June 24, 2018, 03:06:20 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 16968 times)

March 04, 2018, 10:30:06 PM
Reply #30

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Is Funes Mori fit now? Or close to it? Heís got to be considered with Williams out. At least he has some recovery pace.

March 04, 2018, 10:34:07 PM
Reply #31

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Iíll be extremely disappointed if I see Ashley Williams, Schneiderlin or Martina at all next year.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 04, 2018, 10:41:07 PM
Reply #32

eyesalwaysblue

Iíll be extremely disappointed if I see Ashley Williams, Schneiderlin or Martina at all next year.
is that all ?
I still despise Clive Thomas..

March 04, 2018, 10:45:36 PM
Reply #33

Thornton_19

I'll be extremely disappointed if I see Ashley Williams, Schneiderlin or Martina at all next year.
I have no particular problem with him, but I'd honestly be gutted if Jagielka has to start at all next season.

March 04, 2018, 10:58:26 PM
Reply #34

Evertonian in NC

I have no particular problem with him, but I'd honestly be gutted if Jagielka has to start at all next season.

He should be our 4th CB, and get a testimonial.  Holgate starts, alongside either Keane or Funes Mori.  Hopefully Baines is no more than splitting time, and gets his testimonial the following season.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 04, 2018, 11:02:19 PM
Reply #35

cantoffee

Think with a lot of the new signings we need to be patient and see how they do next year.

I think we overhauled too much of the team and that almost always causes problems unless the players are of exceptional quality in comparison to the existing ones.

I do think that we clearly need a new CB and LB in addition to a high end CM and probably a striker.

We likely won't bring all of those in, but priority wise I would put CB and LB at the top. We can probably get by without a top CM if we get the balance right and maybe Tosun will come good.

March 04, 2018, 11:14:32 PM
Reply #36

Evertonian in NC

Think with a lot of the new signings we need to be patient and see how they do next year.

I think we overhauled too much of the team and that almost always causes problems unless the players are of exceptional quality in comparison to the existing ones.

I do think that we clearly need a new CB and LB in addition to a high end CM and probably a striker.

We likely won't bring all of those in, but priority wise I would put CB and LB at the top. We can probably get by without a top CM if we get the balance right and maybe Tosun will come good.

I'd prioritize:

1) LB
2) play-making MF
3) CB (think we can make do with what we have if have to)
4) forward (ok with what we have if Lookman comes back and we get Onyekuru's work permit sorted)
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 04, 2018, 11:21:08 PM
Reply #37

eyesalwaysblue

This is more now than manager change and squad shuffling...our club is in deep deep shit..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

March 04, 2018, 11:22:52 PM
Reply #38

Shogun

Administrator

Can see them all sticking around unfortunately.

A bit harsh to stick Martina into that as unlike the other two, he's playing as professionally and well as he possibly can.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

March 04, 2018, 11:34:46 PM
Reply #39

Heisenberg

Pickford, Coleman, Gana, Davies, Lookman, JJK, Holgate, Sigi, Walcott. Out of the whole club these are the only players good enough/have some heart. Everyone else can go as far as Im concerned

March 04, 2018, 11:40:46 PM
Reply #40

GrantyBoy78

What we really "need" is half of a new team.

An issue that should now be all too obvious to football as a whole is that signing a large number of players at the same time does not work. The players can't all gel at once and few seem to have a long-term impact on the club.

It hasn't happened for us (why is another debate), it didn't work for Tottenham after selling Bale, it didn't work for QPR and it hasn't totally worked for AC either.

The club needs to get its off-pitch backroom signings in order before spending another £150m, throwing money at a problem which has been proven won't be fixed in this way. As much as it pains me to say, to keep any form of consistency and familiarity off the pitch going into next season, I think some of the deadwood should be kept on.

I'd love to see Robles, Martina, Williams, Garbutt, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Besic, Niasse, Bolasie and all of the of the others taken to the scrap heap, but I don't think we can really afford to.

Next year we realistically need to focus on stabilising the team, getting some consistency back and aiming for 7-9th. £150m for a back-up goalie, left back, right back, centre back, centre mid, winger and couple of strikers all at once might isn't likely to achieve this.
Agree. Itís a rebuild job and will take a couple of seasons to get back in the position to make an assault on the top 6...and thatís dependent on the board making the right decisions. The new manager wonít be given time though so I predict the new chap will be sacked within 6 months of his appointment.

March 04, 2018, 11:44:11 PM
Reply #41

toffee_scot

Personally, this summer I think we should try and avoid signing too many players for the first team as that can really upset any dynamic that's in the squad. I'd bring in no more than a maximum of four players particularly in central defence, left back, central midfield and a creative attacking player, however if we do have an injury crisis in a particular position then of course we should have to look at bringing in cover.

If we could somehow get rid of Robles, Martina, Williams, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Klaassen, Pennington, Bolasie, plus maybe Sandro if he's not interested in staying at Everton and maybe a couple of the fringe players like Garbutt, Browning or Galloway, then that would really trim the squad and especially the wage bill which could go towards the new players. Of course it will be very difficult to sell all these players especially as many clubs will not want to pay anywhere near what we paid for many of our expensive transfers plus wages could be a huge issue.

Someone like Williams though, I'd happily accept a £12m loss and offer him more or less for free back to Swansea
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:45:46 PM by toffee_scot »

March 04, 2018, 11:49:51 PM
Reply #42

GrantyBoy78

Another squad rebuild isnít  ideal in this inflated market is it? How much would it cost to assemble Spurs squad in this market? Using them as an example as we were the last club to break into the Ďeliteí.

March 04, 2018, 11:53:10 PM
Reply #43

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

A bit harsh to stick Martina into that as unlike the other two, he's playing as professionally and well as he possibly can.

Yea agree, but it would be a sign weíve once again failed terribly.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 05, 2018, 12:11:17 AM
Reply #44

Lxxx

There shouldn't be any need for a 28 year old 3rd choice right back in any squad, however honest and hard working he is.