November 18, 2017, 05:21:08 AM

Author Topic: Summer Spending  (Read 108526 times)

Offline Lxxx

• Neville Southall
Re: Summer Spending
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
I've said it before, but I've never been bothered about boring people so - it's not so much about what we can spend as it is about what we can attract. If we got 200M for Lukaku from China - would one of Europe's top strikers want to come to Everton, even on silly money?

I doubt it. They're all on silly money already and it would be a massive step-down in terms of European football aspirations.

Regardless of spend, each window we need progress, improvement, better players and all that needs to translate to performances on the pitch. No amount of money is going to make Messi come next season.

True. To build in this league is a step by step process. Every year the big teams spend big money and pull themselves away from the rest of the pack a little more so to expect us to make significant inroads in one window to jump two steps forward and then get into the top 4 mix is too optimistic.
As long as there is a clear progression in our squad that's about all we can expect window on window, regardless of net spend (although there is obviously a clear correlation in spending more usually equating to increased progress).

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team