October 23, 2017, 05:33:07 AM

Author Topic: Scottish Football Thread (SPFL etc)  (Read 8037 times)

August 18, 2016, 01:45:20 AM
Read 8037 times

Thomas

Well, Rangers/Sevco/NewCO are back (whatever you want to call them) - do you see them challenging for the league championship and other cups this year?

Or will Celtic do the full domestic treble with Brendan  Rogers and also progress in the Champions League tonight (vs Hapeol - Israeli team) and further into the competition?

Can Celtic or Hibs with Neil Lennon run either team close in the league or domestic cups?

Are their any decent players in that league you would like to sign? (Jason Cummings - Hibs, Dembele/Kieran Tierney -Celtic etc)

Why is the SPFL so shit despite x2 massive teams playing in it, to the point where Mark Warburton is complaining that Rangers are having to offload players to Championship teams in the UK who pay higher money?

LEAGUE TABLE - Rangers top after 2 games
http://spfl.co.uk/premiership/table/

Is their anyone in the Scottish National Team you'd like at Everton?

Is the Behaviour at Football Act (Otherwise known as the 'secterian singing bill' or anti-irish bill by some Celtic/Hibs fans) fair?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:44:12 AM by Thomas »

August 18, 2016, 02:10:44 AM
Reply #1

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Hope celtic get relegated
I have to return some videotapes.

August 18, 2016, 02:11:14 AM
Reply #2

Thomas

Hope celtic get relegated

Haha, each to their own.

The new safe standing at Celtic Park is boss :D

August 18, 2016, 02:19:02 AM
Reply #3

Gash

Global Moderator
Well, Rangers/Sevco/NewCO are back (whatever you want to call them) - do you see them challenging for the league championship and other cups this year?

Or will Celtic do the full domestic treble with Brendan  Rogers and also progress in the Champions League tonight (vs Hapeol - Israeli team) and further into the competition?

Can Celtic or Hibs with Neil Lennon run either team close in the league or domestic cups?

Are their any decent players in that league you would like to sign? (Damon Cummings - Hibs, Dembele/Kieran Tierney -Celtic etc)

Why is the SPFL so shit despite x2 massive teams playing in it, to the point where Mark Warburton is complaining that Rangers are having to offload players to Championship teams in the UK who pay higher money?

LEAGUE TABLE - Rangers top after 2 games
http://spfl.co.uk/premiership/table/

Is their anyone in the Scottish National Team you'd like at Everton?

Scottish football's shite because of the Old Firm not despite them. They're not really massive clubs anymore either, they are in Scotland but outside of Scotland not that many people are arsed about Scottish football, in fact, inside of Scotland not that many people are arsed about Scottish football either.

Scottish football and the Old Firm have been left behind by all the other big leagues in Europe. The influx of money hasn't helped either, as Warburton has said, players would rather leave and go and play in the Championship and earn more money,(plus it's a better level) you only need to look at the Scottish national side, it's made up largely of Premier League squad players and Championship players. Rangers have a bit of a cheek moaning about that though, given that they were taking players from the SPL into the fourth tier of Scottish football with the lure of big wages.

The structure's all wrong as well, they had a chance a year or two ago to revamp Scottish football and all the did was copy the names of the English leagues such is the lack of idea in Scottish football. There's also not the population to sustain a decent level of support and therefore income for the clubs, low populated towns and the lure of the Old Firm are a huge problem with central belt and east coast full of small, poorly supported clubs. It'll never happen because football is so tribal but if they cut it down to three leagues of 10-12 clubs and merged several together it would make a huge difference. Dundee and Dundee Utd are on the same street and both looking in to new grounds, why they don't ground share is bonkers. As an extreme they could even merge the clubs, one club in Dundee being successful and getting 15-20k at a game is better than the two yo-yo clubs they have at the moment. Same in the central belt, Hibs and Hearts can just about stand on their own two feet but and Edinburgh club getting 30-35k at games would be brilliant. Clubs like Falkirk and Livingstone constantly live hand to mouth, they could perhaps merge, Livingstone only came from the fall of Meadowbank and probably ended up taking supporters from Falkirk.

Clubs like Clyde, Clydebank, Partick, Hamilton, Motherwell, Dumbarton, Morton, St Mirren etc spend their lives going up and down the leagues struggling to survive. Kilmarnock have a lovely stadium but can't get 5000 through the gate most weeks, Ayr barely getting a few hundred, maybe they could merge to form an Ayrshire club. Like I said due to the tribal nature of football merging will never happen but until something is done to change it massively, Scottish football is always going to struggle.

It's Jason Cummings by the way. :) It's a shame really, Everton used to always have a fairly strong connection with Scotland having had some club greats over the years. I don't really watch enough Scottish football to see the players but I can't think of any in the Scottish Premiership that I'd want at Everton. The problem with the SP is that it's probably not much better than League 1 in standard so for any player to go to the Premier League is a huge jump in class.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:21:18 AM by Gash »

August 18, 2016, 02:26:39 AM
Reply #4

Thomas

Leigh Griffiths just made it 2-0 Celtic in CL Qualifier :D

August 18, 2016, 02:32:50 AM
Reply #5

Thomas

Smashing free kick from Leigh Griffiths for his second goal

3-0 :D

August 18, 2016, 02:34:24 AM
Reply #6

Shogun

Administrator
God knows how they knocked out Olympiakos in the last round.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

August 18, 2016, 02:36:51 AM
Reply #7

Thomas

Good post @Gash

What I wills say I know 1 or 2 lads playing professionally who see Celtic as a great step up with the added perk of the Champions League. Very occasionally players like Nakumaura, Moravcik or Larrson or Kenny Miller for Rangers turn down huge money elsewhere at least until they are over 30 (Larsson) take the club to their hearts.

Its like Olympiakos/Panathanikos or Steua Bucharest have big histories with regular CL Football and crazy fans who travel far and wide but the league is wrapped up between 2 clubs, still doesn't deter from playing/supporting either club.

The SFA really need to help the national team and fans by kicking some life and money and sponsorship into the SPFL and Scottish Football - safe standing and revamps will be a start of that.

August 18, 2016, 02:38:19 AM
Reply #8

Thomas

God knows how they knocked out Olympiakos in the last round.

Hey - Dundalk could be in the CL Proper. Crazy world. They are playing Legia Warsaw.

August 18, 2016, 02:58:46 AM
Reply #9

Thomas

Hapeol get away goal ffs

Celtic 3-1 Hapoel

August 18, 2016, 03:00:12 AM
Reply #10

Gash

Global Moderator
Good post @Gash

What I wills say I know 1 or 2 lads playing professionally who see Celtic as a great step up with the added perk of the Champions League. Very occasionally players like Nakumaura, Moravcik or Larrson or Kenny Miller for Rangers turn down huge money elsewhere at least until they are over 30 (Larsson) take the club to their hearts.

Its like Olympiakos/Panathanikos or Steua Bucharest have big histories with regular CL Football and crazy fans who travel far and wide but the league is wrapped up between 2 clubs, still doesn't deter from playing/supporting either club.

The SFA really need to help the national team and fans by kicking some life and money and sponsorship into the SPFL and Scottish Football - safe standing and revamps will be a start of that.

The problem for young players is that like Man City many young Scottish player has gone to the Old Firm only to disappear without trace. Scott Allan being the latest player to see his career stall, voted player of the season one year, 18 months later sent on loan to Rotherham. And there's been many other examples over the years. All this does is stall a players career and also hampers the national team as decent players who could progress are seeing their career stopped in it's tracks. Armstrong and MacKay-Steven are similar, they're getting some games but they'd both be a shoe in every week if the were still at Dundee Utd, and both should have 15-20+ caps by now as well. Champions League isn't a perk either considering they either don't get a game or don't qualify half the time anyway.

With regards to Nakamura, Moravcik, Larsson and Kenny Miller etc other than Larsson none of them were every going to play at a much higher level, baring in mind Celtic were still playing at reasonable level in those days, if it was now they be gone in a flash. Kenny Miller had a go at the Premier League a couple of times with Wolves and Derby and largely died on his arse, that's why he ended up hanging around Scottish football for so long.

It'll take a lot more than money, sponsorship (not that any sponsor is going to through game changing money at Scottish football) and some safe standing areas to change things.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:06:20 AM by Gash »

August 18, 2016, 03:00:24 AM
Reply #11

Thomas

August 18, 2016, 03:03:03 AM
Reply #12

Gash

Global Moderator
And there's another problem with Scottish football. Not that Celtic have lost this, far from it but clubs getting fucked in European qualifiers every year and not even getting to the main competition has absolutely ruined our co-efficiency.

August 18, 2016, 03:33:00 AM
Reply #13

Thomas

And there's another problem with Scottish football. Not that Celtic have lost this, far from it but clubs getting fucked in European qualifiers every year and not even getting to the main competition has absolutely ruined our co-efficiency.

Again, good point - that lack of coeffiency has deterred the big players from signing. As i said though, if your a Championship player with teams looking at you even from the EPL - IF Celtic are in the CL Group Stage I know for a fact young hungry players and their agents are attracted by Celtic.

Sometimes @Gash premier league clubs ruin players - look at Aiden McGeady (!) and Liam Miller (Man Utd) and the best example is Tony Watt.

August 18, 2016, 03:43:08 AM
Reply #14

Thomas

Good win for Celtic :D 5-2. Captains goal from Brownie :)

On another point of interest Alan Stubbs did an amazing job at Hibs and is now at Rotheram, if he continues like that especially in a EPL job, future candidate for Everton hot seat?

I can see Rangers over achieving this year and if Aberdeen had more money they could challenge as well.