December 11, 2018, 07:19:36 PM

Author Topic: No More Mister Nice Guy.  (Read 3558 times)

September 21, 2010, 12:41:09 AM
Reply #15

cad

For me, he still has this 'It's more important not to lose than win' attitude.

He has a very good squad of players, but - on the face of it - no tactical clue as to how to get the best from them. It almost seems 'accidental' when we enjoy periods of free-flowing play.

The home line-ups, against touted relegation candidates, notwithstanding our supposed striker shortages, have been blindingly negative.

Once a defender...
veni veni veni

Don't worry yourself into an early grave...it will happen soon enough.

September 21, 2010, 12:43:41 AM
Reply #16

goldenghost

"So I have to be the one who has to change my outlook in what I expect from them from now on."

No Moyes, you should still be expecting to win you gonk, you just need to put the right players in the right positions instead

Your expectations don't need to change, your tactics and approach to football matches needs to

Completely right.
Cocktails anyone?

September 21, 2010, 12:53:15 AM
Reply #17

dunkster

anyone else worried that he might revert to a standard 4 man defence with hibbert as right back and play both Neville and Heitinga as defensive midfielders. Leaving a midfield trio of Pienaar, arteta and fellaini with just a solitary striker upfront?
i fear moyes would rather concentrate on us not conceding goals rather than concentrating on us scoring at the other end.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

September 21, 2010, 01:01:15 AM
Reply #18

charlatan

anyone else worried that he might revert to a standard 4 man defence with hibbert as right back and play both Neville and Heitinga as defensive midfielders. Leaving a midfield trio of Pienaar, arteta and fellaini with just a solitary striker upfront?
i fear moyes would rather concentrate on us not conceding goals rather than concentrating on us scoring at the other end.

More likely than him playing 2 strikers :headbang:

September 21, 2010, 01:14:27 AM
Reply #19

ally2

Billy can shoot.  What was he doing Saturday? (I didn't see it).  Also, I never really was a Cahill fan but we do miss him.

The problem for me is we can't make the transition in style.  Or Moyes can't make the transition.  Is it long or is it pretty?  If its pretty then we are SO fragile in confidence.  Maybe that's what Moyes was alluding to in his comments today.  But Moyes must be the one to lead.  He mustn't revert to hoofing and sticking with the same old players.  He must be bold and have strength of conviction.  If that means going through a rough patch until the players finally REALLY believe they are good enough then so be it.  We'll suffer in the mean time but it'll be worth it in the end.

I think it explains alot - inability of Billy and Coleman to break through, our almost dependence on players like Cahill and Neville when we're not playing well (but dismissal of them when we are), Osman outwide etc.

September 21, 2010, 03:13:57 PM
Reply #20

Tony Clifton

Ooh, fighting talk, on the back of one of the worst performances in recent history, and on the eve of a cup tie to Brentford...
you know he's going to take it out on Heitinga...   

"So I have to be the one who has to change my outlook in what I expect from them from now on."

No Moyes, you should still be expecting to win you gonk, you just need to put the right players in the right positions instead

Your expectations don't need to change, your tactics and approach to football matches needs to

nod  Yet another strange comment. This is up there with his Coleman gibberish from a few weeks back.

September 21, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Reply #21

Mikel10

I guess he's going back to bypassing the midfield even more with a hoof from the back at every opportunity and to play percentage football, even more?

Great.

September 21, 2010, 06:46:54 PM
Reply #22

Jamokachi

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, eh?

September 21, 2010, 07:27:46 PM
Reply #23

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I guess he's going back to bypassing the midfield even more with a hoof from the back at every opportunity and to play percentage football, even more?

Great.

I don't see that at all.

As Baines said in the echo yesterday we tried both methods of play and neither worked at all.

The problem was the lack of running when defending, trying to get the ball back etc etc.

I think the change is going to be from telling them how good they are, to telling them to run otherwise they'll be out of the team.

September 21, 2010, 07:58:43 PM
Reply #24

Jamokachi

He expects them to perform. They haven't been (in the main). Now I would presume he expects them to put a shift in, and grind out some results. That's what I'm taking from this anyway.

People wanted him to come out, take some responsibility and show he was going to try and make things right. He's done that, and people are putting the boot in already, "Oh, he's going to play hoofball". How about we wait and see how he and the team reacts?

September 21, 2010, 08:28:16 PM
Reply #25

Jamokachi

He's right to blame the players. Just as we're right to blame him and the players.

It's how he and the players react that's important now.

September 21, 2010, 09:17:25 PM
Reply #26

Mikel10

I don't see that at all.

As Baines said in the echo yesterday we tried both methods of play and neither worked at all.

The problem was the lack of running when defending, trying to get the ball back etc etc.

I think the change is going to be from telling them how good they are, to telling them to run otherwise they'll be out of the team.

Well we lack movement to be honest and that cutting edge. It's hard to see where it will come from with the current set of players because none of them are producing it.

September 21, 2010, 10:58:50 PM
Reply #27

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Well we lack movement to be honest and that cutting edge. It's hard to see where it will come from with the current set of players because none of them are producing it.

No they're not at present, but none of them are suited to long ball, and I mean real long ball, tactics. Our players are now suited to keeping the ball which is why our play has evolved towards that rather than Moyes watching Barca and having an epiphany moment.

The movement both off and on the ball was severly lacking on Saturday, that's true but I think one of the ways that we can create more space is by working harder to win the ball back.

If you disposses the opposition when they are committed to an attack there is a lot more space then when you are starting with a goal kick and 11 men in your way.

We failed to do this against Newcastle, that's why I think there will be an emphasis on the uglier side of the game for a few weeks at least. That doesn't mean that we're going to have to hoof it though.