Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 149644 times)

November 01, 2017, 09:31:05 PM
Reply #855

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Would you have an issue with that?

I'm kinda uneasy about it, but he opens up a lot of different avenues for us regarding players.

Which is exactly what we need right now. Wolves were able to pull in a higher calibre of player because of the link. Given our situation, we need to do the same.

Some agents have more sway than most managers these days it would seem.

November 01, 2017, 09:51:17 PM
Reply #856

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Talking of wolves, I wouldn't mind having a dabble on Dave Jones.

Knows the city well and has managed Barkley before in his Sheffield Wednesday days.

November 01, 2017, 09:52:02 PM
Reply #857

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I'll stop now.

I'm in deep in the managerial wilderness and it's such a wonderful place to be at times.

November 01, 2017, 09:53:11 PM
Reply #858

kramer0

Their age isnít the problem (see Juve). They just donít suit 3 at the back stylistically.

Exactly. This is what I mean when I say we probably haven't done our due diligence. It's all well and good to go for somebody who's getting good results today, but some genuine thought needs to go into whether or not their style suits the club (especially the current playing staff). I see no evidence that Moshiri/Kenwright are doing this.

- We don't have much physicality in the front line so it's going to be hard for us to play a direct, long-passing style (Allardyce, Dyche).
- Our CBs aren't good in possession so it's going to be hard for us to play with three at the back (Nuno). Maybe Nuno can use Holgate at RCB and Baines at LCB but that still feels like a flimsy plan, especially considering that Baines has never played that sort of role.
- We have a very slow team so it's going to be hard for us to hire anyone who wants us to play a high line and/or press (most of the genuinely intriguing candidates).

[All of those things highlight how diabolical our recruitment was under Koeman/Walsh. These were three things that Koeman almost certainly wanted us to be able to do and we don't have the players to do any of them properly. We have few, if any, strengths as a team.]

Our best option right now probably involves playing a deliberate, careful style in possession to minimize cheap giveaways, with a mid-block or low-block defensively. We're not going to score tons of open-play goals this way, but we'll be organized and we can punish teams from set pieces (Sigurdsson needs to play), or with the odd good cut-back or cross from decent build-up play down the flanks, or with the odd direct pass behind the defense when we draw our opponents out. Basically a version of how Swansea played when they first got promoted. [For all that money. Garbage recruitment.]

What managers can realize this sort of approach? I'm not sure, exactly. Ted Knutson put Marcelino out there as a good fit but he's doing so well with Valencia that we're unlikely to be able to get him. Rodgers managed the aforementioned Swansea team, but he's a cringe-bag and probably wouldn't come here. Favre's teams tend to be organized and deliberate, though he does rely on pace for counter-attacking. Unsworth gave us a glimpse of this approach with his 4-3-3 against Chelsea (minus having Sigurdsson's set pieces on the pitch) but then totally abandoned the idea against Leicester.

It's a tough situation. But I think it's crucial to hire someone who can get us functioning with a minimal number of additions in January. We can't be buying a whole new group of players to suit a new manager every 2 years (or even less, as in our current situation). That's a surefire path to the bottom of the league.

Moshiri/Kenwright need to have a serious re-think about the way this club is run. Maybe do that root-and-branch analysis before getting into bed with a shiny, new, expensive manager. Figure out what you want for the club and pay whatever price for a proper director of football to oversee the project. That person will be more qualified to make decisions about managers, new players, and staff, i.e. all of the things that we're currently getting horribly wrong.

Edit: Apologies to @GLewis  for dumping all of that into a reply to a short comment.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:36:45 PM by kramer0 »

November 01, 2017, 09:57:51 PM
Reply #859

Evertonian in NC

Exactly. This is what I mean when I say we probably haven't done our due diligence. It's all well and good to go for somebody who's getting good results today, but some genuine thought needs to go into whether or not their style suits the club (especially the current playing staff). I see no evidence that Moshiri/Kenwright are doing this.

- We don't have much physicality in the front line so it's going to be hard for us to play a direct, long-passing style (Allardyce, Dyche).
- Our CBs aren't good in possession so it's going to be hard for us to play with three at the back (Nuno). Maybe Nuno can use Holgate at RCB and Baines at LCB but that still feels like a flimsy plan, especially considering that Baines has never played that sort of role.
- We have a very slow team so it's going to be hard for us to hire anyone who wants us to play a high line and/or press (most of the genuinely intriguing candidates).

[All of those things highlight how diabolical our recruitment was under Koeman/Walsh. These were three things that Koeman almost certainly wanted us to be able to do and we don't have the players to do any of them properly. We have few, if any, strengths as a team.]

Our best option right now probably involves playing a deliberate, careful style in possession to minimize cheap giveaways, with a mid-block or low-block defensively. We're not going to score tons of open-play goals this way, but we'll be organized and we can punish teams from set pieces (Sigurdsson needs to play), or with the odd good cut-back or cross from decent build-up play down the flanks, or with the odd direct pass behind the defense when we draw our opponents out. Basically like Swansea played when they first got promoted. [For all that money. Garbage recruitment.]

What managers can realize this sort of approach? I'm not sure, exactly. Ted Knutson put Marcelino out there as a good fit but he's doing so well with Valencia that we're unlikely to be able to get him. Rodgers managed the aforementioned Swansea team, but he's a cringe-bag and probably wouldn't come here. Favre's teams tend to be organized and deliberate, though he does rely on having pace for counter-attacking. Unsworth gave us a glimpse of this approach with his 4-3-3 against Chelsea (minus having Sigurdsson's set pieces on the pitch) but then totally abandoned the idea against Leicester.

It's a tough situation. But I think it's crucial to hire someone who can get us functioning with a minimal number of additions in January. We can't be buying a whole new group of players to suit a new manager every 2 years (or even less, as in our current situation). That's a surefire path to the bottom of the league.

Moshiri/Kenwright need to have a serious re-think about the way this club is run. Maybe do that root-and-branch analysis before getting into bed with a shiny, new, expensive manager. Figure out what you want for the club and pay whatever price for a proper director of football to oversee the project. That person will be more qualified to make decisions about managers, new players, and staff, i.e. all of the things that we're currently getting horribly wrong.

Edit: Apologies to @GLewis  for dumping all of that into a reply to a short comment.

This all makes sense to me, and hopefully Favre or a deliberate (but visionary) Favre disciple/type is available.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 01, 2017, 10:13:36 PM
Reply #860

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

Our best option right now probably involves playing a deliberate, careful style in possession to minimize cheap giveaways, with a mid-block or low-block defensively. We're not going to score tons of open-play goals this way, but we'll be organized and we can punish teams from set pieces (Sigurdsson needs to play), or with the odd good cut-back or cross from decent build-up play down the flanks, or with the odd direct pass behind the defense when we draw our opponents out. Basically like Swansea played when they first got promoted. [For all that money. Garbage recruitment.]

What managers can realize this sort of approach? I'm not sure, exactly. Ted Knutson put Marcelino out there as a good fit but he's doing so well with Valencia that we're unlikely to be able to get him. Rodgers managed the aforementioned Swansea team, but he's a cringe-bag and probably wouldn't come here. Favre's teams tend to be organized and deliberate, though he does rely on pace for counter-attacking. Unsworth gave us a glimpse of this approach with his 4-3-3 against Chelsea (minus having Sigurdsson's set pieces on the pitch) but then totally abandoned the idea against Leicester.

Whoever comes in, we're going to have to invest some key players to make any of it work.

I think we have such little identity in the squad to play in any coherent way that we need some additions to make pretty much any system work. January is as important as the manager (pretty much).

November 01, 2017, 10:18:16 PM
Reply #861

kramer0

Whoever comes in, we're going to have to invest some key players to make any of it work.

I think we have such little identity in the squad to play in any coherent way that we need some additions to make pretty much any system work. January is as important as the manager (pretty much).

I agree that we need new players to really make this team work. But it would be best if we hired people who could make that happen with as few additions as possible.

January is an impossible time for major squad overhauls.

November 01, 2017, 10:24:27 PM
Reply #862

boothill

Avram grant , done deal

November 01, 2017, 10:26:46 PM
Reply #863

Robber Rodwell

Aitor Karanka anyone???

November 01, 2017, 10:47:32 PM
Reply #864

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Aitor Karanka anyone???
The fact he is one of the top names linked with Sunderland says a lot
Simply simply lovely

November 01, 2017, 10:47:51 PM
Reply #865

BlueForYou

If you are looking at Championship managers, keep an eye on ex Everton player Gary Rowett

Did well with Burton, was doing a good job at Birmingham and now beginning to get results for Derby (wouldn't bet against them for promotion)

His time may not be now but one to assess for 2019 when his contract runs out - if we're still in the mire, of course

On a par with Dixons Dyche, Holy Moses and Fireman Sam

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

November 01, 2017, 10:48:53 PM
Reply #866

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
If you are looking at Championship managers, keep an eye on ex Everton player Gary Rowett

Did well with Burton, was doing a good job at Birmingham and now beginning to get results for Derby (wouldn't bet against them for promotion)

His time may not be now but one to assess for 2019 when his contract runs out - if we're still in the mire, of course

On a par with Dixons Dyche, Holy Moses and Fireman Sam
Except dyche and Allardyce have got out of the championship and stayed in the pl

Bar that, it's the same
Simply simply lovely

November 01, 2017, 10:52:22 PM
Reply #867

BlueForYou

Watch his progress over the next two seasons - assuming he does progress!
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

November 01, 2017, 11:18:39 PM
Reply #868

toffee_scot

I really hope Moshiri and Kenwright are reflecting about the way the club is run on the footballing side including the issues you've highlighted.

I'd very much like to see what the contract/job description looks like for the current director of football role at Everton - did they just use the template for the chief scout contract vacated by Kevin Reeves and just jazzed us some of the terminology I wonder?

November 01, 2017, 11:32:03 PM
Reply #869

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
New odds
Simply simply lovely