August 21, 2017, 03:19:29 PM

Author Topic: Left back  (Read 4802 times)

August 05, 2017, 07:16:41 PM
Reply #30

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
I'm amazed so many think Baines is past it.. ignoring his vital goal, I guess some didn't notice a few great crosses either.. which was his primary contribution to being 'the best left back in Europe' for chance creation. And ignoring that he still gets the crosses in despite not having had a link man on the left for years now.. Set pieces got taken off him by Lukaku amongst others, although with Rooney and possibly Sig I doubt that will change.

Agree with Jimmy's point though, if he got injured we would be lacking there. Baines is one of those players who you don't realise is that important until he's missing and no-one is capable of the same level of cover. But then that's probably why every manager during his time (including RK) always has him as first choice when fit. Give him a proper link up on the left and he'd be back to banging in crosses and using the 'underlap'.

deCoubertin

August 05, 2017, 07:42:54 PM
Reply #31

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Baines is a fucking boss. Easily one of the best footballers at the club.

August 05, 2017, 08:54:11 PM
Reply #32

EVERTON 66

Would be an ideal time to phase-out Leighton with an understudy who will play 10 games this season and then become our starter next season.
Still think Leighton Baines has 2 more good  years in him!!!

August 05, 2017, 08:55:25 PM
Reply #33

EVERTON 66

What has happened with Luke Garbutt?
Back in the u23's now think he is the new niasse!!!!

August 05, 2017, 08:57:07 PM
Reply #34

EVERTON 66

I think next summer will be the time for such a signing as baines still has 2 good years in him. I thought Martina was able to play left back?
O please no dont want to rely on martina on what he has shown so far!!!!!

August 05, 2017, 09:00:08 PM
Reply #35

EVERTON 66

Think it'll likely be Bruno Martins Indi.
I like Bruno but he is more a CB. Need a LB who can run up m down the flanks to compensate for lack of speed up front.

August 05, 2017, 10:05:12 PM
Reply #36

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think there's some forgetting of what he used to do; or more precisely how he did it.

He was never one to just bomb on like Coleman, nor (bar that run vs Chelsea prior to Beckford's equaliser) was he one for single handedly taking on player after player.

His partnership with Pienaar was based on two players with excellent footballing brains and appreciation of movements.

He was also more likely to cross the ball with Cahill and / or Fellaini in the box to aim for.

So yeah I think if Sigurdsson plays near him it'll be interesting to see what he's like again.

I also think people rate his performances now against him being possibly the best left back in europe, which understandably he's not going to be at this point in his career, rather than just seeing him as a good player still.

I'm actually backing Baines to have a great season, I thought he looked like he was at least on the ball more.

If we can get him on the ball in those advanced positions as much through the season as we have in pre, then when everyone's up to speed he'll be invaluable.

I'd still take Baines this year over Ben 'one assist' Chilwell or whatever flavour of the week LB people like at the minute.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 05, 2017, 10:11:51 PM
Reply #37

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
P.s not a dig at Rambo I just get a bit eye-rolly after we as a fan base have seemed inordinately interested in replacing a player before his time imo for years now.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 05, 2017, 11:05:35 PM
Reply #38

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
We clearly need back up to cover for him if none of the young lads are featuring. He's still excellent but we've got a lot of games and we need to be looking long term

August 05, 2017, 11:10:39 PM
Reply #39

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We clearly need back up to cover for him if none of the young lads are featuring. He's still excellent but we've got a lot of games and we need to be looking long term

We're probably in a tough position in that we won't want to spend the kind of money needed to get a long term, guaranteed replacement nor would some players want to come to be back up to him.

Which is probably why we're after a utility player as they'll be cheaper and know that they'll get a lot of games due to their versatility.

August 05, 2017, 11:12:25 PM
Reply #40

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We're probably in a tough position in that we won't want to spend the kind of money needed to get a long term, guaranteed replacement nor would some players want to come to be back up to him.

Which is probably why we're after a utility player as they'll be cheaper and know that they'll get a lot of games due to their versatility.

Odd that we were in for kolasinac but I suppose if there was a potential bargain to be had I can understand it.

August 05, 2017, 11:14:57 PM
Reply #41

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Odd that we were in for kolasinac but I suppose if there was a potential bargain to be had I can understand it.

Yeah if there's a bargain or someone prepared to be back for a year or two then, aside from wages (which may also be why we're looking at someone filling in for 2/3 positions) then I'm sure we'd do it.

August 05, 2017, 11:26:05 PM
Reply #42

Alanvideo

What has happened with Luke Garbutt?

...............He's alive and kicking ! Just scored a pen for the U23's at Bangor.
We are special ,we are Everton.

August 06, 2017, 12:21:41 AM
Reply #43

Morta75

I saw the Celtic left back Tierney in the game against Rosenborg. He was really good, creating a lot of chances. cost a lot off money I would guess...

August 06, 2017, 12:28:38 AM
Reply #44

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber

.....................but he did score his first ever goal last week.
  lolol. Dont even Think you fell for that on @Toddacelli