November 24, 2017, 02:26:37 AM

Author Topic: Proposed rule changes  (Read 1032 times)

January 20, 2017, 05:34:51 PM
Reply #15

TSGun

Love the idea of getting rid of offside.

I have a field hockey background, yeah different game but similar rules and strategies, and it improved the game without doubt.

January 20, 2017, 05:44:17 PM
Reply #16

Macca77

Van Basten can fuck off

January 20, 2017, 05:45:58 PM
Reply #17

Macca77

Change is always needed.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
Turn and face the strange
Ch-ch-changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

January 20, 2017, 05:49:16 PM
Reply #18

hill135

MVB needs to put down the crack pipe.

Can't really envisage what football would be like without the offside rule. Defensive organisation would go out the window and, for a Calcio hipster like me, if that were the case there'd be nothing left :snigger:

January 20, 2017, 06:00:52 PM
Reply #19

Major Clanger

MVB needs to put down the crack pipe.

Can't really envisage what football would be like without the offside rule. Defensive organisation would go out the window and, for a Calcio hipster like me, if that were the case there'd be nothing left :snigger:

It would be great though for whichever team Andy Carroll happens to be playing for. He could stay up all game and they could just lump the ball up to him from anywhere.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

January 20, 2017, 07:22:23 PM
Reply #20

ally2

Even in the primary school playground we had to agree on 'no goal hangers allowed' and we were 9 FFS

January 20, 2017, 07:52:51 PM
Reply #21

TSGun

Taking it out sounds ludicrous but until a test run is implemented it's impossible to gauge.

Even in the smallest measures the pressure on the refs is reduced and other questionable decisions can also be reduced.

January 20, 2017, 10:12:49 PM
Reply #22

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I've seen two variations of the offside rules used. One only once when 'soccer' was launched in the USA in the 80''s and I saw San Diego Sockers at a home game. There was a line across the pitch in each half approx half way between centre line and goal line and you could only be offside in that quarter of the pitch. 'Soccer' was so unreal over there at that time that it was almost impossible to judge it.
The second was a season long experiment in the Conference (as it was called then) whereby you couldn't be offside from a free kick. Spoilt it completely as every team got two giant forwards and stood them within touching difference in front of the keeper and aimed at them. Overall I think the offside rule is OK except for two things:
The rules of football should be simple and the same for every game at every level. Anyone seen a linesman at any Sunday morning game that understands 'interfering with play'? Causes untold problems.
Secondly (a very minor gripe) why do liners have to wait until a forward has run 20 - 30 yards offside before sticking their flag up?
Sin bins I definitely support in addition to video technology that can review sendings off and yellow cards and correct during the match as that wouldn't seriously stop the flow of the game. Ref wrongly issues red card early and the game can be ruined. Rodwell (?) v the redshite some years ago in front of Bullens Rd.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:15:05 PM by Shropshire Blue »
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.