November 25, 2017, 04:35:53 AM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 11888 times)

November 14, 2017, 07:02:44 AM
Reply #15

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Which is where Silva has had success.
But heís had zero success in the prem thus far.

There doesnít seem to be much available right now. Once again timing sucks.

Just imagine if weíd had this investment 10 years ago when we had the core of a good side. Now we have money neither quality players or managers are available.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

deCoubertin

November 14, 2017, 08:07:36 AM
Reply #16

Jamokachi

But heís had zero success in the prem thus far.

Both Hull and Watford saw/have seen improvement under his stewardship.

November 14, 2017, 08:34:22 AM
Reply #17

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Thatís hardly success. Plus Hull went down.

November 14, 2017, 08:48:38 AM
Reply #18

Shogun

Administrator
I guess it depends what you want out of Everton.

If you're not arsed about trophies or hitting the next level and just want to see Everton win at Goodison a good few times a season with the odd win over a big side then fine, go ahead and get your Allardyces and Dyche characters because that's their ceiling.

If you want an Everton that can do the above then you need to look at innovative managers. You need to look at managers who bring something different to the rest. You need to take a risk on a Marco Silva type of character because if he is the real deal, then it'll be too late if we don't act now.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 14, 2017, 08:55:48 AM
Reply #19

Shogun

Administrator

Very black and white approach.

If the league table started from when he took over then they'd have finished 14th and that was with selling their best player at the time in Snodgrass and having the weakest squad in the league for numbers.

I'm not sure why people are calling him flavour of the month, that's ironically Sean Dyche who has done nothing of interest prior to the start of this season.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 14, 2017, 09:51:59 AM
Reply #20

Ridge

Has only been in the PL 10 months, 2 clubs and I rate him highly, but relegation by 6 points at Hull showed that the magic wore off. And while he was able to build a team at Watford this summer and has had a great start, would inheriting a team in trouble again, be a great idea, given the Hull scenario? We don't know if Watford are going to maintain the start they've made.

He's called mini Mourinho because he did his football badges at the same place. Since Mourinho did his badges at Largs in Scotland, multiple aspiring Portuguese coaches have gone there and had impressive results when taking reigns in Portuguese football. For many in Portugal, these managers are seen as 'one of the bottle' to borrow a Mourinho phrase, but as if they have come off a production line. But it's also a bit of a back handed compliment, in that they've all tended to achieve more than those who have done badges in Portugal or elsewhere.

November 14, 2017, 10:43:12 AM
Reply #21

Jamokachi

I thought he did very well in nearly saving Hull, their home form was excellent. The damage was well and truly done before he got there.

As for Watford, they're looking decent, and you can't really point a lack of achievement at him when he's only had 11 league games.

this is a man who's burgeoning reputation is base on success he's had abroad. That shouldn't be dismissed because of the tough tasks he's been handed in the PL. 

November 14, 2017, 12:38:48 PM
Reply #22

GrantyBoy78

If you're not arsed about trophies or hitting the next level and just want to see Everton win at Goodison a good few times a season with the odd win over a big side then fine, go ahead and get your Allardyces and Dyche characters because that's their ceiling.

If you want an Everton that can do the above then you need to look at innovative managers. You need to look at managers who bring something different to the rest. You need to take a risk on a Marco Silva type of character because if he is the real deal, then it'll be too late if we don't act now.
Mourinho says Ďhií

November 14, 2017, 12:42:40 PM
Reply #23

GrantyBoy78

Has only been in the PL 10 months, 2 clubs and I rate him highly, but relegation by 6 points at Hull showed that the magic wore off. And while he was able to build a team at Watford this summer and has had a great start, would inheriting a team in trouble again, be a great idea, given the Hull scenario? We don't know if Watford are going to maintain the start they've made.

He's called mini Mourinho because he did his football badges at the same place. Since Mourinho did his badges at Largs in Scotland, multiple aspiring Portuguese coaches have gone there and had impressive results when taking reigns in Portuguese football. For many in Portugal, these managers are seen as 'one of the bottle' to borrow a Mourinho phrase, but as if they have come off a production line. But it's also a bit of a back handed compliment, in that they've all tended to achieve more than those who have done badges in Portugal or elsewhere.
Mourinho is a pragmatist, Silva isnít, thatís what worries me.

November 14, 2017, 12:48:42 PM
Reply #24

GrantyBoy78

If you listen to Dyche in his interviews, he does send his teams out to win every game. He never used excuses about resources or injuries.

The way Burnley scored a beautiful goal then held us at armís length for the rest of the game (IMO) shows heís a better candidate than Silva, whoís teams have capitulated on their showings at Goodison.

November 14, 2017, 01:33:53 PM
Reply #25

Bluedylan

Mourinho is a pragmatist, Silva isnít, thatís what worries me.

Then again, you sound permenantly worried about something.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 14, 2017, 01:38:03 PM
Reply #26

GrantyBoy78

Then again, you sound permenantly worried about something.
***insert prophetic wisdom here***

November 14, 2017, 01:49:06 PM
Reply #27

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Very black and white approach.

If the league table started from when he took over then they'd have finished 14th and that was with selling their best player at the time in Snodgrass and having the weakest squad in the league for numbers.

I'm not sure why people are calling him flavour of the month, that's ironically Sean Dyche who has done nothing of interest prior to the start of this season.
I have no desire for Sean Dyche either.

But you canít say if this or that you can only go on facts. Hull went down and weíre way off the mark when they did. Iím concerned he is another Martinez. Itís a big risk.

November 14, 2017, 01:53:42 PM
Reply #28

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I thought he did very well in nearly saving Hull, their home form was excellent. The damage was well and truly done before he got there.

As for Watford, they're looking decent, and you can't really point a lack of achievement at him when he's only had 11 league games.

this is a man who's burgeoning reputation is base on success he's had abroad. That shouldn't be dismissed because of the tough tasks he's been handed in the PL.
6 points off safety wasn't it? He had half a season to turn it around and am not saying he was against it with that side but we recently had a manager who did a similar thing.

As for wat ford they started pretty well last season too (or was it the season before?) and still ended up mid to low table.

He may well do well with us but there's nothing to say he will be a success with us.

In fact I would argue Koeman has been more successful than Silva and look how that turned out.

The choice of manager linked with us right now is very underwhelming.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:05:59 PM by blargins »

November 14, 2017, 01:56:23 PM
Reply #29

GrantyBoy78

Can someone tell me how Silva plays his brand of pressure absorbing, quick, counter-attacking football with this squad?