October 19, 2017, 04:03:59 PM

Author Topic: Ratings Vs Stoke City  (Read 2140 times)

August 13, 2017, 02:48:07 AM
Reply #15

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford 8 - commanding presence, did everything right and made a great save to preserve the win late on
Jagielka 7 - was good without being spectacular but read the game well and looked assured
Williams 7 - as per Jagielka really although excelled in the air especially
Keane 7 - again solid but not spectacular.  Think he's going to be a class player.
DCL 7 - struggled on the right but great cross for the goal.  2nd half he came in to his own and was really good.  I'm excited to see more of him up front.
Schneiderlin 5 - really thought he looked off the pace, as he has done in preseason.  Some really poor passing.  Sure he'll get back in to form though.
Gana 8 - classic performance from him today, especially 2nd half.  Buzzing around winning the ball and using it well consistently.  Some energy he's got.
Klaasen 5 - it's early days but I think at the moment he's struggling being on the same team as Rooney who plays in the same areas.  Again I'm sure he'll come good though once he finds his place in the team.
Baines 6 - was ok but wasn't involved much really.
Rooney 7 - much better and seemed more relaxed today somehow, wasn't snatching at stuff.  Lovely header for the goal, and was involved in everything.
Sandro 6 - showed some good movement and touches at time, but never really looked like scoring when he got in to decent positions.  Repeating myself here but again reckon he'll come good no problem.

Martina 6 - he's limited but he's got a decent cross on him.  Some silly errors though and I'd not like to see him play in a game where we're under pressure.
Davies 7 - I think when he came on we had our best spell of the game where really we should have put the game to bed.  Energetic and positive.
Mirallas 6 - did alright and did a job as an outlet towards the end when we were under the cosh

deCoubertin

August 13, 2017, 02:56:20 AM
Reply #16

Evertonian in NC

I've said before he's a brave lad and up for the hard work.

If he bulks up a stone or so of muscle he'll do well I think, but enough of this bollocks about playing him wide it's not his in his game.

well, he showed that he has excellent crossing ability in his locker, but other than that I agree.  He's not a wide option.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 13, 2017, 02:57:05 AM
Reply #17

Evertonian in NC

Also, maybe I'm the only one, but I think Sandro clearly deserves a 7 today.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 13, 2017, 03:00:23 AM
Reply #18

gizzblue

Also, maybe I'm the only one, but I think Sandro clearly deserves a 7 today.
I'm still really excited by this guy ....think once he settles a bit he will be awesome.

August 13, 2017, 03:01:35 AM
Reply #19

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I've said before he's a brave lad and up for the hard work.

If he bulks up a stone or so of muscle he'll do well I think, but enough of this bollocks about playing him wide it's not his in his game.

Well he's not a RWB.... ;)

Don't mind him as a wide forward in a 3 - think he's gets a raw deal as people still expect players out there to be out and out wingers - as I'd like to see him get minutes rather than be limited to the one position.

August 13, 2017, 03:10:00 AM
Reply #20

bigac

Schneiderlin was very poor. Even McCarthy would be more effective. Really worried by his form.

August 13, 2017, 03:14:48 AM
Reply #21

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I think he shoehorned DCL in as he felt he deserved to be in the starting XI but it couldn't be at the expense of Rooney or Sandro.  But Davies would have been a much better option in that right sided position that he is.

Tactically we then end up pinging the ball right hoping he'll win the ball out there but at present he seems to struggle holding it up out on the touchline.  When he wins the ball in the air there's no one close enough to capitalise.  He did put in a cracking cross though of course, but I reckon he mustn't enjoy playing in that position.

As mentioned a 4-3-3 with him in one of the wider roles would be ok.

August 13, 2017, 03:17:56 AM
Reply #22

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Schneiderlin was very poor. Even McCarthy would be more effective. Really worried by his form.

It's only a few games though.

Looks like, as when he signed in Jan, that he's the type of player that needs games under his belt to get up to speed.

August 13, 2017, 03:25:48 AM
Reply #23

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Think people are really under estimating DCL second half performance at centre forward against two very good and powerfully centrebacks.

He caused them a lot of problems and was up for the fight all the way through and with a bit more composure he could maybe of got on the score sheet.

He's no wide player though and today really needs to be the end of that nonsense.

DCL is looking very good for sure, but only in the centre forward position, although his cross for Rooney was sweet. He has a ton of pace as well which we've been crying out for. I'm not certain we're all that pedestrian as some make out.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

August 13, 2017, 03:31:20 AM
Reply #24

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
DCL is looking very good for sure, but only in the centre forward position, although his cross for Rooney was sweet. He has a ton of pace as well which we've been crying out for. I'm not certain we're all that pedestrian as some make out.

If passing/movement is slow then it makes everything stodgy.

Apart from occasions that are pretty rare where you need someone to just leg it, the speed of the ball is what makes the biggest difference.

That'll improve with cohesion.

August 13, 2017, 03:32:44 AM
Reply #25

arteta4spain

Got a feeling about dcl and that he'll blossom into a really good player. With Rooney for suppport and mentoring he could be become really effective.

August 13, 2017, 03:33:04 AM
Reply #26

Ari

Pickford, Rooney, Gueye... 8
others less. I was a bit dissapointed with Baines and Schneiderlin but they will come through as will Klaassen and Sandro. 

August 13, 2017, 04:20:29 AM
Reply #27

Bluedylan

Schneiderlin improved markedly with a back 4, I thought. He likes to drop in between the two CBs at times, but looked a bit lost positionally with 3 CBs.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

August 13, 2017, 04:39:44 AM
Reply #28

Rhys

Wouldn't really want to rate players based on the first half performance because the shape, positions of some of the players was part of a horrendous decision by koeman. If you are going to play a system you can't just throw people in you have to play the players who will play the system best. Holgate is the best right centre back of a 3 we have, and someone like Davies would have been better as a right wing back even martina as average as he is at least the shape would have been better.

Keane and jags looked good together in that second half, I do think jags is still of a good level and better than Williams. Nice to have a centre half in Keane who wins a lot of headers.

Gueye was very good second half. Schenierdlin got better as the game went on.

Rooney was the best player on the pitch second half, controlled the game did what we needed at the right times.

Pickford was really good. Very confident in his decisions, backed himself and got them right today.

August 13, 2017, 04:41:46 AM
Reply #29

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Schneiderlin improved markedly with a back 4, I thought. He likes to drop in between the two CBs at times, but looked a bit lost positionally with 3 CBs.

Good point that.

He seemed very reluctant to move the ball forward which is very rare.