December 14, 2017, 02:36:40 AM

Author Topic: [News]What is Ross Barkley for?  (Read 21128 times)

April 06, 2017, 05:55:04 AM
Reply #60

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think we make a great deal of chances inside the box really, and when we do they fall to Rom and rightly so.

When we are making chances he's on the outside making them rather than trying to toe it in like Cahill would have.

I don't know...what kind of midfielder is he? Who's profile does he match? I can't help but think he's the closest to Yaya Toure, who was expert at finishing sweeping moves just outside or just inside the box, he hasn't quite shown that to be honest, so maybe he'll hover at 5-8 goals a year.

Toure played deeper. he plays almost as a number 10. he never ever gets ahead of Lukaku so that Lukaku can play him in. it's why i think we have issues and why lukaku can't hold it up as he doesn't have someone to pass to.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

deCoubertin

April 06, 2017, 07:19:44 AM
Reply #61

TSGun

Am I the only one who reads this thread title and instantly begins singing the Edwin Starr classic?

April 06, 2017, 01:42:14 PM
Reply #62

Rhys

He definitely hasn't scored enough tho. that is my criticism of him. To play where he plays he has to get at least 10 a season or 5 with like 15 assists. he should be contributing to about 20 goals a season.

I was thinking that. Most people would agree that since the turn of 2017 he has been really good much more of a constant influence on a match. And that last year he had a poor season and wasn't a surprise for me he was down the pecking order at the euros.

However this season he's scored 5 and got 7 assists. Whereas last year he got 12 goals and 13 assists and they were all before the team downed tools from mid March onwards.

That's 12 goals/assists against 25 last year. I know dele alli plays more as a forward and is in a really good team but if you compare the stats this year in the league Ross has 4 goals 7 assists against Ali's 15 goals 5 assists.

We know Ross creates chances and his assist ratio over the last 2 years is far better than his first 2 seasons under Roberto where it was non existent. However I agree there isn't enough drive for him to get goals like alli has, he doesn't show enough conviction around the box when he has opportunities to score like when had rojo one on one down the right channel with space instead of going at him at pace taking rojo on his weaker side he slows the game down and plays the pass inside.

He has goals in him and he's played with far more sense this season overall, but 4 league goals isn't enough in 29 games from someone with his shooting ability and playing as high up the pitch as he does. Hopefully that's something which koeman can get into him that he needs to get into the box more, he needs to have that hunger to get goals and I can't believe I'm saying this after he was shooting from anywhere in his first season but he needs to get more shots away when he gets around the edge of the area.

April 08, 2017, 09:04:58 PM
Reply #63

KoemansNumberTens

Do you rate his shooting ability then?  Cos I don't.

He strikes a ball brilliantly but he's zero composure. Gets so many blocked pissing about and scuffs a lot cos he gets giddy.

April 08, 2017, 09:49:29 PM
Reply #64

Toddacelli

I don't know about him not having drive to score.

Seems to enjoy it every bit as much as any kid on the park....

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 08, 2017, 10:26:20 PM
Reply #65

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
There's an element of surprise about Ross when he scores from inside the box, like when he's managed to get a foot on it or a rare tap in he wheels away delighted but he looks a bit shocked to me. Even that goal above, there's not much that looks inevitable and bread and butter (like for example when rom gets through and 9/10 it looks like a boring formality to him),  looks more like he realises he's got a crazy chance he rarely gets.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 08, 2017, 11:04:04 PM
Reply #66

Toddacelli

There's an element of surprise about Ross when he scores from inside the box, like when he's managed to get a foot on it or a rare tap in he wheels away delighted but he looks a bit shocked to me. Even that goal above, there's not much that looks inevitable and bread and butter (like for example when rom gets through and 9/10 it looks like a boring formality to him),  looks more like he realises he's got a crazy chance he rarely gets.

Which all suggests that he would like to score and that he does like scoring.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 08, 2017, 11:44:10 PM
Reply #67

Bluedylan

Is this an existential question? What is Ross Barkley? Stardust, like the rest of us, I suppose.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

April 08, 2017, 11:45:41 PM
Reply #68

Paddockoldie

I'd like him to shoot more from outside the box but he delays for another touch at times and the chance goes. Shame really as he can shoot with both feet... remember the Newcastle game? Would love more of that Ross.

April 08, 2017, 11:57:47 PM
Reply #69

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Which all suggests that he would like to score and that he does like scoring.

Nobody dislikes scoring, but the thrill of getting a goal compared to the drive to score and score and score...very different things.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 09, 2017, 12:05:00 AM
Reply #70

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think Osman probably has a slightly better insight into Ross Barkleys abilities than anyone on here tbh

Wish Osman had had such an insightful perspective on his own game.

Incredible ability, should have scored twice the amount he scored. Should have had three times over the assists.

April 09, 2017, 01:04:35 AM
Reply #71

Major Clanger

Nobody dislikes scoring, but the thrill of getting a goal compared to the drive to score and score and score...very different things.

We should sign up Cahill as his personal trainer :)
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

April 10, 2017, 12:25:58 AM
Reply #72

MmmBlueRamirez

/close thread

Ross Barkley is clearly there to put in motm performances to beat the league champions.

Well in lad.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

April 10, 2017, 12:29:13 AM
Reply #73

Coyb12

Played well today.

April 10, 2017, 12:29:50 AM
Reply #74

Bluedylan

Annoying that they ask Koeman about the contract situation but not Barkley.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.