Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 145658 times)

November 12, 2017, 03:48:30 PM
Reply #1500

Mayor Farnum

So if Watford had beaten us 7-0, would you be happy to make an appointment based on that one game? Of course not. Disagree with 'other countries not being comparable'. Not even really sure what that means. It's the same skills required, whichever country you manage in, and the game is international enough that the skills are directly transferable.

Are you Walter Smith?

November 12, 2017, 03:52:29 PM
Reply #1501

Bluedylan

So he took Hull down with a little bit of a fight. Has he even managed twenty Premier League games yet?

Paul Clement kept Swansea up, is he not foreign enough?

Hull were dead and gone. I think it would be silly to pin that on him, and I'm sure you realise that. It was amazing they still had a chance going into the last few games. And the change in their team was marked.

It's not a question of whether someone is foreign or not, as you weirdly appear to be fixating on that. It's about whether they can do the job or not, and then whether they would have the potential to move us on from 7th (assuming we get back to that area of the time in the near future).
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 12, 2017, 03:53:04 PM
Reply #1502

Bluedylan

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 12, 2017, 03:54:52 PM
Reply #1503

Ramjam

He would care, his ego wouldn't want to have a relegation on his CV. I'd imagine his salary would be heavily bonused on keeping us up as well.

I think if he took us down the CV wouldn’t matter anymore, that would finish him as a premier league manager.

What was that Moyes🤣
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

November 12, 2017, 04:05:10 PM
Reply #1504

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
This thread makes me gutted that Koeman didn’t work out.

November 12, 2017, 04:41:34 PM
Reply #1505

Ross

Hull were dead and gone. I think it would be silly to pin that on him, and I'm sure you realise that. It was amazing they still had a chance going into the last few games. And the change in their team was marked.

It's not a question of whether someone is foreign or not, as you weirdly appear to be fixating on that. It's about whether they can do the job or not, and then whether they would have the potential to move us on from 7th (assuming we get back to that area of the time in the near future).

That’s not true. When Silva took over Hull were 18th on 16 points with 17 games to play for, behind Palace on goal difference and just a few points behind Boro and Leicester. It was hardly an insurmountable position. They ended up 6 points from safety despite a free falling Watford and Burnley. Swansea looked dead and buried when they appointed Paul Clement a week earlier but they gained 8 more points on Hull during the remaining games and finished relatively safely.

Silva’s got two big negatives, one being he’s very flighty and the other is his teams concede on average a goal a game (two a game in English football), fortunately he seems to enjoy attacking though and his teams score a lot. His appointment would make for an interesting and unpredictable ride by the looks, he’d be a big gamble and it’s probably why Moshiri is taking so long to consider it.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 12, 2017, 04:47:58 PM
Reply #1506

KoemansNumberTens

Allardyce wouldn’t give a fuck if we stayed up or went down, he’d be coming for the money, simple as that. I’d fuckin hate him to come here

Based on what? Beyond anything else he's in demand to keep teams up because he keeps teams up. If the results stop happening then the money will stop coming in

It makes no sense to claim they don't care. Same was said about koeman. He needed to succeed here to achieve his ambitions elsewhere

November 12, 2017, 04:55:20 PM
Reply #1507

Dr. Sponge

If only.

I was enjoying that video, until he described Idrissa Gueye as a player that can hold a defensive position.

November 12, 2017, 05:06:44 PM
Reply #1508

gizzblue

I was enjoying that video, until he described Idrissa Gueye as a player that can hold a defensive position.
Thing is Guaye is being asked to push on and imho he's better as a deep lying DM .....think Tuchel was spot on .

November 12, 2017, 05:19:51 PM
Reply #1509

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah he improved Hull after taking over but it wasn't miraculous. On a points per game basis his performance equated to around 45 across a season, which gets you to around 14-15th or so on a typical season. Which is decent for Hull, but let's not wet ourselves with excitement over it.

November 12, 2017, 05:38:32 PM
Reply #1510

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Have slight doubts over silva but would be more than happy to see us appoint him.

To flip some of the arguments against him around.

1. They conceded 3 goals after Gomes went off and they had an absolute disaster in goal.

2. Yeah winning the Greek league isn't much of an achievement. Winning it in the fashion he did is though.

3. Done very well at hull considering the mess they were in.

4.Defensively Watford are suspect, but that's more down to the open expansive way they play. A style most would want here.

As I say, got some slight reservations but he's worth the risk for me.

November 12, 2017, 05:47:29 PM
Reply #1511

KoemansNumberTens

Have slight doubts over silva but would be more than happy to see us appoint him.

To flip some of the arguments against him around.

1. They conceded 3 goals after Gomes went off and they had an absolute disaster in goal.

2. Yeah winning the Greek league isn't much of an achievement. Winning it in the fashion he did is though.

3. Done very well at hull considering the mess they were in.

4.Defensively Watford are suspect, but that's more down to the open expansive way they play. A style most would want here.

As I say, got some slight reservations but he's worth the risk for me.

My biggest issue would be the level of disloyalty it would take for him to leave watford so soon

November 12, 2017, 05:56:10 PM
Reply #1512

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
My biggest issue would be the level of disloyalty it would take for him to leave watford so soon

Fair point. Would be a bit weird taking someone who hasn't lasted more than a year at his last 4 clubs and expecting any different.

November 12, 2017, 05:58:57 PM
Reply #1513

gizzblue

Fair point. Would be a bit weird taking someone who hasn't lasted more than a year at his last 4 clubs and expecting any different.
Would we be another steppingstone?....bollocks to that I'm out we need stability ....not another lukaku esq grass is always greener type .

November 12, 2017, 06:08:44 PM
Reply #1514

Rodenplav64

I think if we are aiming for Silva then we might as well wait and see where Watford finish first . They have actually spent more than us net and I reckon we will easily finish above them . Would that then be peoples preferred choice . Without the EL and CLC to worry about we can focus and there is no need to keep changing the team and tactics twice a week . No rush in my opinion as there are enough teams as poor as us around us . A few more games will give us a better idea of who in the team is and if we are up for the fight .