October 18, 2018, 09:44:23 AM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce: All I've done is made things easier  (Read 5392 times)

December 20, 2017, 08:03:48 AM
Reply #45

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
do you ever really watch Lookman or do you just tune out with his fast feet
take last night 2 times I could have played a player in on goal with simple ball but would try to beat 2/3/4 players on his own he is at the club a year now and that L1 crap is still in him someone needs to tell him its a TEAM game
Peter Beagrie says hi
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 20, 2017, 12:03:01 PM
Reply #46

Nicco

There's a fine line though when you're playing shite but picking up points. Eventually you'll stop getting the breaks, players will drift out of form and narrow wins can easily become narrow losses if there's no substance behind your play.

Sooner rather than later we do need to see some evidence of progression with the ball.
I wouldnt say any player has been in form before or after Allardyce were appointed.
If this is Sams out of form tactics then it could be interesting even though I doubt it and agree with in the bigger picture.
Jönköpings Södra IF

December 20, 2017, 12:30:34 PM
Reply #47

Lxxx

I wouldnt say any player has been in form before or after Allardyce were appointed.
If this is Sams out of form tactics then it could be interesting even though I doubt it and agree with in the bigger picture.

No player in form since he was appointed? An unchanged side for 5 unbeaten league games, four wins, 11 goals scored, two conceded....All this after a miserable run where we couldn’t buy a clean sheet or a win. Come on now.

December 20, 2017, 01:10:40 PM
Reply #48

KoemansNumberTens

do you ever really watch Lookman or do you just tune out with his fast feet
take last night 2 times I could have played a player in on goal with simple ball but would try to beat 2/3/4 players on his own he is at the club a year now and that L1 crap is still in him someone needs to tell him its a TEAM game

I wasn't so much suggesting lookman (and vlasic) have been good more they are the type of player we are crying out for if they had better consistency. He's what we are lacking but he's not ready

December 20, 2017, 03:19:09 PM
Reply #49

Dr. Sponge

We definitely need to work on not losing the ball as often as we do. Most of the first half against Swansea we were careless in possession. If we'd have kept the ball better we'd have had some better attacking moves.

But we're still carrying too many players that aren't good enough to play beautiful football AND win.

Martina, a young DCL, Gueye is poor on the ball, Kenny is brand new to the Prem, Lennon is hardly a pass master.

I'm happy getting as many points possible, game by game, at the moment. When we have our injured players back and after a transfer window where we buy some players in positions where we actually need them, then I'll worry about style of play.

December 20, 2017, 04:02:16 PM
Reply #50

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We have though.

Granted we're not controlling games as we'd like and there are still a lot of aimless balls up the pitch, but there's been some good stuff in the midst of it all.

Unless you’re really good then there’s always a lot of boring stuff in games.

We saw with RM that it can feel even worse when you’re not going anywhere when you’ve actually got the ball under control.

It’s only 5 games since we looked a complete mess.

I’d expect it to be another 5/6 good results (and that may not be in the next 5/6 games given who we’ve got) before confidence is fully there and we can expect “dominant” performances.

It was ridiculous to expect a relaxed swatting aside of anyone.

The problem on Monday was that most of the forward players were poor in first half (which can happen anytime) and the midfield unbalanced - not a pre disposition to wellying it anywhere.

December 20, 2017, 04:14:50 PM
Reply #51

mikey_blue

If we bin the 2 DM's and play Gana with Rooney dropping deep, Sig as the furthest forward Midfielder, with Lennon/ Bolasie/ Vlasic/ Lookman on the wings then I think we will see a much more cohesive style.

December 20, 2017, 05:08:10 PM
Reply #52

bogie

I wasn't so much suggesting lookman (and vlasic) have been good more they are the type of player we are crying out for if they had better consistency. He's what we are lacking but he's not ready

Vlasic has been here all of 5 mins and with manager gone and so long for new one to come in he might not get a crack in the team till the summer unlucky but there seems to be a bit more about him than Lookman I really think one of them needs to be sent out on load asap and in that way it will help the other get more game time with the 1st team and not both fighting for the same 20 mins of play

December 20, 2017, 05:59:14 PM
Reply #53

Dr. Sponge

If we bin the 2 DM's and play Gana with Rooney dropping deep, Sig as the furthest forward Midfielder, with Lennon/ Bolasie/ Vlasic/ Lookman on the wings then I think we will see a much more cohesive style.

Yeah definitely. But we can't do that against the top teams or they'd tear us apart. I reckon we'll still have 2 DMs against Chelsea.

December 20, 2017, 08:58:02 PM
Reply #54

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah exactly. I think we can hoofball our way to 7th pretty much every season and that's fine. Once that is achieved we will want something more, as we should, and the best way to achieve that (imo) and compete with those above us is to get hold of the football. Same applies if we want to do better in Europe in the future, for me.

Very few teams have ever made that transition from effective to aesthetically pleasing successfully. Certainly not without major investment in players of a higher quality e.g City.

Without it you end up like stoke, identity less, result-less and drifting, or like Moyes Everton (as close to success as you’ll find) a team torn in two by the desire to play nice football and the desire to stick it on fellainis head constantly. Ultimately couldn’t kick in with either.

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 20, 2017, 09:11:39 PM
Reply #55

School of Science

No player in form since he was appointed? An unchanged side for 5 unbeaten league games, four wins, 11 goals scored, two conceded....All this after a miserable run where we couldn’t buy a clean sheet or a win. Come on now.

That to me is one of the main differences, a settled side, instead of 5 or 6 changes every match,ala Koeman and Unsworth.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

December 20, 2017, 09:59:34 PM
Reply #56

Omar

Would love us to play some football and control a game with the ball, at some point.

Leicester did win the league being a counter-attacking side. Not that we have the pace or players for it, mind you.
I WANT MY $2!

December 20, 2017, 10:31:16 PM
Reply #57

Bluedylan

Leicester did win the league being a counter-attacking side. Not that we have the pace or players for it, mind you.

Yeah it's just personal preference I suppose. I prefer football with the ball, to watch and to play. Also I love Everton and football. Some people only care about or watch Everton, but aren't arsed about footie beyond that, which is totally fair enough. I'm not an 'any means necessary' person. Some are. Again, no worries, just a difference of opinion.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 20, 2017, 11:57:55 PM
Reply #58

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Very few teams have ever made that transition from effective to aesthetically pleasing successfully. Certainly not without major investment in players of a higher quality e.g City.

Without it you end up like stoke, identity less, result-less and drifting, or like Moyes Everton (as close to success as you’ll find) a team torn in two by the desire to play nice football and the desire to stick it on fellainis head constantly. Ultimately couldn’t kick in with either.

You say that but really what club has 'kicked on' without significant financial investment to match? Obviously there's plenty examples of one off success, but the reality of today is that sustained performance on the pitch is directly correlated with a club's wage bill.

A Moyes or Allardyce Everton can play whatever brand of football they want and may if we're lucky very occasionally punch above our weight with a trophy or top four finish, as Moyes did.

But to imagine there's some answer on the pitch to sustained success beyond what we invest in our squad is to deny all the evidence of the singular importance of money in football today.

December 21, 2017, 12:44:00 AM
Reply #59

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
You say that but really what club has 'kicked on' without significant financial investment to match? Obviously there's plenty examples of one off success, but the reality of today is that sustained performance on the pitch is directly correlated with a club's wage bill.

A Moyes or Allardyce Everton can play whatever brand of football they want and may if we're lucky very occasionally punch above our weight with a trophy or top four finish, as Moyes did.

But to imagine there's some answer on the pitch to sustained success beyond what we invest in our squad is to deny all the evidence of the singular importance of money in football today.

Yeah definitely agree.

Think ultimately the best teams will be those with the biggest transfer spends and biggest wage bill, period.

In regards to style, it probably just stands to reason that when you buy players that are magnitudes better than other teams you control the game, when you are being more functional with lower quality players, it’s probably good to be direct and tight.

I’m no expert but I imagine both styles have ceilings and those ceilings have pound signs on them.

But, the league is and has been littered with teams who enjoy stability for a while then think the way forward is aesthetically pleasing possession football. I happen to agree, I just think it needs to be backed up with mega money, in the prem anyway.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.