August 21, 2017, 03:30:25 PM

Author Topic: Left back  (Read 4805 times)

August 05, 2017, 01:26:52 AM
Reply #15

Waltzer

Baines is a shadow of the player he was. He's competent now. He used to be the best full back in the league
Agree. Been thinking for a while that he's turning into one of our weaker links, all the positives of years gone by are diminishing at a faster rate than I thought they would. Been a great servant but all good things come to and end

deCoubertin

August 05, 2017, 01:32:27 AM
Reply #16

Alanvideo

Agree. Been thinking for a while that he's turning into one of our weaker links, all the positives of years gone by are diminishing at a faster rate than I thought they would. Been a great servant but all good things come to and end
.....................but he did score his first ever goal last week.
We are special ,we are Everton.

August 05, 2017, 01:39:24 AM
Reply #17

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
I think Baines is being let down by not having a partner in front of him on the left who he can work in tandem with. Be interesting to see him and GS on the left side
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

August 05, 2017, 01:58:08 AM
Reply #18

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
He's only been playing 10 minutes but Galloway is playing superb for Sunderland.

Edit: And literally as soon as I pressed post he lets a player walk past him and score haha
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:00:39 AM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

August 05, 2017, 02:01:20 AM
Reply #19

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think Baines is being let down by not having a partner in front of him on the left who he can work in tandem with. Be interesting to see him and GS on the left side

I think there's some forgetting of what he used to do; or more precisely how he did it.

He was never one to just bomb on like Coleman, nor (bar that run vs Chelsea prior to Beckford's equaliser) was he one for single handedly taking on player after player.

His partnership with Pienaar was based on two players with excellent footballing brains and appreciation of movements.

He was also more likely to cross the ball with Cahill and / or Fellaini in the box to aim for.

So yeah I think if Sigurdsson plays near him it'll be interesting to see what he's like again.

I also think people rate his performances now against him being possibly the best left back in europe, which understandably he's not going to be at this point in his career, rather than just seeing him as a good player still.

August 05, 2017, 02:20:00 AM
Reply #20

bigmanbob

Sorry, Baines a week link? That's a load of tosh. He doesn't get forward as much but that is down to Koemans instructions not his lack of ability

August 05, 2017, 03:31:54 AM
Reply #21

sam of the south

Yes, I agree that he has suffered offensively from having a lack of a Pienaar or Osman to dovetail and one-two with.

However, even in his prime he was prone to letting one too many crosses come over, but now the frequency has increased, and of course his set-piece delivery is also nothing to write home about these days either.

I don't believe he is a weak link, he just isn't anywhere near being the best player in the side like he used to be.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 05, 2017, 04:12:13 AM
Reply #22

Lxxx

The squad is now starting to look very disjointed. One player in the whole squad to cover the left hand side of the pitch. I don't count Mirallas as although he may start a game there you'll almost never see him on the wing.

August 05, 2017, 05:52:42 AM
Reply #23

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I thought Martina was able to play left back?

He'll be left back in the changies
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

August 05, 2017, 06:35:50 AM
Reply #24

Robioto

I think next summer will be the time for such a signing as baines still has 2 good years in him. I thought Martina was able to play left back?

He's played centre back and defensive midfielder a bit through his career but he has only played left back once in his entire career.

August 05, 2017, 06:59:14 AM
Reply #25

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
He put a decent corner in once, everyone wanked and said he was better than baines and he should be first team.

Then he couldn't get a game at league one and championship sides on loan

Now he's in limbo
Didn't he break his leg and basically hasn't progressed since? Or am I thinking of someone else?

August 05, 2017, 08:38:22 AM
Reply #26

Evertonian in NC

Sorry, Baines a week link? That's a load of tosh. He doesn't get forward as much but that is down to Koemans instructions not his lack of ability

He's improved tremendously as a pure defender under Koeman, too.  So it's not as if he's just curling into a ball.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 05, 2017, 08:38:49 AM
Reply #27

Evertonian in NC

Didn't he break his leg and basically hasn't progressed since? Or am I thinking of someone else?

That's our poor, beloved, handsome Oviedo.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 05, 2017, 08:47:43 AM
Reply #28

AllyBlue14

Barkley ;)

August 05, 2017, 07:10:10 PM
Reply #29

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
No, I wasn't thinking of Barkley as he didn't break his leg just after going out on loan.

It was ankle ligaments, happened just before the season started after going on loan to Fulham. That was when he'd been lauded by many as Baines replacement, but he has struggled to get anywhere since:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-luke-garbutt-vows-return-10419879