October 20, 2018, 09:34:52 PM

Author Topic: Left Back - Do we buy one in January?  (Read 7397 times)

December 17, 2017, 10:49:39 PM
Read 7397 times

Thomas

Allardyce seems happy with Martina. However we all know as fans Baines needs a young pretender. We could wait to see what is at the world cup in Russia but I'm not sure.

As everyone on this forum knows I'd pay a kings ransom for KT at Celtic who I have talked about for 18months + and BBC Football Focus started raving about when interviewing him last week, but he has been unequivocal that at this point over the next few years he has zero interest in leaving his boyhood club, even when propositioned with moves to Arsenal. I think he wants to lift 10 in a row as captain and leave then.

t=1s

Anyway then you look at Chilwell at Leicester who is fairly similar to KT but I cant see them letting him leave with such a settled side?

December 17, 2017, 10:54:55 PM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
We have to buy one yes, that's a given imo

Whether or not it's either of them... I'd be surprised

Fully expecting van aanholt
Simply simply lovely

December 17, 2017, 10:57:56 PM
Reply #2

GrantyBoy78

Tierney will win a few more things with Celtic before going to Utd in a couple of years time.

And I’m not sure Chilwell would see us as a step-up from Leicester. They’ve got as much money as us, doubt we could bully them financially.

December 17, 2017, 11:04:35 PM
Reply #3

Thomas

Tierney will win a few more things with Celtic before going to Utd in a couple of years time.

And I’m not sure Chilwell would see us as a step-up from Leicester. They’ve got as much money as us, doubt we could bully them financially.

Agree on both pal, like I've said KT is a rarity in wanting to stay (Le Tissier/Gerrard gear) for as long as possible but realistically it will be 10 in a row, boots thrown into the crowd and clapped off.

December 17, 2017, 11:13:02 PM
Reply #4

therealdunc

Think the OP is wrong regarding Allardyce comments on Martina

He said Martina is doing well considering he is out of position

He said his improvement has made signing a left back not as critical

Fully expect a quality left back to turn up as Baines is on a slow decline , and Garbutt may finally move on.
Blue

December 17, 2017, 11:14:33 PM
Reply #5

Gash

Global Moderator
Good player but I'd question Tierney's ambition if he stays at Celtic for another 18 months never mind 4 years.

I don't think we'll go for one in January, more likely go with what we've got or perhaps give Garbutt a squad number and wait until the summer. With or without a left back we'll still finish in or around 8th.

December 17, 2017, 11:15:29 PM
Reply #6

everton1952

How about Garbutt? Worth a try surely and no cost.

December 17, 2017, 11:16:39 PM
Reply #7

therealdunc

Charlie Daniels is still consistently crap
Blue

December 17, 2017, 11:53:59 PM
Reply #8

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Guarantee we get that palace LB.

Jan stop gap innit.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 17, 2017, 11:58:01 PM
Reply #9

SANA_DR0

Chilwell is the man. (they have Fuchs who seems to play alot more)

lol at op saying that Allardyce prefers Martina... what options does Allardyce have Garbutt? and thats it...
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

December 18, 2017, 12:00:15 AM
Reply #10

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Chilwell is the man. (they have Fuchs who seems to play alot more)

lol at op saying that Allardyce prefers Martina... what options does Allardyce have Garbutt? and thats it...
He says is happy with Martina and he is, loads of Press saying it
Simply simply lovely

December 18, 2017, 12:00:28 AM
Reply #11

BlueBeagle

What sort of pro worth his salt would want to stay at Celtic, boyhood club or not.

What a waste of a career that would be.

December 18, 2017, 12:02:42 AM
Reply #12

Thomas

Good player but I'd question Tierney's ambition if he stays at Celtic for another 18 months never mind 4 years.

I don't think we'll go for one in January, more likely go with what we've got or perhaps give Garbutt a squad number and wait until the summer. With or without a left back we'll still finish in or around 8th.

TBF @Gash I've openly said I'm amazed considering the signing on fee, wages and agents cut that KT is basically rebuffing that he is prepared to follow through with his statement that he wants to stay at Celtic as a one club man like McStay.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15637436.Kieran_Tierney__I_hope_I_go_on_to_become_a_one_club_legend_at_Celtic_like_Billy_McNeill_and_Paul_McStay/

I feel age and experience and new challenges will slowly transform that platitude into a more realistic thing. So maybe when he is at his peak we can snip him then. He's also already captain material, and we need winners and captains in our team.

Short term i think giving Garbutt a squad number and buying someone from the world cup might be the right idea.

December 18, 2017, 12:04:34 AM
Reply #13

Thomas

What sort of pro worth his salt would want to stay at Celtic, boyhood club or not.

What a waste of a career that would be.

Celtic is a big club around the world, although with massive domestic and financial restrictions. A contradiction in terms sure, but once they get going in Europe most realistically in the EL or even the CL they still trump the appeal of Everton in my eyes factoring out the wages and better level of players.

December 18, 2017, 12:05:24 AM
Reply #14

Thomas

Playing devils advocate, purely because he is a Scouser and Sam had him at WHU

Cresswell?