September 23, 2017, 01:41:49 AM

Author Topic: [News]Lukaku: I want to be remembered for winning things with Everton  (Read 1469 times)

March 16, 2017, 04:45:02 AM
Read 1469 times

Everton News

Lukaku: I want to be remembered for winning things with Everton

Everton striker Romelu Lukaku has spoken to the media this week about his feelings at the club and the talks about him leaving the Blues this summer.

Source: Lukaku: I want to be remembered for winning things with Everton

deCoubertin

March 16, 2017, 05:32:43 AM
Reply #1

nsno

Couldn't agree with him more to be honest.  He's right about us living in the past. Don't get me wrong the eighties where a great time to be a blue but we as a club and fan base need to move on.  In the eighties I had a full head of hair, could do weekend benders and didn't have pubes 51 shades of gray but i now accept my current predicament. We as a club need to do the same.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

March 16, 2017, 04:42:03 PM
Reply #2

everton1952

I think Lukaku's views express very well what many Everton fans believe. I am tired of looking at the greats of the past, although to be fair we haven't had much to look at on the pitch since then. There is a kind of fatalism which believes that unless your owners are billionaires you cannot compete with the biggest clubs. Our record against the so-called bigger clubs is abysmal. I don't believe the Leicester feat will be repeated, but Spurs are showing signs of becoming a regular top 4 club. Can we achieve that? I doubt it will happen for some more years to come, which is why Lukaku may not be around to see it. If he stays another year we will get a much smaller fee for him, and zero the year after that. I hope he signs a 5 year contract and then if we fail to break through after 2 more seasons, then he can take off and we get a fortune for him. Has he got that patience to wait and see?

March 16, 2017, 05:28:28 PM
Reply #3

Evertonian in NC

Couldn't agree with him more to be honest.  He's right about us living in the past. Don't get me wrong the eighties where a great time to be a blue but we as a club and fan base need to move on.  In the eighties I had a full head of hair, could do weekend benders and didn't have pubes 51 shades of gray but i now accept my current predicament. We as a club need to do the same.

Worry - Lukaku is also speaking for Ronald Koeman's frustrations over ambition level.

Extreme worry - Lukaku is also speaking for Ross Barkley's frustrations over ambition level.

Let's hope this is more of a "loving nudge" to get things over the edge in the right direction as opposed to signs of a pending Blue apocalypse.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 16, 2017, 05:32:03 PM
Reply #4

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Why is it, just as soon as we get things running along smoothly, shit happens?

I want to remember Lukaku winning things with Everton too. First proper striker we've had since the 80s. Never thought we'd have a world class striker again. We gotta hold onto him.

Time for Moshiri to put his money where his mouth is, and not on Lukaku's contract, but on big signings this summer.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

March 16, 2017, 05:35:45 PM
Reply #5

Macca77

The thing is, we're on the verge of doing something special, we have money to spend, a new stadium on the horizon, the media are starting to take notice, I firmly believe that we will bring some quality players in during the summer and we will win a trophy next season, I honestly do.

March 16, 2017, 05:37:26 PM
Reply #6

blue1948

Yes ,I am pissed off with the constant speculation about his future and yes I wish he would stay but things will not change quickly enough so he will go .He is certainly the best we have had for many years but Ross will stay I am sure and we will move on .It will be a very interesting summer as I think anyone coming in will be early as Ronald will want to work on them

March 16, 2017, 05:39:02 PM
Reply #7

Bluedylan

Why is it, just as soon as we get things running along smoothly, shit happens?

I think that's the main reason some fans are quite upset about all this. It feels like a typically Everton undermining of a really positive time. And I understand that, and we all share the faint sense of dread as blues that something will somehow ruin anything good that happens. That permanent feeling of insecurity and impermanence unites us.

But in reality it's just someone not (yet) renewing his contract, and asking for the club to show their undoubted ambition more tangibly, something we all want to see.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

March 16, 2017, 05:55:03 PM
Reply #8

Paddockoldie

He makes sensible points but the problem isn't just splashing cash because to get the best you have to be an attraction. The stuff about City misses the point that City paid what it took and stated publically they are going to be the world's biggest club... they had that backing. We could bid for the best but would they come right now? No. He wants to leave for what they have I.e CL but won't see if he can get it here. The other month he talked about focusing on now, not too far in the future... now he says this!! He's young enough to have it all so to do this shows he wasn't genuine in what he said then.
If he wants to go it has to be on our terms.
As for the history but. Yeah, we focus too much on it.. the chant "And if you know...." grates on me if I'm honest because it makes us sound like a failing club boasting about its past. "The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime"

March 16, 2017, 06:01:29 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

Just what is he expecting to happen though in March, what can the board do now that they can't do in the summer? Let's just tell him we're gonna spend 300m and aim for the title next year, will that do it? Moshiri will know it's bollocks, Lukaku will know it's bollocks but it's telling him what he wants to hear.

Just keep your mouth shut, tell everyone we'll discuss your contract in the summer, aim for as high as we can in the next 10 games and then let's see how the board get on once the season ends before issuing thinly veiled ultimatums.

March 16, 2017, 06:06:38 PM
Reply #10

Evertonian in NC

He's saying it in advance of summer so we have time to plan, and so everybody knows why he isn't signing yet, but still might.

It's not that different from the frustrations Koeman voiced earlier during the season.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 16, 2017, 06:07:42 PM
Reply #11

Bluedylan

Just what is he expecting to happen though in March, what can the board do now that they can't do in the summer? Let's just tell him we're gonna spend 300m and aim for the title next year, will that do it? Moshiri will know it's bollocks, Lukaku will know it's bollocks but it's telling him what he wants to hear.

Just keep your mouth shut, tell everyone we'll discuss your contract in the summer, aim for as high as we can in the next 10 games and then let's see how the board get on once the season ends before issuing thinly veiled ultimatums.

I think one of the Echo journos said Tuesday was the day where he was meant to sign, and that's part of the reason there were a few journos down at Finch Farm to talk to him. So maybe it just came to the day and he thought 'I'm not ready to sign and I'm gonna have to speak up about it today'. This is another thing. He hasn't called a press conference and declared that shitty little Everton aren't good enough for him. He's down at the training ground answering questions from numerous journos about his future and he's responded to their questions.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

March 16, 2017, 06:08:47 PM
Reply #12

velimski

I might be mad but I get the impression he actually wants to stay.

March 16, 2017, 06:10:55 PM
Reply #13

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

It'd obviously be preferable if this wasn't aired so much as you can't take it that everyone will be rational about things.

Personally I find it quite interesting to actually hear what players' thoughts are, what the actual perception of the club is etc.

Much like it's interesting from Koeman etc.

You don't want everyone like that but equally it's really boring when everyone gives the stock bland answers or worse lies and the pisses off anyway.

March 16, 2017, 06:11:23 PM
Reply #14

Lxxx

I think one of the Echo journos said Tuesday was the day where he was meant to sign, and that's part of the reason there were a few journos down at Finch Farm to talk to him. So maybe it just came to the day and he thought 'I'm not ready to sign and I'm gonna have to speak up about it today'. This is another thing. He hasn't called a press conference and declared that shitty little Everton aren't good enough for him. He's down at the training ground answering questions from numerous journos about his future and he's responded to their questions.

He's a bright boy though, very articulate. He should have known where this was going. He could have just said something along the lines of he'd like to wait until the summer but until then he's going to try and fire us into the top 4 to make the decision a little easier! It would have been a positive story to spur us all on in the final run in and not a negative one it has turned into.