15 years ago. And I'm not saying all of them do now, just some of the top stars (maybe not Messi?)

This sums it up, Tammy Abraham was asked last week what his ambitions are for his career. He didn't mention trophies, being involved in successful teams, he simply said the Ballon D'or

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4804878/Chelsea-youngster-Tammy-Abraham-wants-Ballon-d-Or.html
Lets face it, any old player can win trophies. Djimi Traore has won the champions league ffs. He wouldn't get anywhere near the Ballon d'or tho

I can see why it would mean a lot to a player

August 25, 2017, 06:39:51 PM
Reply #20

BlueNoseMike

Lets face it, any old player can win trophies. Djimi Traore has won the champions league ffs. He wouldn't get anywhere near the Ballon d'or tho

I can see why it would mean a lot to a player

Oh yeah undoubtedly. I'd like to think if I was a professional player in Abraham's shoes and was asked what my goal was it would be 'to be an integral part of successful teams that win trophies' rather than win the Ballon D'or. team before individual honours and all that

August 25, 2017, 07:14:23 PM
Reply #21

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Oh yeah undoubtedly. I'd like to think if I was a professional player in Abraham's shoes and was asked what my goal was it would be 'to be an integral part of successful teams that win trophies' rather than win the Ballon D'or. team before individual honours and all that

The two tend to go hand in hand though.

Think owen won it in 2001, for example.

August 25, 2017, 07:53:59 PM
Reply #22

stirlingblue

August 25, 2017, 08:57:53 PM
Reply #23

BlueNoseMike

The two tend to go hand in hand though.

Think owen won it in 2001, for example.

Yeah I know and I get that, I said it earlier. Cannavaro won it in 06 following his world cup exploits. I doubt he was thinking prior to that tournament 'I tell you what if I win this I'll be in with a chance of winning player of the year'.

It wouldn't have been too far from Ronaldo's mind, remember his speech after they won the euro's last year in the changing rooms. It was all about him.

Neymar has left Barca to join PSG, not to necessary win Champions league and trophies, as you'd probably think he was at a better club to do so. no, he's done it to improve his chances of winning an individual award. It's becoming more and more the mentality of some of the top stars in football.

August 26, 2017, 12:54:16 AM
Reply #24

Ridge

As a member of the pedant clique, that's an invisible door with a balloon arch :wag:

August 26, 2017, 11:48:36 AM
Reply #25

Onexosol

Neymar will take the torch when Messi and Ronaldo retire, but he won't be beating them any time soon. He has the advantage of youth on his side though.

August 26, 2017, 10:28:38 PM
Reply #26

Ridge

3 games in, 3 goals, 3 assists.

In first home game against Toulouse, he had 13 successful dribbles, the most any player has managed in last decade is 14.

https://twitter.com/Neymarvellous/status/901253745341681664