November 20, 2017, 06:17:05 AM

Author Topic: Urban Goals  (Read 424 times)

September 12, 2017, 11:14:39 PM
Read 424 times

Ridge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/e046758f-5e89-47e4-be1b-3bc48d764d00

Michael Kirkham has traveled up and down the country taking pictures of goal posts in housing estates, roads and fields.

This is the kind of art I think everyone on here might appreciate. There's more pictures and accompanying stories in the BBC link

Quote from: BBC
These photos of goalposts from around the UK are beautiful

Michael Kirkham, 39, a former roofer and photographer, has spent the last couple of years travelling around the UK, taking photos of goalposts.

All of the goalposts he photographed are different, but they evoke a strong feeling from childhood. They also tell a story about the change of Britain's urban areas.

When you look at the project as a whole, you start to see a pattern of life around the whole UK, he tells me, enjoying a pint in a local Liverpool pub.

Michael's project is called Urban Goals and the pun isnt accidental.

Some of the goals Ive shot are 30 years old. Some are older. That makes me think about the generations of kids that have grown up playing there and how their life goals might have changed over that time.

We think they look great anyway and, to be honest, we can't wait to get out and have a game of 'heads and volleys'

"This goal is the inspiration behind the project. Its onJermyn Street, in Granby. I used to go see a mate of mine down the road from there. Id see it every other day. I got thinking about it and Id already taken a couple of pictures of it over the years, but then I started to think about this premise of urban goals."

September 12, 2017, 11:23:35 PM
Reply #1

Ridge

Here's his website, twitter if you want to look at some more.

https://twitter.com/UrbanGoals

http://www.michaelkirkhamphotography.co.uk/

September 12, 2017, 11:28:10 PM
Reply #2

Marky Mark and the funky

Growing up between about 8-18 we lived in a narrow lane that would only just fit a car going either way. We would play two vs two with some lads up the road.

The 'goalposts' would be the nearest wall and the tyre of a parked car. How the feck we never damaged anyone's car I don't know!

September 13, 2017, 01:48:18 AM
Reply #3

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
We used to do the cricket wickets all the time. Then we wet the tennis ball before we bowled so there was no doubt if you got bowled or not.

Geez i miss those days.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

September 13, 2017, 01:58:47 AM
Reply #4

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
We used to do the cricket wickets all the time. Then we wet the tennis ball before we bowled so there was no doubt if you got bowled or not.

Geez i miss those days.

Hahahaha you've just taken me back to my school days. We had a wicket painted on the side of the barn. Wet tennis balls too
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 13, 2017, 03:24:24 AM
Reply #5

The Analog Kid

The length of that goal on the gravel pitch in Birmingham!! 😂

I remember one that was painted on the railway arches of the bridge next to the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge, it was on the Widnes side and had "Eddie's Net" written on it! It was there years.

September 13, 2017, 09:05:30 AM
Reply #6

bacon sarnie

Not a jumper in sight!

September 13, 2017, 04:19:41 PM
Reply #7

Deano Blue Boy

There is a boss one behind my work here in Dingle/Toxteth. The echo done a article on this a while and showed it. I'll try and find it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:23:01 PM by Deano Blue Boy »