August 22, 2017, 09:51:07 PM

Poll

Europa yay or nay?

We're all going on a European tour
56 (96.6%)
Brexit
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Europa League hindrance or help  (Read 2669 times)

March 13, 2017, 03:52:04 AM
Reply #15

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I love it when we're in the Europa League.  Never once have I wished we weren't in it.

deCoubertin

March 13, 2017, 03:53:35 AM
Reply #16

velimski

I for one can't wait to see the blues play some team in Chernobyl in mid July. 

I'd much rather see the entire Liverpool first team squad with Gerrard, Souness, Jamie Redknapp and Phil Thompson (sent as the commentary team) spend a decent amount of time in Chernobyl.

March 13, 2017, 03:57:02 AM
Reply #17

Macca77

10,000+ blues at Lille, 9000 at Nuremburg, 6000 at Benfica etc... nobody could accuse us of not taking it seriously

March 13, 2017, 03:58:09 AM
Reply #18

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Love a Thursday night out

March 13, 2017, 04:00:58 AM
Reply #19

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Only bad thing is they don't sell ale at the match.

March 13, 2017, 04:20:00 AM
Reply #20

mikey_blue

I love it when we batter teams from countries I've never heard of.

March 13, 2017, 04:23:15 AM
Reply #21

phillyt

I don't remember Martinez using it as an excuse to be fair.

Infact he actually embraced it.

He embraced the EL but the extent to which he prioritised it effected the PL form so much. He refused to address this form because of the EL run. Perhaps he never expressly said it but there was a definite attitude that the atrocious league performance was excused by the brilliant European performances.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

March 13, 2017, 04:23:40 AM
Reply #22

Outworlder47

Other sides currently in their leagues' Europa spots, for comparison (these would all draw into the 3rd qualifying round, as the 7th place PL team this season will):
Astra Ploiesti
Sparta Prague
PAOK Thessaloniki
Galatasaray
Sion
Zulte-Waregem
PSV Eindhoven
Zorya Luhansk, Oleksandria
Zenit St. Petersburg, Ufa
Vitoria Guimaraes
Olympique Marseilles
Eintracht Frankfurt
Real Sociedad

Some nice trips there, and some absolute nightmares (I'm looking at you, Ufa).

March 13, 2017, 04:33:38 AM
Reply #23

phillyt

Other sides currently in their leagues' Europa spots, for comparison (these would all draw into the 3rd qualifying round, as the 7th place PL team this season will):
Astra Ploiesti
Sparta Prague
PAOK Thessaloniki
Galatasaray
Sion
Zulte-Waregem
PSV Eindhoven
Zorya Luhansk, Oleksandria
Zenit St. Petersburg, Ufa
Vitoria Guimaraes
Olympique Marseilles
Eintracht Frankfurt
Real Sociedad

Some nice trips there, and some absolute nightmares (I'm looking at you, Ufa).
Would we be seeded in the qualifying draw tho. So we would get an easy (in theory) route to the competition proper.

Not that we will have to worry when we overhaul united and the shite. 🤔🤔🤔
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

March 13, 2017, 04:40:08 AM
Reply #24

Major Clanger

Imagine going to an away trip to San Sebastian with a massive "Sorry about Moyes" banner.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 13, 2017, 05:19:12 AM
Reply #25

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not a fan of the Europa League format at all but I do like us being in Europe and hopefully we now have the money to expand the squad with enough quality to manage the extra games.

That said, I can't think of too many recent examples where a PL club improved its league position from the year before whilst playing the EL..? Anyone?

March 13, 2017, 05:25:12 AM
Reply #26

Alanvideo

Really fancy a trip to Prague.  :cheers:
We are special ,we are Everton.

March 13, 2017, 05:27:33 AM
Reply #27

Major Clanger

I'm not a fan of the Europa League format at all but I do like us being in Europe and hopefully we now have the money to expand the squad with enough quality to manage the extra games.

That said, I can't think of too many recent examples where a PL club improved its league position from the year before whilst playing the EL..? Anyone?

Well, we did for example. And Spurs. And United.

Basically anyone who didn't just get to the EL on the back of an outstanding and/or lucky season, after which a less successful season is a statistically likely scenario with or without EL anyway.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 13, 2017, 06:28:38 AM
Reply #28

Thornton_19

You have to look at teams like Atletico Madrid and Seville who both took the comp very seriously won it multiple times and then kicked on in other aspects. We must follow this model.

March 13, 2017, 06:34:09 AM
Reply #29

kramer0

Basically anyone who didn't just get to the EL on the back of an outstanding and/or lucky season, after which a less successful season is a statistically likely scenario with or without EL anyway.

Agreed. "Europa League kills PL form" is the narrative but regression to the mean is the real story.

Teams that are genuinely good can perform on both fronts.