August 20, 2018, 03:30:09 PM

Author Topic: [News]What is Ross Barkley for?  (Read 29095 times)

May 12, 2017, 04:11:02 AM
Reply #480

Toddacelli

I know we like to laugh at Newcastle. But they have the money and the fanbase to stay up and return to the top 10. Likely they will replace West Ham and Southampton as the team we plan on fending off.

Barkley to Newcastle isn't a terrible shout.

You're right. It isn't.

What's worse than 'terrible'?     

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 12, 2017, 04:11:45 AM
Reply #481

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
haha. OK, seems like i'm out of touch with the times on this one.

May 12, 2017, 04:12:54 AM
Reply #482

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The fuckers signed Patrick Kluivert and broke my heart.

Expect them to be waiving massive wages under the noses of the likes of Barkley.

That was over 10 years ago!

May 12, 2017, 04:19:48 AM
Reply #483

Toddacelli

I know we like to laugh at Newcastle. But they have the money and the fanbase to stay up and return to the top 10. Likely they will replace West Ham and Southampton as the team we plan on fending off.

Barkley to Newcastle isn't a terrible shout.

I agree with the first statement to some extent, but Barkley to Newcastle can only be viewed as a backwards move in almost any way (except for financially, if they offer him loads more than we do).

I know what your line of thinking is, but the fact is at the moment that Newcastle are a 'newly-promoted yo-yo side who have won next to fuck-all their entire history'. If Barkley is to leave us at this age and stage of his career, it would have to be for CL football, or a realistic shot at the title, or something we couldn't provide him at this stage.

I don;t know how we'll do next season but I'd really like to think we'll have more to offer than Newcastle, same as the Oldcastle - going back down again in 3-6 years.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 12, 2017, 04:39:34 AM
Reply #484

Macca77

There is no reason on earth why Barkley would leave us to go to Newcastle, he wants champions league quality teams, not championship

May 12, 2017, 05:40:29 AM
Reply #485

van der Meyde

How much do you all think we'd get for him given he's in the final year of his contract?

The market's mad but even 15m would probably be pushing it, I reckon.

May 12, 2017, 06:21:16 AM
Reply #486

Evertonian in NC

"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 12, 2017, 08:16:41 AM
Reply #487

Shogun

Administrator
How much do you all think we'd get for him given he's in the final year of his contract?

The market's mad but even 15m would probably be pushing it, I reckon.

This is where Koeman hasn't learned his lesson from the Niasse saga.

If you tell the whole world "Sign or be sold" then you're not going to get best value for him when clubs already know your intent.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

May 12, 2017, 10:41:38 AM
Reply #488

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
This is where Koeman hasn't learned his lesson from the Niasse saga.

If you tell the whole world "Sign or be sold" then you're not going to get best value for him when clubs already know your intent.

Unlike Moyes' time when finances were an integral part of the role, Koeman's job isn't to worry about the price. He's just trying to build a squad.

I don't particularly get the impression he cares too strongly either way, although it seems like he'd lean toward selling given his statements and contrasting those with how he talks about Lukaku. Or maybe he is just good at bluffing...if so he just went all in on that.

May 12, 2017, 10:45:58 AM
Reply #489

Jamokachi

I'm bored of this now, which means I have an apathy toward Ross. Shame.

May 12, 2017, 12:16:05 PM
Reply #490

van der Meyde

Unlike Moyes' time when finances were an integral part of the role, Koeman's job isn't to worry about the price. He's just trying to build a squad.
You generally don't build a better squad by selling your better players though.

And given that Koeman's said a few times that we'd need to sell him because we're a business and can't afford to let players leave for free, he should be interested in maintaining player value, yes.

May 12, 2017, 01:03:30 PM
Reply #491

Lxxx

If Ross Barkley goes from Everton to Newcastle then I will drink my own piss for a week
Supposed to be good for you that.

May 12, 2017, 02:34:47 PM
Reply #492

Hawkandro

City will be interested purely to make up the numbers of home-grown players, a la Delph.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

May 12, 2017, 03:00:18 PM
Reply #493

Bluedylan

I think he'd get loads of games for Spurs. People rave about their team now but if you look at a lot of them when they signed they weren't perceived as anything special, but working with Pochettino has elevated them. Wanyama was dismissed as just a big lump by many, Alli was just a promising League 1 player, Dembele had skill but wasn't pulling any trees up pre-Poch, Son had a poor first season, Alderweireld was an Atletico reject. Barkley's form this season is as good or better than pretty much all of them before Poch got his hands on them. He'd flourish massively under a manager like that.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 12, 2017, 03:16:06 PM
Reply #494

Cereal Killer

I think he'd get loads of games for Spurs. People rave about their team now but if you look at a lot of them when they signed they weren't perceived as anything special, but working with Pochettino has elevated them. Wanyama was dismissed as just a big lump by many, Alli was just a promising League 1 player, Dembele had skill but wasn't pulling any trees up pre-Poch, Son had a poor first season, Alderweireld was an Atletico reject. Barkley's form this season is as good or better than pretty much all of them before Poch got his hands on them. He'd flourish massively under a manager like that.

and Sissoko had a great Euros.... can't see Barkley starting too many games, he'd be there as cover for their first choice starting XI