November 18, 2017, 04:07:34 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Chelsea  (Read 10055 times)

May 01, 2017, 08:11:41 PM
Reply #510

Lxxx

We are, and always have been, much harder on our local players than ones who are bought in.

I don't think it's that as fans we're necessarily harder on local lads but as a fan to play for the club it would be a dream and most would run through brick walls and happily leave everything out on the pitch if given the chance.

A lot of Barkley's criticism was aimed at his perceived unwillingness to put in a shift every game and to see someone walk around a pitch and throw in token tackles, for a local lad, was seen by many as unsatisfactory.

I think things have snowballed from there and the idiots now have their well entrenched views and other fans are less willing to give him as much slack, even though he's tried to rectify that fault in his game this season.

He's a good football player and if we would have remained just the 'best of the rest' club it would have been more than acceptable.
Now the bar has been raised though with Moshiri and we have the money to bring in replacements if the current players aren't delivering. This brings a level of scrutiny that all good players should be judged on and if as an attacking midfielder you're not in double figures in both goals and assists every season then your place in the team will be threatened.

This is the new Everton now and it's time to leave sentiment at the door.

May 01, 2017, 08:22:33 PM
Reply #511

Ross

I don't think it's that as fans we're necessarily harder on local lads but as a fan to play for the club it would be a dream and most would run through brick walls and happily leave everything out on the pitch if given the chance.

A lot of Barkley's criticism was aimed at his perceived unwillingness to put in a shift every game and to see someone walk around a pitch and throw in token tackles, for a local lad, was seen by many as unsatisfactory.

I think things have snowballed from there and the idiots now have their well entrenched views and other fans are less willing to give him as much slack, even though he's tried to rectify that fault in his game this season.

He's a good football player and if we would have remained just the 'best of the rest' club it would have been more than acceptable.
Now the bar has been raised though with Moshiri and we have the money to bring in replacements if the current players aren't delivering. This brings a level of scrutiny that all good players should be judged on and if as an attacking midfielder you're not in double figures in both goals and assists every season then your place in the team will be threatened.

This is the new Everton now and it's time to leave sentiment at the door.

It's not just Barkley I'm talking about this goes back to Joe Royle and beyond. Most recently it was Osman and Hibbert, but there's been loads of players inbetween. Now it's Barkley. It's a Goodison trait sadly.

It's the one thing I wished we were a bit more like the shite about.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

May 01, 2017, 08:40:33 PM
Reply #512

Lxxx

It's not just Barkley I'm talking about this goes back to Joe Royle and beyond. Most recently it was Osman and Hibbert, but there's been loads of players inbetween. Now it's Barkley. It's a Goodison trait sadly.

It's the one thing I wished we were a bit more like the shite about.

I'd be surprised if Davies suffered from it. He seems to have the kind of attitude that supporters can relate to. Like Peter Reid did.

May 01, 2017, 08:51:17 PM
Reply #513

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be surprised if Davies suffered from it. He seems to have the kind of attitude that supporters can relate to. Like Peter Reid did.
You can see that already
There's been a few games where he has been poor or largely anonymous. Then he puts a tackle in and he's had a good game

Simply simply lovely

May 01, 2017, 09:01:24 PM
Reply #514

blueski

am I reading this right - the game where schniederlin is out and gana is on man marking duties and barkley is clearly being asked to hang back and help break up play and people are getting on his case for not getting in the box enough?
Nil Satis

May 01, 2017, 09:11:17 PM
Reply #515

Alanvideo

am I reading this right - the game where schniederlin is out and gana is on man marking duties and barkley is clearly being asked to hang back and help break up play and people are getting on his case for not getting in the box enough?
..............yes I thought that too, Barkley had a lot on his plate yesterday and I reckon he had a decent game . Plenty of his turns and touches were well appreciated from where I was sat but a few passes went astray. He appears to dwell on the ball sometimes but if other players aren't showing for the ball he doesn't have many options. Some people only rated him as a 5 , I don't know what they expected from the role he was asked to play.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 01, 2017, 09:39:33 PM
Reply #516

Ridge

Think it was more to do with use of the ball, several key points final ball was poor and on quite a few occasions he gave the ball away to set up their counters.

I can understand why plenty have sympathy for Ross, we have high expectations. But he is only 6 months younger than Rom and his output level is on a different scale. It's been a difficult season for him, but it's club who are panicking over a new deal not him.

I think long term, he'll be more productive with better support and less responsibility to create. But I can see how he'd get that straight away at Spurs.

May 01, 2017, 09:58:13 PM
Reply #517

Lxxx

I don't think you are reading it right, no.

May 01, 2017, 11:25:04 PM
Reply #518

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm still not sure what job he was being asked to do.

Playing the deeper position but still seemed tasked with lung bursting runs and getting to the edge of the box rather than typical shcneiderlein / Davies / Gana sensible CM play.

Easy way to lose the ball.

That said, it's a bit worryingly similar to how yaya plays and that's sort of the model I was hoping he'd grow into, seemed a bit lost yesterday though.

Trying to take the ball on the half turn in your own half or on the half way line is very different to taking a ball in the final quarter.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:32:26 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 01, 2017, 11:33:56 PM
Reply #519

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Terrible spelling of that name there.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.