October 17, 2017, 11:59:43 PM

Author Topic: Special Goal  (Read 1068 times)

August 13, 2017, 04:32:42 AM
Read 1068 times

Cuttyblue

Yeah, that was enjoyable.

First match for me at Goodison was 2003, Everton were pretty pedestrian, Birmingham was the opposition and had a few looks at goal - maybe they deserved a draw.  The difference from a 0-0 was the eventual goal scorer, the spark, Wayne Rooney.  Just like today.

I bought the kit top at the store that day, the '03 "Kejian" shirt.  Wore that today while my son and I celebrated the goal.

Rooney will not replace Lukaku's goals, but for me, I'm enjoying the romance of it all. Hope you feel the same.

Special start to the season.     

deCoubertin

August 13, 2017, 04:36:23 AM
Reply #1

Simon Paul

Administrator
Yeah, that was enjoyable.

First match for me at Goodison was 2003, Everton were pretty pedestrian, Birmingham was the opposition and had a few looks at goal - maybe they deserved a draw.  The difference from a 0-0 was the eventual goal scorer, the spark, Wayne Rooney.  Just like today.

I bought the kit top at the store that day, the '03 "Kejian" shirt.  Wore that today while my son and I celebrated the goal.

Rooney will not replace Lukaku's goals, but for me, I'm enjoying the romance of it all. Hope you feel the same.

Special start to the season.     

his header was very, very clever and the type of header he is known for producing.  a really well taken goal to finish off a lovely move, especially Sandro selling his defender completely and buying DCL the space for the cross.

hopefully it settles Wayne as well as he won't be looking for the first goal and worrying about it not coming

August 13, 2017, 04:40:17 AM
Reply #2

Cuttyblue

his header was very, very clever and the type of header he is known for producing.  a really well taken goal to finish off a lovely move, especially Sandro selling his defender completely and buying DCL the space for the cross.

hopefully it settles Wayne as well as he won't be looking for the first goal and worrying about it not coming

Like how he starting surging to the penalty spot before Sandro turned and spread the ball out to DCL.  He knows the game, he knew where to be.

*edit*  But won't disagree SP, this was a very average team performance, no indication that we can make it beyond 7th yet.

But the Rooney winner is the "heart, not head" stuff that keeps us so enthralled to EFC.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:44:17 AM by Cuttyblue »

August 13, 2017, 04:45:52 AM
Reply #3

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Really is nothing better than a top class headed goal and that was one of the best you'll see. Only a player of Rooney calibure would be capable of that.

Reminded me of Messi in the champions league final.

August 13, 2017, 05:10:53 AM
Reply #4

Ari

his header was very, very clever and the type of header he is known for producing. 

You make it sounds like he do this all the time and this was only just very very clever. ..???

I think it was one of the best headers there is, it was brilliant.  Maybe it's because I don't watch too many Manchester United games....

August 13, 2017, 05:15:36 AM
Reply #5

Cuttyblue

You make it sounds like he do this all the time and this was only just very very clever. ..???

I think it was one of the best headers there is, it was brilliant.  Maybe it's because I don't watch too many Manchester United games....

Great cross from DCL, immediately you can tell Stoke defenders are not going to be there.  In a split second, you see there is a runner in blue that is tracking the ball perfectly... then I realized it was Rooney; all he had to do was cushion and direct it.  Just a few seconds can really make your weekend!  :woohoo:

August 13, 2017, 05:17:08 AM
Reply #6

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

He went through a mad spell at united a few years back where he scored a header every week.

August 13, 2017, 05:48:03 AM
Reply #7

Tinga

Went mental myself, such a perfect premier league debut for him.

August 13, 2017, 06:02:18 AM
Reply #8

Ari

He went through a mad spell at united a few years back where he scored a header every week.

You tell me, as I said I didn't watch much of their games.

August 13, 2017, 06:05:31 AM
Reply #9

Ari

I can't really believe there are people in here who are trying to undermine Rooney's goal and say it is very ordinary and common for him.  And because of that he is not to be given too much credit for his goal.

edit (you are too clever for my mind)

August 13, 2017, 06:10:32 AM
Reply #10

sam of the south

My God.

Watching that Rooney interview with Lineker, I never realised just how dreamy Wayne's eyes were 😃

He looks lean, angelic, almost reborn to the lad of 2002-2004.

I love him  :hug:
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 13, 2017, 06:26:34 AM
Reply #11

Dr. Sponge

Brilliant today that. He will run games for us this season, if Koeman plays a system to suit Rooney as our 10.

August 13, 2017, 06:37:38 AM
Reply #12

Major Clanger

Has it been mentioned that he won the ball back to start the whole move?
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

August 13, 2017, 06:40:19 AM
Reply #13

Major Clanger

There's no contradiction here, Cahill used to produce brilliant headers all the time for example. All it means is that he's very good at them.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

August 13, 2017, 07:03:26 AM
Reply #14

Cuttyblue

Has it been mentioned that he won the ball back to start the whole move?

And took another simple, but nice pass to keep advancing forward after that.

Aside from the goal, he was a leader today.   Don't think the other players aren't watching.