September 19, 2017, 08:39:28 PM

Author Topic: Weird, Strange and/or Interesting football facts  (Read 510 times)

September 05, 2017, 03:21:12 AM
Reply #15

velimski

I've played on some pitches where the wind could come into effect

It would require wind yes, but I'd be amazed if it's ever happened.

September 05, 2017, 03:22:20 AM
Reply #16

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
It would require wind yes, but I'd be amazed if it's ever happened.
Aye me too

September 05, 2017, 03:28:03 AM
Reply #17

velimski

Plus the rule also mentions free kicks, and that has definitely happened.

September 05, 2017, 03:35:45 AM
Reply #18

Major Clanger

Wikipedia to the rescue:

In a 1983–84 English Third Division match, Millwall were incorrectly credited with a goal against Wimbledon rather than a corner, when Wally Downes' free-kick backpass eluded an off-guard Dave Beasant.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 16, 2017, 05:22:51 PM
Reply #19

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Jermain Defoe has scored against 36 different Premier League clubs.

September 16, 2017, 10:10:53 PM
Reply #20

SANA_DR0

Jari Litmanen is the only footballer to have played international football in 4 separate decades.

Giuseppi Bergomi played in four different World Cups but never in a single World Cup qualifier

Eight of France’s top-10 most capped players were on the field at the same time during the Euro 2000 final.

Derby hold the record for the biggest FA Cup Final defeat (6-0 by Bury), and the biggest home defeat by a non-league team (6-1 by Boston).

Eidur Gudjohnson is the only player to come on in an international game as a substitute for his own father, Arnór, in a friendly vs Estonia.

The longest football club name in the world is:

Nooit opgeven altijd doorgan, Aangenaam door vermaak en nuttig door ontspanning, Combinatie Breda.
More commonly known as Dutch Eerste Divisie side NAC Breda.
The full name of NAC Breda translates to: Never give up always keep going pleasant through entertainment and useful through relaxation combination Breda.

Barcelona won just 1 La Liga title between 1960 and 1985.

The highest ever attendance at Old Trafford is 76,962. For an FA Cup semi-final. Between Wolves and Grimsby Town in March 1939.

Denmark won the 1992 European Championship after failing to qualify. Yugoslavia was disqualified and the Danish team was announced that they were allowed to participate only 10 days before the start of the tournament.

Real Madrid played against their B team in the 1980 Copa Del Rey final. Madrid’s first team won 6-1. The match was staged at The Bernabeu.

The first British player to win the Champions League (after it was rebranded in 1992) was Paul Lambert in 1997 with Borussia Dortmund.

Celtic legend Henrik Larsson’s first and last goals at Celtic Park were both AGAINST Celtic (first was an own goal, his last was for Barcelona against Celtic).

John Terry (39) has scored more league goals than Andres Iniesta (34)