Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 78788 times)

October 27, 2017, 01:04:29 AM
Reply #480

boothill

Anyone else not really excited by the thought of any of the candidates?

I'm probably more excited by Unsworth and that is mostly me thinking with my heart not my head
If it doesnt work out with unsy, i would like the bloke at watford, he's learning his trade and getting experience there

deCoubertin

October 27, 2017, 01:12:59 AM
Reply #481

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Ram, 1 cup with probably the 2nd biggest club in germany ?

Mainz are a tiny club compared to us, getting them into Europe was a very good achievement.

October 27, 2017, 01:14:48 AM
Reply #482

velimski

15/16 season at Dortmund......2nd in the league, runners up in the German cup and quarter finalist in the Europa league.
16/17 season at Dortmund......3rd in the league, won the German cup and quarter finalist in the Champions league.

I think he has some idea of what he's doing.

October 27, 2017, 01:19:54 AM
Reply #483

gizzblue

Let's not replace Unsy till he's proved he's not the right man for the job ...which I honestly doubt he will 😅..what foreign import or Burnley /Watford exile could be better than a man who knows every bit of the club .

In Rhino we trust .

October 27, 2017, 01:21:13 AM
Reply #484

hill135

Heís clearly a good manager. People are just questioning whether his Dortmund record is par for the course.

I donít know the answer but I watched them a fair bit and their play was very aggressive and exciting but they leaked goals like it was going out of fashion.

October 27, 2017, 01:22:21 AM
Reply #485

boothill

15/16 season at Dortmund......2nd in the league, runners up in the German cup and quarter finalist in the Europa league.
16/17 season at Dortmund......3rd in the league, won the German cup and quarter finalist in the Champions league.

I think he has some idea of what he's doing.
Of course he does, but in germany, its a hell of a lot harder to achieve over here, didnt klopp win the league with them and get into several finals ? Done nothing here though

October 27, 2017, 01:24:16 AM
Reply #486

boothill

He's clearly a good manager. People are just questioning whether his Dortmund record is par for the course.

I don't know the answer but I watched them a fair bit and their play was very aggressive and exciting but they leaked goals like it was going out of fashion.
Remind you of a team not that far from us ?

October 27, 2017, 01:29:31 AM
Reply #487

Topper

I think its because our game has went so 'continental' with so many foreign players brought in from the 90's on  we have very few top British managers and it's is probably down to the fact they are not being given a chance at clubs too.  Ferguson was the last really successful manager but he had been there since the mid 80's and was given a chance.  I just have to look at the current English manager and think if he is the top man for the job it just shows how poor the choices are as I wouldn't have him anywhere near Everton never mind attemping to win a national trophy.

Kenwright was saying that all our successful manager have been ex blues and I totally get that but times have massively changed.  Thats like saying all our top players/goal scorers/ record buys have all been British players but that hasnt been the case for a long time.  Im not saying we must have a foreign coach I just think that British coaches aren't getting the chances they deserve but is that for a reason.  Yes they cant all be bad but not one English manager has won the Premiership and with the current top teams and their managers I cant see that trend changing for a long time.

Many saw Giggs being 'groomed' for the United job serving along with Moyes and van Gaal but they opted for the bigger name to try and bring them success, a bit like Guardiola and Conte.  In a way I would rather Unsy cut his teeth at a lower division club and got into proper first team action, a bit like Scholes was talked about going to Oldham to do.  I just think in the situation we are in it might be a bit too big for Unsy with just a couple of seasons of the under 23's under his belt.  Im not saying he wont do it for us in the future I would just like him to be our number 2 for a few seasons to gain a bit of experience around the first team and then perhaps move into the top job.

I don't want to sound defeatist but at the beginning it is usually good as its fresh, its a change and the players react however after a couple of months it does tend to become stale.  Im just a bit worried in the difference of playing young players who want to play and progress in the reserves to the first team than big name pros earning big dosh who may have an attitude problem. I just am afraid that we give Unsy the job and realise in a few months it is too big for him and come the end of the season we are in a situaution where disgruntled fans are calling for him to get the chop.

Say in Jan we are willing to spend 30/40 million to get a striker,  with the greatest of respect would a top striker looking at our present situation and Unsy as manager look at us and think there is a team going forward or if we had the likes of an Ancelotti/Tuchel/Silva (even Benizez) Im sure its a different scenario as they would see us as ambitious and a club moving in the right direction.

I just hope we make the right choice

October 27, 2017, 01:39:02 AM
Reply #488

Bluedylan

Remind you of a team not that far from us ?

Much as he's a crowd pleasing, attention seeking bellend, I'd take getting in the Champions League and two cup finals myself like.

Don't you just want the best, most qualified man for the job? Surely that's the only thing that matters. How we decide what that is, is a matter of opinion obviously but domestic managers just haven't been good enough and the few times that they've been given chances at larger clubs they've failed fairly spectacularly in recent years. If they were good enough, the big clubs would be hiring them.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 27, 2017, 01:44:18 AM
Reply #489

van der Meyde

In a way I would rather Unsy cut his teeth at a lower division club and got into proper first team action, a bit like Scholes was talked about going to Oldham to do.

Im just a bit worried in the difference of playing young players who want to play and progress in the reserves to the first team than big name pros earning big dosh who may have an attitude problem.
I think that last bit explains pretty well why experience at a lower level wouldn't be worth that much personally.

October 27, 2017, 01:47:49 AM
Reply #490

Macca77

SSN say Paul Clement has ruled himself out, was he ever on the list? Or is it the Ancelotti link he means

October 27, 2017, 01:59:28 AM
Reply #491

Ridge

Dont get me wrong I dont want Giggs or Neville either, I was just trying to emphasise there is little difference between the 3 of them. If anything though Giggs has more experience than Unsworth having been Man U managers for 4 games and assistant manager under Van Gaal for ages, hes also knows what it takes to be the best.
Unsworths record with the U23s is good but hes also had previous goes at being manager, albeit temporary at Preston twice and never got offered the job on either occasion despite having been coaching there you a number of years!?

Neither had the management experience Unsworth has now. Over last 3 years, Unsworth has managed under 23s and won trophies, Neville and Giggs were pundits, owners and did nothing in a managerial position, just coaching.

Giggs had a total of 4 games in management, struggled with pressure and became assistant manager, then talked himself out of the Swansea job.

Neville took over Valencia and was giving Koeman's record a run for his money. But he came through English coaching as far as I'm aware, he was doing punditry, working on his club project, tv show, coaching for national team.

Neither were actually managing a team and when it came to doing that, they failed miserably and given development route it's not surprising.

While I can list lots of successful promotions of youth managers across europe, hard to think of ones that have gone from long term assistant manager to manager and been success.

I'm not saying assistant manager is bad experience, but it's no place to dwell for an aspiring manager, you're out the game, don't have the authority, responsibility or risk. People like Shakespeare that people like to reference had 9 years experience as assistant manager. I think they can tweak some things at start, but then they no longer have much of a plan to improve or develop beyond that.

The most popular choice on the list Tuchel, came through after several years as youth manager at Ausgburg and Mainz and has just left Dortmund after 2 years, due to disputes with board.

October 27, 2017, 01:59:50 AM
Reply #492

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I'd take getting in the Champions League and two cup finals myself like.

David Moyes here we come.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 27, 2017, 02:51:48 AM
Reply #493

bluenuck

Much as he's a crowd pleasing, attention seeking bellend, I'd take getting in the Champions League and two cup finals myself like.

Leaking goals and not caring about it isn't exactly the most sustainable way to continuously achieve this though. They will struggle to get top 4 this season, and are most likely not going to win anything or get even close.

October 27, 2017, 03:42:19 AM
Reply #494

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Had a few quid on Allardyce at 12s

Simply simply lovely