October 21, 2017, 01:09:31 AM

Author Topic: Be honest, did you expect more from Moshiri?  (Read 4572 times)

August 12, 2017, 03:13:04 PM
Reply #150

BlueForYou

Work in progress, slow but sure - no complaints
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

deCoubertin

August 12, 2017, 03:35:13 PM
Reply #151

blue1948

[If we're actually discussing this] Moshiri has:

- Given the club an interest-free loan to clear its debt
- Improved our commercial deals
- Made progress towards a new stadium
- [I don't have the actual numbers but this seems to be the case] Increased our spending on wages
- [To be determined based on results, obviously] Attempted to solidify 7th place with modest (net) spending on transfer fees

Maybe it isn't the most eye-catching approach but what he's doing is sound. An English club can't just buy its way into being Champions League regulars right now because it's too expensive (we've all seen what prices are like this summer and they're not coming down anytime soon) and there's too much competition (City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, and Arsenal can all spend a ton if they want to). Establishing ourselves as the 7th best team in England and making ourselves a fixture in the later rounds of the Europa League is a sensible short-term strategy. Over time, we'll become a more attractive option for high-quality players and we'll be able to challenge for bigger things.

It's also worth considering the most likely alternative to Moshiri: Kenwright pumping whatever money he can scrounge up into a do-it-all manager. That approach worked fine when the manager was Moyes (good recruitment) but went to shit when it was Martinez (bad recruitment). Over time, that approach was probably going to make us a fixture in the lower half of the Premier League. Moshiri has, at the very least, pushed our floor up to the top half of the table, which is a comfortable spot to be in and a good place to build from.

He probably could have done better than Koeman and Walsh on the footballing side of things but it's still too early to judge these two properly and it's a minor gripe considering where we finished last season and where we're likely to finish this season. (Not to mention that it's a bit unrealistic to expect the board to nail every appointment.)

To put it all more simply: :thumbsup: for Moshiri. He's better than Kenwright and I don't see any new owners (or "major shareholders") in English football doing a markedly better job.

You have missed the main point ,that we are not allowed to spend like the PSG's because of the 108% wage bill clause .The Mr Moshiri thing ,I think he is the perfect owner for us .He has increased the standing of the club ,the property values in the city centre,is planning to build a new stadium and the team is not suffering ,in fact the opposite in my opinion . I have no real idea what more he could do !

August 12, 2017, 04:09:39 PM
Reply #152

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Some people get far too wound up by the OP, it's not so much of a daft question, you do actually hear some fans questioning the signings and the facts we are quibbling over 5m for Gylfi if we have all this money.

Getting the 100% go ahead with the stadium should put people straight.

My own opinion is that we ARE operating a new level since Moshiri has come along and he's delivered more than I could have hoped so far.
We're not going out spending hundreds of millions net spend (but very few clubs are), yes we have had to sell our best player (as do nearly all clubs).

The big difference is the perception and expectancy of us by other fans and the media. We are now expected to finish at least 7th, and possibly even push for top 5, some people even giving us a chance of top 4.
That's a big swing in opinion, we have always believed we could challenge, but most other people saw us as 'plucky little Everton'.

That's the big difference for me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:57:59 PM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

August 12, 2017, 04:23:29 PM
Reply #153

fubarruk

No

Anyone expecting more than clearing the clubs debt, providing club with new stadium (will happen) a host of record signings  and sought after manager is frankly a fucking idiot.

August 12, 2017, 04:26:03 PM
Reply #154

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
No i expected much less and I have been consistently surprised

August 12, 2017, 05:56:56 PM
Reply #155

Realist

Some people get far too wound up by the OP, it's not so much of a daft question, you do actually hear some fans questioning the signings and the facts we are quibbling over 5m for Gylfi if we have all this money.

Getting the 100% go ahead with the stadium should put people straight.

My own opinion is that we ARE operating a new level since Moshiri has come along and he's delivered more than I could have hoped so far.
We're not going out spending hundreds of millions net spend (but very few clubs are), yes we have had to sell our best player (as do nearly all clubs).

The big difference is the perception and expectancy of us by other fans and the media. We are now expected to finish at least 7th, and possibly even push for top 5, some people even giving us a chance of top 4.
That's a big swing in opinion, we have always believed we could challenge, but most other people saw us as 'plucky little Everton'.

That's the big difference for me.
:thumbsup:

August 12, 2017, 06:26:49 PM
Reply #156

toffee_scot

I think we have done very well since Moshiri became the largest shareholder at Everton.

He is trying to think very much in the long term so some results might not be evident right now but he is creating a stronger base for us to compete at the very top end of the table especially financially. We are hearing a lot about new sponsorship deals coming into effect and while their values still pale in comparison to a team like Man Utd, we now find we've got muscle to attract players of a higher quality and able to do it within the parameters of Financial Fair Play.

August 12, 2017, 06:28:57 PM
Reply #157

Elgoodo1978

Don't think there's much more he could have done TBH and I think its easy to forget how prudent we had to be with coin not so long ago.  In around a year we've gone from "where's the Naismith money gone" to "shouldn't we spending 50mil on a striker not a midfielder" so I think there's been some progress like!

EDIT! saying that though the two seasons I've been most deflated going into a new season, we finished 4th (after the Ronney sale) and 5th with 72 points (martinez first season).  So I'm with deafeatist, Moshiri's a great big let down!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:42:25 PM by Elgoodo1978 »

August 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM
Reply #158

Gary1878

I think one thing that we have been great with this season has been the foresight in the transfer market. Behind the scenes, it seems like we had a good feel of the money that we were going to obtain for Rom, and spent it wisely and early before selling. This is a huge change in strategy from previous seasons. My two favourite signings so far are Pickford and Keane, who have looked every part 30m players.

The whole atmosphere has changed around the club, and he should take a lot of credit for taking a stagnating but historic footballing institution like Everton and trying to turn it into a modern, forward thinking, world class business. This won't be done overnight, but we can already see the benefits of having someone like Moshiri at the helm.

August 15, 2017, 03:21:09 AM
Reply #159

D15TIN

Well so far
-he's sacked the awful Roberto Martinez
-convinced Ronald koeman to become our manager (no chance he'd have joined without the promise of more money available)
- cleared the debt,
-improved our brand, better corporate deals (sponsoring finch farm etc)
-looks like we'll be moving to a new state of the art stadium on the Liverpool waterfront
- broken our transfer record twice this summer and probably a third time once Sigurdsson signs.
-Bought the liver birds for a laugh

What more do we want so far?

I'd also make the point, we've missed the Chelsea/Man City days, no FFP in place etc could spend what they wanted, buy from who they wanted, theres more money about now
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:24:26 AM by D15TIN »

August 15, 2017, 05:52:54 AM
Reply #160

Toddacelli

Well so far
-he's sacked the awful Roberto Martinez
-convinced Ronald koeman to become our manager (no chance he'd have joined without the promise of more money available)
- cleared the debt,
-improved our brand, better corporate deals (sponsoring finch farm etc)
-looks like we'll be moving to a new state of the art stadium on the Liverpool waterfront
- broken our transfer record twice this summer and probably a third time once Sigurdsson signs.
-Bought the liver birds for a laugh

What more do we want so far?

I'd also make the point, we've missed the Chelsea/Man City days, no FFP in place etc could spend what they wanted, buy from who they wanted, theres more money about now

Yeah forgot about that. Absolutely fucking class.

Troll levels:

Being a Negative Nelly -                                                                                    Troll Level: @Defeatist

Buying the Liver birds for a laugh and owning your rivals actual emblem -       Troll Level: God
that their club crest is a picture of

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 15, 2017, 01:50:19 PM
Reply #161

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah I've been pleased with Moshiri so far to be honest. Said the right things and has backed the manager up to now.

I wouldn't say I expected more, but I did deep, deep down sort of dare to dream a little bit.

E.g VVD, Bats, Auba
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 15, 2017, 02:42:03 PM
Reply #162

van der Meyde

Not really.

Given financial constraints, I was never particularly expecting an oligarch-style takeover, so the spending is about what I'd expect.

The main roles he's filled - manager and Director of Football - have perhaps been more Premier League-focused than I'd have expected. When a Director of Football was first mooted, I thought it might indicate a couple of darlings of the analytics world filling those roles.

I might have expected slightly more progress on the commercial front too - more USM sponsorship, not tying ourselves down to a 5 year deal with SportPesa, etc.

Overall though, if he's done a good job of modernising the club and, if the stadium meets half the promises if it comes to fruition, I'll be happy enough.

August 15, 2017, 03:09:37 PM
Reply #163

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
OK, if the OP wasn't trolling and was a genuine question to understand the current feeling of apathy that many are feeling, what about pushing this question into the future a little bit?

We are hamstrung to some extent with 2 sets of FFP rules (premier league & uefa). For all extents and purposes wages are more of an issue than transfer fees. (bore off with the 7m net spend - that's not how our accounts work).
But, you can basically blow apart the FFP rules once and just get landed with a fine (not even really a significant one, anywhere between 250k and a few million).

With that in mind, when would you "blow your load" if Moshiri is willing to put some of his own money on the table (above the interest free loan/stadium)?

The Jan of a manager that looks like he is outgoing
1st season of a new manager
2nd season of said manager
If/when we "break" the top 6
If/when we "break" top 4
If/when we get within touching distance of the league itself

The later you do it in that list the more chance of success you have. I'm pinning my hopes on Moshiri sitting in his offices, sweating, hand over a massive red button with "Spend" on it. With Noel Edmonds (taking time out from curing cancer with his mind) chattering in his ear about what the banker is saying.

As long as Koeman and the team look like thye may be able to inch forward whilst treading water financially then i'm ok with him holding off slamming that button.

August 16, 2017, 04:29:34 AM
Reply #164

Liam

Administrator
Net spend has just gone up unless we got 45 million for Gareth Barry.