December 12, 2017, 08:53:37 AM

Author Topic: [News]What is Ross Barkley for?  (Read 21080 times)

April 06, 2017, 12:39:33 AM
Reply #45

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Barkley is up there for player of the season right now. Osman's way off on this one.

deCoubertin

April 06, 2017, 12:58:06 AM
Reply #46

BlueNoseMike

Barkley has been great for us this year. I do think the criticism is harsh but I think he gets attacked so much by pundits and our fans because he is capable of even more and on a consistent basis.

Until the last 3 month he probably hadn't kicked on and considering his level 3 years ago he should be well beyond that by now. The fact his not can be debated (martinez, mentality) but he isn't.

Basically people tipped him to be a world beater and he isn't there so people are asking why. If he was some random player that didn't show promise there would be a different overall opinion of him.

I liken it to rooney. He has constantly been critiqued because he had the potential to be the best in the world. He didn't quite hit those heights and has had a fantastic career all the same.

Barkley still has time on his side but people would have expected him to be further on in development. He should be as consistent as alli and as dangerous in big games.

I'm waffling here cos my phones about to die. But little bit of food for thought here; Zidane made his debut for France at the age of 23. Look what he achieved

April 06, 2017, 01:21:03 AM
Reply #47

KoemansNumberTens

Been very good in the main this season. I do think he lacks something mentally though. He started the derby like gazza started that cup final, still makes the odd ridiculous decision and lacks composure. Still vastly improved under koeman. Takes time to reprogram after martinezs do what the fuck you like you're gonna be the best player in the world nonsense

April 06, 2017, 01:25:20 AM
Reply #48

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I know it's no one person but I fucking hate the comparisons to Alli and I rate Barkley above him

April 06, 2017, 01:49:03 AM
Reply #49

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
He definitely hasn't scored enough tho. that is my criticism of him. To play where he plays he has to get at least 10 a season or 5 with like 15 assists. he should be contributing to about 20 goals a season.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 06, 2017, 01:57:50 AM
Reply #50

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He definitely hasn't scored enough tho. that is my criticism of him. To play where he plays he has to get at least 10 a season or 5 with like 15 assists. he should be contributing to about 20 goals a season.

No reason he shouldn't with his shooting ability either.

Think he lacks a real goal scoring drive though.

That Lukaku run where he shot after going past Rojo near the end is a case in point. He should have been screaming for that ball as he'd have a tap in but he's watching Lukaku.

April 06, 2017, 01:59:55 AM
Reply #51

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah i agree, with two good feet he should be scoring more.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 06, 2017, 02:10:59 AM
Reply #52

blue slug

He's a good season overall with a few bad games here and there, he does frustrate me with his decision making sometimes though

April 06, 2017, 03:21:30 AM
Reply #53

ally2

Do you rate his shooting ability then?  Cos I don't.

April 06, 2017, 03:36:58 AM
Reply #54

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Do you rate his shooting ability then?  Cos I don't.

He has a good shot, and can bend them and curl them. has power in both feet. his shooting is obviously not very good as he isn't scoring and should be much better than it is.

April 06, 2017, 04:24:36 AM
Reply #55

kramer0

His technique is good but his shot locations aren't. That's largely down to decision-making/movement/anticipation (or whatever you want to call it since those are all interrelated or versions of the same thing). Considering where he is on the pitch, he should be finding better shooting opportunities.

The thing that fascinates me about Osman's criticism is that Ross's floor right now (at least in my view) is that he becomes a better version of Osman -- a technical player who makes the ball stick in tight areas, wins fouls, but doesn't get the goals or assists you'd expect/hope for -- except with additional pace, strength, and dribbling ability (but sadly minus the heading ability  :().

April 06, 2017, 04:42:12 AM
Reply #56

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
His technique is good but his shot locations aren't. That's largely down to decision-making/movement/anticipation (or whatever you want to call it since those are all interrelated or versions of the same thing). Considering where he is on the pitch, he should be finding better shooting opportunities.

The thing that fascinates me about Osman's criticism is that Ross's floor right now (at least in my view) is that he becomes a better version of Osman -- a technical player who makes the ball stick in tight areas, wins fouls, but doesn't get the goals or assists you'd expect/hope for -- except with additional pace, strength, and dribbling ability (but sadly minus the heading ability  :().
Barkley stays at the level he is, he is a better player (in a different way) than Osman who played in similar positions

If you coukd mix the best of both, you'd have some player

Simply simply lovely

April 06, 2017, 05:27:19 AM
Reply #57

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Think he lacks a real goal scoring drive though.

That Lukaku run where he shot after going past Rojo near the end is a case in point. He should have been screaming for that ball as he'd have a tap in but he's watching Lukaku.

I agree.

He's a mad player with so much ability, technique and physical prowess but doesn't get enough highlights to be honest.

I know I'm in the minority but I like to see him drop deep a bit, when he isn't doing his take-everyone-on game and is just knitting the play, spreading passes, maybe skinning one or two or drawing players in before laying it off.

I love all that because it's a different side to Ross that I do think he has besides the athlete running back game he turns on in big games. When he can do both regularly you'll see a player running the game front to back.

As for his goals...I'd like to see his stats on shooting - don't feel like he's had many digs outside the box this year, or digs from within the frame of the goal on the edge of the box. He can put it on a twenty penger in either top corner with either foot, but for whatever reason he's not been doing it...maybe trying to be less of a 'selfish ball hog' as some would have it and concentrate more on splitting the defence...
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 06, 2017, 05:47:41 AM
Reply #58

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I agree.

He's a mad player with so much ability, technique and physical prowess but doesn't get enough highlights to be honest.

I know I'm in the minority but I like to see him drop deep a bit, when he isn't doing his take-everyone-on game and is just knitting the play, spreading passes, maybe skinning one or two or drawing players in before laying it off.

I love all that because it's a different side to Ross that I do think he has besides the athlete running back game he turns on in big games. When he can do both regularly you'll see a player running the game front to back.

As for his goals...I'd like to see his stats on shooting - don't feel like he's had many digs outside the box this year, or digs from within the frame of the goal on the edge of the box. He can put it on a twenty penger in either top corner with either foot, but for whatever reason he's not been doing it...maybe trying to be less of a 'selfish ball hog' as some would have it and concentrate more on splitting the defence...

Where he plays he should be getting on the end of balls in the box and finding opportunities in the box and outside.

April 06, 2017, 05:52:05 AM
Reply #59

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Where he plays he should be getting on the end of balls in the box and finding opportunities in the box and outside.

I don't think we make a great deal of chances inside the box really, and when we do they fall to Rom and rightly so.

When we are making chances he's on the outside making them rather than trying to toe it in like Cahill would have.

I don't know...what kind of midfielder is he? Who's profile does he match? I can't help but think he's the closest to Yaya Toure, who was expert at finishing sweeping moves just outside or just inside the box, he hasn't quite shown that to be honest, so maybe he'll hover at 5-8 goals a year.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.