December 15, 2017, 11:52:41 PM

Author Topic: Baines deal as good as done  (Read 37544 times)

June 08, 2013, 08:38:47 PM
Reply #60

griff969

Man City and Liverpool are mugs in the transfer market though.  The 'if x is worth this then y must be worth this' theory isn't a solid one

Agreed, so then we need to drag out the process and get a bidding war then with clubs who will pay the proper value. I cannot see other CL clubs not being interested in Baines, if he wants to go.  

Of course he is worth what we are prepared to accept, but like any purchase he will have a market value. You say strikers guarantee you loads of goals, but if you have quality forwards to convert then so does Baines with his assists. He is almost unique for a defender in that respect.

Kenwright can rightly get blamed for many things, but rarely does he let a player go for less than he is worth. In my opinion any figure less than 25 million is too low.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:39:13 PM by griff969 »
Evertonian ever since Andy King smashed the ball past Ray Clemence

June 08, 2013, 08:41:33 PM
Reply #61

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Man City and Liverpool are mugs in the transfer market though.  The 'if x is worth this then y must be worth this' theory isn't a solid one

Agreed, so then we need to drag out the process and get a bidding war then with clubs who will pay the proper value. I cannot see other CL clubs not being interested in Baines, if he wants to go. 

Of course he is worth what we are prepared to accept, but like any purchase he will have a market value. You say strikers guarantee you loads of goals, but if you have quality forwards to convert then so does Baines with his assists. He is almost unique for a defender in that respect.

Kenwright can rightly get blamed for many things, but rarely does he let a player go for less than he is worth. In my opinion any figure less than £25 million is too low.

What are the highest fees for a full back?

Baines is 28 I can't see anyone offering north of £20m, if that.

June 08, 2013, 08:49:59 PM
Reply #62

phillyt

Not disputing what you were told mate; just can't see it being true!

Would Jags and Baines care about 5-10 more England caps in comparison to winning some medals, or at least the chance to win some and play in the CL?

Or if they do you'd have to question their ambition.

As I said; I'm not doubting you I'd just be very surprised if it were true.

The way I see it is showing loyalty to Everton. Not a lack of ambition, I suspect they also feel as many do that we are not too far off getting into the CL and are prepared to give martinez a chance. I have little doubt that should we be struggling come Christmas they would possibly start letting ambition overtake loyalty. But in a world cup year its fair to say both jags and baines careers are in a good place. That is why they want o stay.   The guy who told me isn't known for beingva blagger or wind up so in my mind at least those two are staying. The only reason I bought it up was to counter the original posters assertion that it was a done deal.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

June 08, 2013, 08:50:41 PM
Reply #63

Gash

Global Moderator
I can't see Baines being worth much more than about £15m, great player though he is?

June 08, 2013, 08:56:33 PM
Reply #64

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The way I see it is showing loyalty to Everton. Not a lack of ambition, I suspect they also feel as many do that we are not too far off getting into the CL and are prepared to give martinez a chance. I have little doubt that should we be struggling come Christmas they would possibly start letting ambition overtake loyalty. But in a world cup year its fair to say both jags and baines careers are in a good place. That is why they want o stay.   The guy who told me isn't known for beingva blagger or wind up so in my mind at least those two are staying. The only reason I bought it up was to counter the original posters assertion that it was a done deal.

Fair enough!

I'd just think that they'd think that for all being close like last season we finished 10 points off 4th.

If they weren't 28 & 30 then yeah I could see them thinking they'd see how it panned out with us.

Anyway; I don't know why I'm arguing this as I hope you're right, haha!

June 08, 2013, 08:59:29 PM
Reply #65

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I can't see Baines being worth much more than about £15m, great player though he is?

It's a fine balance.

Above that we'd have done well (even if it would seem disappointing) below that and it starts to edge towards not being worth it.

June 08, 2013, 09:03:22 PM
Reply #66

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
What are the highest fees for a full back?

Baines is 28 I can't see anyone offering north of £20m, if that.
If you believe these figures there are some expensive fullbacks  Most are CB but even seeing what some clubs have paid for full backs I agree with you that we won't get an offer north of 20m GBP  http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2012/07/15/2562976/thiago-silva-the-top-10-most-expensive-defenders-of-all-time

June 08, 2013, 09:04:03 PM
Reply #67

Gash

Global Moderator
It's a fine balance.

Above that we'd have done well (even if it would seem disappointing) below that and it starts to edge towards not being worth it.

Yeah, I think that's right.

He can't really be compared to the fee Utd paid for RVP, Man City were after him as well, which puts the price up straight away and whoever got him knew they were taking a massive step in the title chase, even before a ball had been kicked. Strikers are generally worth more than defenders and one of the top strikers in the world is always going to be worth more than one of the top left backs in the world.

June 08, 2013, 09:34:17 PM
Reply #68

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Referring to yourself as an ITK is a bad bellend move.

June 08, 2013, 09:52:55 PM
Reply #69

griff969

I am sure I saw that the only full back in Europe with a higher assist figure in the last 5 years than Baines was Dani Alves.

In a team with more possession that Everton he will no doubt be even more productive. The quality Baines has going forward is not matched in the Premiership that is for sure, and at 28 he still has 5 or six years at the top left in him.

Baines gives you something that other full back simply do not, and therefore his value should be significantly higher.
Evertonian ever since Andy King smashed the ball past Ray Clemence

June 08, 2013, 10:08:57 PM
Reply #70

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
While Baines for me is quite possibly the best left back in the world, it is quite hard for us to realistically demand something like 30m for him. He has limited resale value given his age

Transfermarkt have him at 19.5m which seems about fair
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

June 08, 2013, 10:20:37 PM
Reply #71

Amata

I personally think Man U will go for Luke Shaw and get 1-2 more years out of Evra. But if i'm wrong and they move for Baines, as much as I don't want to lose him, if he were to go for 17+mill i'd like to see us go all out for Shaw who is going to be a superb LB in the future but would also do a very good job right away.
All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind

June 08, 2013, 11:09:05 PM
Reply #72

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
This the same done deal Jimmy announced this time last year?

Soon as I hear the phrase "Im hearing" I know its bullshit

June 08, 2013, 11:24:01 PM
Reply #73

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I personally think Man U will go for Luke Shaw and get 1-2 more years out of Evra. But if i'm wrong and they move for Baines, as much as I don't want to lose him, if he were to go for £17+mill i'd like to see us go all out for Shaw who is going to be a superb LB in the future but would also do a very good job right away.

Yes I have thought that they'd like to keep Evra for a bit longer and then go for a younger player than Baines.

If Evra wants to leave now though that could force their hand a bit.

June 08, 2013, 11:40:53 PM
Reply #74

Danny

I personally think Man U will go for Luke Shaw and get 1-2 more years out of Evra. But if i'm wrong and they move for Baines, as much as I don't want to lose him, if he were to go for 17+mill i'd like to see us go all out for Shaw who is going to be a superb LB in the future but would also do a very good job right away.

Think Shaw would be out of our price range, can you see us spending 10+ million on him?