September 24, 2017, 05:35:32 PM

Poll

Europa yay or nay?

We're all going on a European tour
56 (96.6%)
Brexit
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Europa League hindrance or help  (Read 2853 times)

March 13, 2017, 06:46:43 AM
Reply #30

Evertonian in NC

We need this to showcase all our sexy midfield options.  Plus...DOMINIC THE STRIKER!!
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

deCoubertin

March 13, 2017, 06:47:49 AM
Reply #31

Evertonian in NC

I'd much rather see the entire Liverpool first team squad with Gerrard, Souness, Jamie Redknapp and Phil Thompson (sent as the commentary team) spend a decent amount of time in Chernobyl.

I wonder if Stoke ever qualified for this round, what a trip there would do for their fanbase?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 13, 2017, 12:37:05 PM
Reply #32

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Can't wait. Always loved the competition when we in it.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 13, 2017, 01:50:03 PM
Reply #33

74Blue

The elite world players want to be playing in the elite competitions. If you have no European football to offer, you have not a cat in hells chance of attracting those top players, unless they are particularly mercenary and you're chucking bucketloads of cash at them. Even then, you're only giving them an opportunity to put themselves in the shop window for a bigger fish to come and snap them up.
The Europa league is not by any means as elite the CL. However, it is a European competition, with the opportunity to win a Champions League place if you can win it. It'sanother competition that you can dangle as a carrot to attract some of the bigger players. Coupled with the fact that we now seem to have a bit of cash to spend, I think we should embrace the opportunity to have a little European tour next season and absolutely go all out to get it. We've got fuck all to lose.

March 13, 2017, 01:55:16 PM
Reply #34

Bluedylan

Well up for it. I enjoy the competition, there's always loads of good sides in it from all over Europe, and next season it will hopefully provide an opportunity for some of our other best u23s to get some gametime and some opportunities to develop.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

March 13, 2017, 02:16:21 PM
Reply #35

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Hardly done Spurs or Utd any harm this year, have never understood why playing Thursday Sunday in the EL is any worse than playing Wed Saturday in the CL

March 13, 2017, 02:21:45 PM
Reply #36

ally2

Just want to put a good word in for Chernobyl. Amazing place now.

March 13, 2017, 02:50:19 PM
Reply #37

Rodenplav64

Whatever people want to say about Martinez he did not have the financial clout Koemann looks to have . We have some very promising young players who need competitive games and 3 cup competitions helps . The problem comes when fans start bleating about dips in form and inconsistent performances . Unfortunately in the short term that comes with progression as you have to get use to twice a week on a regular basis . The good thing I think is that we are unlikely to stand still in terms of the squad and look like we will be adding to and not losing from the core group of players . I didn't think Saturday was boring either as I saw it more as a mature performance in overcoming a stubborn anti football outfit whose fans put ours to shame . Only disappointment was a truly shite atmosphere despite the win . When we move stadium we also need to sort out the potholes on the dock road .

March 13, 2017, 03:14:42 PM
Reply #38

Rhys

Hardly done Spurs or Utd any harm this year, have never understood why playing Thursday Sunday in the EL is any worse than playing Wed Saturday in the CL

I think its a mental thing more than anything. However the other side of it is it is always Thursday-Sunday. As opposed to CL sometimes its Saturday - Tuesday or there is the possibility of Tuesday/Wednesday - Sunday in the CL whereas Europa its guaranteed Thursday - Sunday and 3 day gap every time.

But as long as you have the squad you cant turn it down. Spurs have been in Europe nearly every season for about 10 years and they've pushed on as a club to not just competing for CL places but trying to win the league. Of course it's easier to compete in the league when you arent in Europe as Chelsea and Liverpool are finding this season but those clubs arent hoping they arent in Europe to give themselves a better chance in the league and neither should we.

March 13, 2017, 04:09:07 PM
Reply #39

Rodenplav64

The clubs who have flopped in the Europa and suffered in the leagues are the ones who have failed to invest and build rather than achieve more with the same . We look for the first time that we do have investment . Holding breath ...........

March 13, 2017, 04:17:59 PM
Reply #40

Macca77

We need this to showcase all our sexy midfield options.  Plus...DOMINIC THE STRIKER!!

Hey! Chingedy ching,
(Hee-haw, hee-haw)
It's Dominic the stiker.
Chingedy ching,
(Hee-haw, hee-haw)
The English Everton striker.
(La la la-la la-la la la la la)
(La la la-la la-la la-ee-oh-da)
Koemans got a little friend,
His name is Dominic.
The cutest little striker,
You always see him kick.

March 13, 2017, 04:22:48 PM
Reply #41

Major Clanger

Just want to put a good word in for Chernobyl. Amazing place now.

And it's about 10 miles away from Pripyat.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 13, 2017, 04:56:42 PM
Reply #42

Tony Clifton

I've missed it.  We need it. 

Had some great nights in this competition over the years, and I will definitely be getting on more away adventures this time.

March 13, 2017, 05:14:21 PM
Reply #43

toffee_scot

My big concern in the past was that we didn't have a big enough squad. I remember under Moyes we'd pick up injuries nearly every week and he'd end up playing the likes of Dan Gosling at right back or Hibbert in central defence. Our form in the league wouldn't be that great also.

But I enjoyed our last European adventure under Martinez, except for the Kiev away game when Alcaraz was all over the place. I think under Koeman we will be in an even stronger position as long as we have a good transfer transfer window in the summer.

March 13, 2017, 05:35:01 PM
Reply #44

Django

If we add Rooney into the mix, along with 2-3 high end additions, we'll see a better turnout in the Europa League than previously.

The higher the calibre of squad the bigger the will to win. We won't lose 5-2 away defending a 1st leg lead under Koeman.