August 23, 2017, 05:00:10 PM

Author Topic: The sad thing about the premier league is...  (Read 792 times)

July 07, 2017, 05:18:39 PM
Read 792 times

formerKHL

you don't win it nowadays....

you buy it....

July 07, 2017, 05:27:14 PM
Reply #1

velimski

Liverpool being the obvious exception.

July 07, 2017, 05:27:36 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
you don't win it nowadays....

you buy it....

People accused us of buying the title in 1963.

July 07, 2017, 05:30:44 PM
Reply #3

Cereal Killer

Now gather round young ones and let me regale you with the tale of 2015/2016, the only time ever in the history of Premier League the title wasn't bought....

Plucky Leicester were the heros of the year.....

July 07, 2017, 05:31:21 PM
Reply #4

van der Meyde

Money's always been one of the biggest determinants of who wins in almost every sport. Those who have the most money can pay the best wages and get the best players, coaches and managers.

There's just a lot more inequality across clubs now.

July 07, 2017, 05:35:37 PM
Reply #5

Ross

Leicester must have had a gift voucher.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 07, 2017, 05:35:57 PM
Reply #6

formerKHL

People accused us of buying the title in 1963.

cant remember those days..and i'm sure we were accused of the same in the 70's & 80's when we won it.....

however, in them days you paid a fair price for a player to build a team.....

nowadays you pay a premium to buy success....ask all the managers who have been sacked because of it..

July 07, 2017, 05:36:27 PM
Reply #7

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Leicester must have had a gift voucher.

They did.

We have taken it off them in the hope it is good for a second visit

July 07, 2017, 05:36:56 PM
Reply #8

phillyt

With a very few notable exceptions the winners of the league have generally been among the biggest spenders. It's just nowadays the gap between the title contenders and the rest in terms of budget is huge. In times gone by it was probably not a huge risk to double your transfer spending and have a good crack at the league. Now though unless you find yourself in our position it's just not happening. I would say in the last few years though it hasn't just been about the money within that elite group. So with us joining the financial big boys and widening the group to 7 in the next few years the playing field is starting to level out a bit.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

July 07, 2017, 05:37:42 PM
Reply #9

formerKHL

Now gather round young ones and let me regale you with the tale of 2015/2016, the only time ever in the history of Premier League the title wasn't bought....

Plucky Leicester were the heros of the year.....

totally agree ....once in nearly 30 years though.....who won it all the other times ?

July 07, 2017, 05:42:16 PM
Reply #10

Major Clanger

Money's always been one of the biggest determinants of who wins in almost every sport. Those who have the most money can pay the best wages and get the best players, coaches and managers.

There's just a lot more inequality across clubs now.

And the Premier League is still one of the least unequal leagues in Europe.

Large leagues are let down by their TV deals, smaller ones by the increased CL money.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

July 07, 2017, 05:47:40 PM
Reply #11

van der Meyde

And the Premier League is still one of the least unequal leagues in Europe.

Large leagues are let down by their TV deals, smaller ones by the increased CL money.
It's remarkable that, despite persistent objections from Liverpool and United, the TV money is still shared equitably.

July 07, 2017, 06:23:45 PM
Reply #12

Cereal Killer

totally agree ....once in nearly 30 years though.....who won it all the other times ?

Chequebook FC?

July 07, 2017, 07:14:37 PM
Reply #13

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
cant remember those days..and i'm sure we were accused of the same in the 70's & 80's when we won it.....

however, in them days you paid a fair price for a player to build a team.....

nowadays you pay a premium to buy success....ask all the managers who have been sacked because of it..
I was just beginning my love affair with Everton then and, yes, we were the Chelsea or Man City of the day through John Moores.  Money was no object and we set the 'highest price paid for' record a few times.
What I would say though, is that as the leagues then were mostly British or Irish players the money gave clubs like Everton a big advantage but not the dominance you see today where money buys the best in the world. In addition football was still moving on from the maximum wage era and there was much more loyalty to home town clubs as people just didn't move around the country, let alone the world, as they do now.
It meant there was always 'a Leicester' in the shadows whereas now I don't expect it to happen again in my lifetime unless the TV market stalls. Viewing figures are noticeably down in the UK but balanced out by markets abroad but if the mega bucks in China and the growing popularity in the US continues, plus other emerging  countries then the PL could lose its place. Bad in some ways but could open up the way for clubs excluded now.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

July 07, 2017, 09:53:55 PM
Reply #14

bacon sarnie

I was just beginning my love affair with Everton then and, yes, we were the Chelsea or Man City of the day through John Moores.  Money was no object and we set the 'highest price paid for' record a few times.
What I would say though, is that as the leagues then were mostly British or Irish players the money gave clubs like Everton a big advantage but not the dominance you see today where money buys the best in the world. In addition football was still moving on from the maximum wage era

there was much more loyalty to home town clubs as people just didn't move around the country, let alone the world, as they do now.
It meant there was always 'a Leicester' in the shadows whereas now I don't expect it to happen again in my lifetime unless the TV market stalls. Viewing figures are noticeably down in the UK but balanced out by markets abroad but if the mega bucks in China and the growing popularity in the US continues, plus other emerging  countries then the PL could lose its place. Bad in some ways but could open up the way for clubs excluded now.

Aye, return of the Merseyside Millionaires?