March 30, 2017, 11:43:00 AM

Author Topic: dementia  (Read 300 times)

March 01, 2017, 11:34:58 PM
Read 300 times

blue1948

Not a nice subject so sorry ,especially after the news this week about " The golden vision " ,great article by the way .I was reading that Ronnie Moran also has it and then that Tommy Smith has it as well .Very sad but I must tell this story and he wouldn't mind because he did forgive me .I was given a project , to do the Cavern Walks pub -It was just a concrete shell when we moved in, we were given just a few weeks to do it .
 TS was one of the owners ,anyway I was to attend a preliminary meeting with the owners my boss and the architect .So we go in ( my boss was a typical red ) ( a total prick) and I was introduced to everyone but I refused to shake hands with Tommy Smith and explained that I simply didn't like him and as a blue I couldn't do it ,When we went out my boss told me that if I didn't go back in to apologize ,I was sacked ,so I went back ,went over to Tommy and said "I have been told to apologize but I won't " and he laughed .I went out to the boss and said " sorted " ,we both walked away happy -If only he knew!

March 01, 2017, 11:41:39 PM
Reply #1

blue1948

Started the old cells working now so .I was working in West derby village in the Tesco shop (long gone now) which was opposite the petrol station that was owned by Ron Yeats (sadly another victim I believe) .So every day after training -about ten -he would appear and I would shout " yard dog " at the top of my voice  every day he would look up .Being a tough guy I of course would be hiding in the shadows ( I am only 173cm soaking wet ) ,this went on for many days BUT after too many he came looking for me !!! .I didn't realize I could fit into such a small hole :-).The fact I am typing this proves he would never have made a detective but good memories

March 02, 2017, 01:21:13 AM
Reply #2

Gash

Global Moderator
Just reading the other day that Billy McNeill has it as well. Cruel illness and there's definitely a link between heading those heavy footballs and what's happening to all these old players.

March 03, 2017, 09:14:32 PM
Reply #3

Django

I saw Tommy Smith at a joint EFC/LFC former players night a few weeks ago. Very ill indeed. So sad to see someone like that.

March 04, 2017, 10:20:29 PM
Reply #4

Everton Mint

An ex-Everton player I knew who died the other year had this...a terrible illness and I' m sure linked to heading those case-balls in the 1950/60's.

Tragic for such great sportsmen to end like this.

March 08, 2017, 06:38:45 PM
Reply #5

Ross

NSNO Subscriber
Nice heart felt article about Stan Bowles who's got Alzheimer's

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/08/stan-bowles-qpr-alzheimers-memories

Think his mate Shanks makes an excellent point about the PFA as well.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.