May 23, 2018, 06:12:55 PM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
eye, i should have read all the comments on the page before replying..  but my point still stands, lots of families on merseyside have supported the other team when it comes to finals..

i wont be cheering,  ill just watch it like i was watching an episode of game of thrones.

None of the families that are mixed supporters, that I know, have ever wanted the other team to win. I'm 64 and lived in Liverpool for 50 of those years.

Don't talk about stuff you don't know.
The Everton Forum / Re: Leighton Baines
« Last post by Jimmywhack on 48 seconds ago »
Would be nice to have someone come in to split time with Baines next year, get his testimonial, then take over (Bainesy can play another year as a reserve if he wants).  Is Galloway gonna be ready to be a depth option this season, so we don't have to rely on dreck again?
Galloway is shit mate
Sorry to be the one to shatter your dreams
Happy to give Silva a go, but he is very young, and doesn't have a track record of building teams. The last 4 years, he has had 4 different clubs. 2 of these clubs he quit, 2 of them he was sacked, which is a worry.

However, he had a very impressive record at Olympiakos, 79% win ratio, and has a win record of 53% overall in 265 games. You could argue that most of these wins were in easier leagues, but nevertheless, it shows that his tactics try to win games, not avoid losing.

So, not bad at all when you consider Moyes, Koeman & Martinez both had a win ratio of between 41%-42% here. That seems to be the benchmark to beat. If we have ambitions of top 6, we need to get this nearer to 50%.
I know most people consider the Greek league to be a bit of a tinpot league and they are probably right, but plenty of top managers have been considered to have failed there. Jardim and Cuper being the biggest names.
Still doesn't mean that Silva will be guaranteed success with us but he did a very good job at Olympiakos. I think they brought in something like 15 new players when he signed so he pretty much rebuilt the team. And he had them playing proper entertaining football. If you ask Olympiakos fans who their favourite manager was he'll be a close 2nd after Valverde. He did leave them under a bit of a cloud, amid rumours that he couldn't handle the pressure though.
« Last post by Evertonian in NC on 7 minutes ago »
Three of our back four will struggle with that system

Not to be a broken record, but I think Mason Holgate could do quite well.  Assuming his confidence hasn't been shattered by how The Gravy Boat handled the racism incident and his nigh-banishment from the team afterwards.
« Last post by Evertonian in NC on 8 minutes ago »
Would be nice to have someone come in to split time with Baines next year, get his testimonial, then take over (Bainesy can play another year as a reserve if he wants).  Is Galloway gonna be ready to be a depth option this season, so we don't have to rely on dreck again?
The Everton Forum / Re: Lozano
« Last post by Brownie20 on 8 minutes ago »
You married Mr Universe??

No, Mr Muscle
« Last post by themilkycoffees on 13 minutes ago »
There shouldn’t be too much emphasis on unknowns plucked from nowhere.

That’s pretty unlikely in this day and age.

The main priority is finding players who fit the system.

That is the filtered by other preferences such as age/ budget etc.

But those two things aren't mutually exclusive? A lot of Brands success came from plucking unknowns, who were suited to the system they wanted to play at PSV. Doesn't mean we can't sign proven players too.
« Last post by Evertonian in NC on 19 minutes ago »
It's an absolute yes for me, even at ~£40-45M. Plays either wing, pace to spare, good bag of tricks in the locker. Cuts inside from either wing, can use either foot, not scared to head the ball either. He does more than just score, too--he was both PSV's leading scorer and leading assist man. Won the CONCACAF Champions League while at Pachuca, won the Eredivisie this season at PSV.

He's also, from all appearances, very humble and a hard worker. Very much an Everton-style attitude, would seem to be a good fit from that perspective.

Also, anyone with the nickname "Chucky" (or, equivalently, "muñeco diabólico" or "devil doll") gets extra points in my book. He'll be tormenting the USA for the next decade or more, and I don't really care because he's so much fun to watch.

You had me at "tormenting the USA"
The Everton Forum / Re: Yankee Roodle Dandy?
« Last post by Evertonian in NC on 21 minutes ago »
Brands wants to lower the wage bill

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/999195646828662784?s=19

Hint, hint Wayne.  DC better not be a carefully constructed bluff.
« Last post by GLewis on 22 minutes ago »
Agreed. Hopefully that's what Brands will bring to the club. Lozano would be nice but I'd be surprised.

There shouldn’t be too much emphasis on unknowns plucked from nowhere.

That’s pretty unlikely in this day and age.

The main priority is finding players who fit the system.

That is the filtered by other preferences such as age/ budget etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10