April 21, 2018, 01:26:31 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 39683 times)

November 25, 2017, 04:46:42 PM
Reply #330

Alanvideo

Can someone copy and paste that article
please.
Everton are reviewing the position of Steve Walsh, their director of football, with some at Goodison Park questioning whether he is doing enough to justify a salary in excess of £1 million, one of the highest in the Premier League for such a position. Walsh is understood to have been given little involvement in the club’s search for a new manager after his initial recommendation of Sam Allardyce failed to materialise, with the process being spearheaded by the majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri. Walsh is also facing questions over his decisions in last summer’s transfer window, during which he presided over the acquisition of almost £150 million of new players, while Everton are now struggling at the wrong end of the table. Everton recruited Walsh from Leicester City 16 months ago after failing to bring in Monchi, Seville’s sporting director, and there is a growing feeling at the club that he has not delivered.

We are special ,we are Everton.

November 25, 2017, 04:56:36 PM
Reply #331

BlueBeagle

I think the fact that Walsh wanted Sam Allardyce says a lot about his level of ambition tbh

November 25, 2017, 04:59:34 PM
Reply #332

Ross

It’d just emphasis how chaotic, panic stricken and rudderless things are at present if we sacked our DoF just as there’s a transfer window around the corner and we’re in the midst of managerial recruitment crisis.

So it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that articles true.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 25, 2017, 05:04:05 PM
Reply #333

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Can we afford another transfer window like that?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 25, 2017, 05:05:15 PM
Reply #334

BlueBeagle

It’d just emphasis how chaotic, panic stricken and rudderless things are at present if we sacked our DoF just as there’s a transfer window around the corner and we’re in the midst of managerial recruitment crisis.

So it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that articles true.

Sooner get rid of the bloke now if it saves us from another transfer window like the ones he has overseen previously

Edit: Beaten to it by Brap by about 30 seconds!

November 25, 2017, 05:07:37 PM
Reply #335

toffee_scot

I wonder, with reports that we are interested in Ralf Rangnick, the sporting director at RB Leipzig, are we maybe exploring the possibility of bringing him in as a director of football, rather than as a manager, to replace Steve Walsh?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:15:40 PM by toffee_scot »

November 25, 2017, 05:13:21 PM
Reply #336

van der Meyde

Empathetic to the idea that Koeman was knocking back some of Walsh's suggestions.

A first recommendation of Allardyce is probably grounds for sacking alone though.

November 25, 2017, 05:16:19 PM
Reply #337

sam of the south

I wonder, with reports that we are interested in Ralf Rangnick, the sporting director at RB Leipzig, are we maybe exploring the possibility of bringing him in as a director of football, rather than a manager, to replace Steve Walsh?

This was my hope wayback, and I suggested in one of my podcast questions when Koeman was still here, that Rangnick as DOF and Tuchel as Manager would be my ideal for really taking us forward.

Very remote chance of either, though.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

November 25, 2017, 05:17:13 PM
Reply #338

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I just think, if I’m Sporting Director the first fucking job on the list is to go right, here’s my ten strikers that will be to do some of the things that Lukaku could do. I’ve used our new data fella to help out it together and yeah, girouds on the list but there’s 9 other fellas so don’t get distracted ok?

After that, here’s my list of full backs - Coleman’s broke his fucking leg and Baines is aba 50 and they’ve been crucial for about 10 years sonit would be literally retarded to not find someone who can replace some of the energy and passing those lads can, especially with how important fullbacks are these days.

We’ve had a bid for Gareth Barry have we? Sorry nah, unless you want to buy one of these passing DM’s.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 25, 2017, 05:20:35 PM
Reply #339

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Wanting big Sam tells you all you need the know about this fella.

It was a dreadful appointment from that start.

November 25, 2017, 05:24:28 PM
Reply #340

toffee_scot

This was my hope wayback, and I suggested in one of my podcast questions when Koeman was still here, that Rangnick as DOF and Tuchel as Manager would be my ideal for really taking us forward.

Very remote chance of either, though.

If I remember correctly, Rangnick was interviewed for the Everton manager role back when we were looking to replace Moyes although apparently now Rangnick has no interest in returning to club management but maybe he might be lured by a DoF role at Everton. 

November 25, 2017, 05:27:56 PM
Reply #341

Makis

It's just an aspect of the game today that managers can't do everything. There was a time when they were also practically the head scout but their schedule got so busy it was a good idea to hire someone to that role.

This model has been used in the continent for a long time, in fact in many countries they have never had a British-style manager who has a dual role. Manager's job is to make the best of the team he is provided. US sports is the same, btw. You have a general manager who deals with team building and all that and a head coach who is in charge of game-related things. The idea is simple: you can change the coach but you still have a guy in charge of the larger picture. You don't scrap everything that happened in the past two or three years just because the new guy has a new idea on how to build the team.

November 25, 2017, 05:31:35 PM
Reply #342

Bluedylan

On a slightly positive note, he's probably more than paid for himself by recommending Gana and Onyekuru.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 25, 2017, 05:36:04 PM
Reply #343

toffee_scot

I just think, if I’m Sporting Director the first fucking job on the list is to go right, here’s my ten strikers that will be to do some of the things that Lukaku could do. I’ve used our new data fella to help out it together and yeah, girouds on the list but there’s 9 other fellas so don’t get distracted ok?

I wonder if Everton still have a partnership with Sports Interactive regarding using the full Football Manager database.

November 25, 2017, 05:37:01 PM
Reply #344

KoemansNumberTens

I think the fact that Walsh wanted Sam Allardyce says a lot about his level of ambition tbh

As opposed to Simeone and an unavailable silva