December 17, 2017, 02:17:35 PM

Author Topic: "I couldn't care less" if Blues concede first  (Read 4670 times)

October 30, 2015, 11:22:21 PM
Reply #30

Lxxx

I'm sure it's just been lost in translation, with English not being his first language n all. Like the not bothering to practise corners, penalties being a free for all and pointless analysing goals conceded as they're inevitable. I'm sure they're all misunderstandings.

deCoubertin

October 31, 2015, 01:05:54 AM
Reply #31

efctaxi

There are reasons we go behind in games, and those reasons should be air for concern.

1. Are we picking a suitable starting eleven, and are we only rescuing the situation by substituting players that should have been on from the start?
2. Are the team in the right state of mind at the start of each game?
3. Are our tactics at 0-0 allowing the opposition to score?

I can go on, but it is for Martinez to analyse these things, and not simply have an 'as long as we score more' attitude?

I was more concerned that he once again sought to 'big up' Sunderland, just like he does every week.

October 31, 2015, 01:30:55 AM
Reply #32

ally2

a couple of things

firstly, the Echo are stirring the shit here and trying to gain clicks by using a comment out of context

second, even though it's The Echo, it's still good practise to link to things you're quoting on internet forums, it's common courtesy to the people who wrote the article in the first place, and also avoid confusion as above

Ha!  Please tell newsbot this.

October 31, 2015, 02:16:21 AM
Reply #33

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I have to return some videotapes.

October 31, 2015, 02:21:22 AM
Reply #34

Simon Paul

Administrator
Ha!  Please tell newsbot this.

@NewsBot is his own person and does what @NewsBot wants to do

October 31, 2015, 02:54:05 AM
Reply #35

Silas

NSNO Subscriber

October 31, 2015, 03:06:47 AM
Reply #36

bluestevie

There are reasons we go behind in games, and those reasons should be air for concern.

1. Are we picking a suitable starting eleven, and are we only rescuing the situation by substituting players that should have been on from the start?
2. Are the team in the right state of mind at the start of each game?
3. Are our tactics at 0-0 allowing the opposition to score?

I can go on, but it is for Martinez to analyse these things, and not simply have an 'as long as we score more' attitude?

I was more concerned that he once again sought to 'big up' Sunderland, just like he does every week.

He wasn't bigging up anyone, he was rightly saying that they could be dangerous considering they are on a high from thumping the Geordies last week and didn't have a midweek game whereas we lost at Arsenal and went the distance on Tuesday night
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

October 31, 2015, 03:30:24 AM
Reply #37

BlueBeagle

a couple of things

firstly, the Echo are stirring the shit here and trying to gain clicks by using a comment out of context

second, even though it's The Echo, it's still good practise to link to things you're quoting on internet forums, it's common courtesy to the people who wrote the article in the first place, and also avoid confusion as above

Fair enough although I didn't see the need in posting the link when I copy and pasted the whole article and also had "From the Echo" as the first line of my post.

October 31, 2015, 03:39:54 AM
Reply #38

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Far from a Martinez fan but he's said fuck all wrong there.

October 31, 2015, 05:22:48 AM
Reply #39

Alfie Noakes

From The Echo...
Roberto Martinez insists he "couldn't care less" if Everton concede the first goal of any game - just as long as they fight back to win.

The Blues have gone behind in nine of their 13 games this season but Martinez is not worried about their habit of shipping the opening goal.

Martinez believes his Everton side have the strength of character to bounce back from conceding first and says the only time they've not shown it was against Manchester United earlier this month.

And though the Blues boss says he would prefer not to have to continually chase games, seeing the opposition score the first goal doesn't worry him.

“It is something you don't want to do, clearly," Martinez said.

“I just felt against Manchester United, for one reason or another, we couldn't react as well as we wanted – even though in the second-half we created chances to get that reaction in the scoreline.

“Goals, as you know, change games but normally we don't seem to be deflated or effected too much when we have a disappointment on the pitch.

“That is a real positive.

"Obviously you want to win the football match and if we do that then I couldn't care less that we conceded the first goal."

Any thoughts? Seems an absolutely ludicrous statement and philosophy to me, how can you not care if you concede the first goal in games, even if you do go on and win them eventually?

Why didn't you simply call this thread something like-
"Echo reporter Phil Kirkbride would love to work for the Sun and he'd be good there too because he has an eye for sensationalism."?

Would have saved you alot of energy mate  :)

October 31, 2015, 10:06:25 AM
Reply #40

efctaxi

He wasn't bigging up anyone, he was rightly saying that they could be dangerous considering they are on a high from thumping the Geordies last week and didn't have a midweek game whereas we lost at Arsenal and went the distance on Tuesday night

Every game is the same Stevie.

You're welcome to read into it what you will, but I have personally never liked it.  :hmph:

Regardless of what they did last week, we are Everton, and the time has come to start acting like a confident club. All he has to do is say "We're looking forward to the game" and shake their hand afterwards. Detailing every positive comes across as weak minded and getting excuses in early just incase.

He should take a leaf out of Connor McGregor's book and tell fat Sam he's going to get it.  :whistle:

October 31, 2015, 11:45:22 AM
Reply #41

howard1334

I'm sure it's just been lost in translation, with English not being his first language n all. Like the not bothering to practise corners, penalties being a free for all and pointless analysing goals conceded as they're inevitable. I'm sure they're all misunderstandings.

Not saying you are wrong, but where is the evidence we don't practice free kicks and corners? I know people are constantly saying we don't, but I just find it really hard to believe. Has Martinez  been quoted as saying so, or is it all just hearsay? If the later, I am not all that inclined to believe it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:49:09 PM by howard1334 »

October 31, 2015, 03:38:39 PM
Reply #42

Lxxx

Not saying you are wrong, but where is the evidence we don't practice free kicks and corners? I know people are constantly saying we don't, but I just find it really hard to believe. Has Martinez  been quoted as saying so, or is it all just hearsay? If the later, I am not all that inclined to believe it.

It's Saturday morning and I'm rough so I can't be arsed digging out the link but if you're that bothered do a bit of digging, the interview is out there on the net somewhere about his obsession with stats and the low % of goals scored from corners. Also try Ossie's book.

October 31, 2015, 05:08:47 PM
Reply #43

KoemansNumberTens

Far from a Martinez fan but he's said fuck all wrong there.

The problem is though that we are often going behind and almost always not winning from that position. Hence what he's said is utterly irrelevant and he has to care a lot about it

October 31, 2015, 06:06:16 PM
Reply #44

Lxxx

It's good the Echo are now starting to play mischief as up till now all they've done is blow smoke up his arse.